• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wondering the use of machineguns

I'm usually the MG guy in my game. I usually like to use the MG34, as I want to unlock the bigger magazines. I don't think the DP even has any unlocks :|
As for the HMGs, the Maxim is a freaking beast. Almost no recoil, and a high rate of fire, it's just pure awesomeness. I was playing on Spartanovka, as Russians, and the first thing I did was sprint for the Maxim on the right side of the church, which covered the bridge, and a good portion of the gulley. For about 10 minutes, I sat there chewing guys apart, 22 kills in all, with 1 reload. I had to get off due to sniper fire, and I was standing behind the wall, when I got my head sniped, or hit by a stray bullet. You guys should try them out, truly are awesome in defense

Upvote 0
Im not a fan of the DP28. The MG34 is much more effective.

That's the beauty of realism. The guns are different and so what you might like, I might not. For example the MG34 has way too high a rate of fire. The real soldiers that used it in real combat said the same thing. On the bipod, it's so light and it's rate of fire is so high that it causes deviation during sustained fire, and makes keeping to short bursts a lot harder. The MG39/41 prototype and the MG42 that came from it are both heavier and slower firing.

I prefer the DP-28 for the same reason. The lower rate of fire means you can make more rounds count.

Burst fire, when the barrel starts smoking change it.
Well, there's your problem. If you are firing the gun rapidly enough to cause it to start smoking, you are wasting ammunition. I have never even seen the MG34 barrel smoke. If you are using it correctly, you shouldn't have to change the barrel of an LMG, which is why the DP-28 doesn't have that feature.

The MG34 is a GPMG, meant to be able to act as an LMG, with bipod, short bursts and constant movement, or as an MMG, on a crew-served tripod with optical sights and stand-off distance for sustained fire support. The latter role is where you change the barrel.

Stay within sprinting distance of a supply point.
I've never run out of ammo, either, even if my squad mates aren't supplying me. You have up to 15 kills before you need to reload, if you use one 3 round burst for each target. If you have to reload you're either killing the whole team by yourself, or missing. Try not to miss.

Ive also started to find players are now getting a bit weary of the MG
Because they are finally realising what real suppression is. The gamey "suppression" effects are not it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NinetyNine said:
Soviet MG's main weakness is that you can't change the barrel...
I guess you need to fire really long to damage it and you deserve that when it happens. I use machine gun for quite some time - I really like that class - and I have yet to see how wreck it's barrel.

Gaizokubanou said:
It's not a terrible gun by any means, but just wait until you get your hands on level 25 MG34. Or level 50 MG34 with 200 rounds belt fed version
It doesn't change MG's purpose. It only decrease need to reload which is good but not overpowered by any means. I see people on forums saying that gun X is weaker than gun Y, but I don't have any spectacular problems with any weapon to be honest.

Demonizer said:
Stay within sprinting distance of a supply point.
You wouldn't need that if people has been informed that machine gunner can be supplied by any soldier by pressing "ctrl" while being next to him. A lot of things isn't covered. No one is informed about variety of things and has to discover them on their own. Look here for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0