• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wondering the use of machineguns

Walk the recoil onto the target. Don't aim for center mass, aim low and let the gun kick your aim to the proper place.

Start at their feet, fire a three round burst. The first one might be too low, the second one will hit center mass, and the third one is likely to hit their heads.

The question remains as to why this is only needed with the LMG's...

All other MG's are laser focused for all shots.

Upvote 0
There's no way you can effectively use the MG34 in auto outside of 50 meters away in this game... as of right now anyways. I use it in semi 90% of the time and just rapid fire semi. They need to fix the recoil, and then the MG will be reborn into how it's supposed to be. There's not a whole lot to be afraid of with them now because you can't effectively use them to suppress anything.. Hell, you can't even hit them if you fire in 3 round bursts. It's pretty bad, honestly.

Honestly? I've hipshot people with the MG-34 farther away than 50 meters before. If anything hip firing should be more difficult than actually using the MG deployed. Other than that though, the MGs are very effective. Also remember that at level 1 you wont have any bonuses to weapon control. As you level up the MGs become drastically easier. Or maybe, some people simply havent put enough effort into controling recoil.

Upvote 0
I have never had to adjust my sights on the DP. I easily counter snipe with it at 150-200 ranges with no sight adjustments.

I put it to you, good sir, that you are not being as effective as you could be.

Try this: Adjust the sights, let a burst out. If you don't see green blobs sailing towards and into your target zone, adjust out more.

If you're not adjusting sights, you are hitting things by accident due to recoil, with most of your rounds pelting the ground before your target. Trust the tracers.

Upvote 0
The question remains as to why this is only needed with the LMG's...

All other MG's are laser focused for all shots.

You mean the massive, tripod mounted HMGs or the tiny SMGs firing piddly little pistol rounds?

One is a large artillery piece who's weight and stable firing platform negates a lot of the recoil and the other is firing a round that is a fraction of the size and power of the LMGs.

I have never had to adjust my sights on the DP. I easily counter snipe with it at 150-200 ranges with no sight adjustments.

See:

Try this: Adjust the sights, let a burst out. If you don't see green blobs sailing towards and into your target zone, adjust out more.

If you're not adjusting sights, you are hitting things by accident due to recoil, with most of your rounds pelting the ground before your target. Trust the tracers.

It is a matter of preference, of course, but the problem with not adjusting your sights is that your gun obscures the target, as you have to aim high. Adjust your sights and it's a lot easier to track and predict where they're going to go.

Upvote 0

if i am having no problem gunning down people at all ranges, i am being about as effective as i can be.

Upvote 0
Honestly? I've hipshot people with the MG-34 farther away than 50 meters before. If anything hip firing should be more difficult than actually using the MG deployed. Other than that though, the MGs are very effective. Also remember that at level 1 you wont have any bonuses to weapon control. As you level up the MGs become drastically easier. Or maybe, some people simply havent put enough effort into controling recoil.

My MG is @ level 14 right now. Not really a major difference at this point. Might be later, though.

Upvote 0
If you use the mg's to lay down broad suppressing fire, you will die. Your role is to eliminate enemy movement in a single area of the map, covering and freeing your teammates to safely move through that area.

Find a good hidey hole, cover a narrow lane of fire, only shoot when you have targets in your sights, only suppress when it's to you or your teams immediate advantage and you will rack up kills, piss off the enemy and help your team win.

Upvote 0
DeltaElite121 said:
I have done it also, but instead of single firing and using 2-4 rounds you end up using 12 rounds instead.
It depends on your ability to match your target with your aim, I suppose. I press "fire" very lightly and manage to place single headshots if I measured range correctly. Besides that you're operating machinegun, surely you can pass some more rounds that other weapons can't.

DeltaElite121 said:
especially if you're in a potentially nasty spot and reloading will get you killed if you do it at the wrong time.
Try to go prone behind a cover and reload then. Other solution for safer reloading is to reload while having your "c" key pressed - your character will make effort to be less visible and you still can reload while doing so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just tried out lvl 25 mg34 on Apartment and man it owns in long and close range.

At that level you have 75 round double drum mag with faster reloading and so little recoil that the only downside of hipfire is that freeaim makes it hard to tell where you are aiming at. But besides that it's pretty accurate. On prone it just destroy so hard.

Upvote 0
I think the problem is the rifles themselves. I've fired them in real life and its hard to steady the weapon in a standing position. But in game its very easy to hit your target while standing. They should maybe increase the weapon sway for heaver guns. The rifle sway in RO 1 was much more, and there was a delay in steadying your weapon. In RO2 there is little or no delay. In ro2 a rifleman is a walking tripod. Making it easy to pop out and hit your target in little time.

Upvote 0
I've always noticed the Axis to have all their MG slots occupied, maybe because the MG looks great and performs great, I've always loved how it looked and sounded from RO1.

The russians on the other hand I mostly see it like 1/3 or something... and each time I try and be an MG'er I simply get sniped by rifles.. I deploy, I die, I deploy I die, I manage to fire a few rounds I die... then again you gotta look for special locations to use it.

Upvote 0
I appreciate what KarmakazeNZ is saying, but you can't introduce psychological fear of death in a computer game very well. The "suppression" effect that "if they stick their head up they're dead" does not work. You can respawn, death means nothing. If you are out of ammo, it could be argued to be easier to simply blow yourself up with a grenade, or walk out into a MG line of fire, so you can respawn and get back into the action faster.

Obviously, that's not entirely true, but it illustrates my point. The fear of death is very minimal - you lose naught but a reinforcement point, a shave off your K:D ratio, and 20 seconds or so of game time.

This is, in part, why I like CD. Death means you're out for a significant length of time. It SUCKS to die, so you avoid it. Of course, most people logging in are there for a FPS, so aren't up with these sorts of mechanics so CD never gets played.

Imagine that every map was CD, and when you died you lost all of your XP. How would you play then? (Also, you don't have the option to not play, since it is hypothetical :))

As a balancing factor, we could consider speeding up the XP gain 20-fold.

i imagine i would get a refund and never think about RO2 again.

Upvote 0
MasacruAlex said:
The russians on the other hand I mostly see it like 1/3 or something... and each time I try and be an MG'er I simply get sniped by rifles.. I deploy, I die, I deploy I die, I manage to fire a few rounds I die... then again you gotta look for special locations to use it.
Soviet MG is great too. It all comes down to positioning.

I have just managed to secure right flank of the town hall on Spartanovka - killed any Nazi that tried to make it through. They had no cover while trying to pass and I've had good positioning that covered myself from the enemy fire.

I've got 2nd place with somewhere near 260 team points and over 20 kills as machine gunner because I decided to focus on defense.

Upvote 0
Soviet MG's main weakness is that you can't change the barrel...

Which makes you a pistoleer if you happen to wreck it.

That's what makes it an LMG which, of course, is not designed for sustained fire missions. Think of it as a fully-automatic battle rifle with a large magazine. That is all it is. The MG34 on the bipod is the same. They are not the MG's you are thinking of.

You can cook the barrel of any weapon, if you can fire enough rounds through it.

Upvote 0
Soviet MG is great too. It all comes down to positioning.

It's not a terrible gun by any means, but just wait until you get your hands on level 25 MG34. Or level 50 MG34 with 200 rounds belt fed version :D

Thankfully balance won't be an issue on many servers since you can just spawn with enemy weapons anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the problem is the rifles themselves. I've fired them in real life and its hard to steady the weapon in a standing position.

Are you a trained soldier that spent maybe three months firing hundreds of rounds a day at various kinds of targets, until you can do it without thinking, before you were even allowed into battle?

Or are you some guy who bought one because it sounded cool, and think plinking targets is anything like fighting a battle?

Upvote 0
If you use the mg's to lay down broad suppressing fire, you will die.

No you won't. Just don't hold the trigger down. That is not broad suppressing fire, that is wasting ammunition. This is broad suppressing fire:

That's the approach to the first cap zone on Grain Elevator (the gate house) notice how I have two dead Germans on my tally, and there are no Germans running into the cap?

THAT is suppressing fire. If you look at the building in the distance, you may see a rifle or two peaking out. When I saw one, I shot at the guy holding it. If a guy came out into the open, I killed him. We held that spot for 1/3 to 1/2 the round, MkB's be damned.

Upvote 0
Im not a fan of the DP28. The MG34 is much more effective.

Burst fire, when the barrel starts smoking change it. Stay within sprinting distance of a supply point. Ive also started to find players are now getting a bit weary of the MG ive seen a few players try and take me on when im deployed and they pop their heads round a building to take aim or just stand there like they are just dont care thinking their all so crack and get wasted by a burst of machine gun fire, only to come back again to try the same and again get mowed down. The crouch key is also very useful, stay down and then pop up to see whos in your firing arc if nobody is there get down again wait a few seconds and repeat. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0