• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Windows KF Dedicated Server Tutorial

Hey, thanks for all the information, however, i've run into some trouble. I did each of the steps, step by step, and got a server up, but it seems that no one can see my game. There was not a kf_server_launch.bat in either the system folder, or the folder i was going to use for the Server info, so i made one in Both. Neither of them do anything. Both of the commands are:

ucc server KF-BioticsLab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6

I CAN get start a dedicated server from within the game, but once again, no one can see it. besides the people who are on my Lan. I've fowarded all the ports, I've made the Server folder, I've copied everything from the HLServer folder INto said folder. I've also tried just making a "Listening" server, to see if anyone could see it, but once again, only the people on my Lan could.

I don't know if I'm missing something, or i did something incorrectly. I've joined a few games with the Server's Creators in them and asked how they did it, and some of them just told me that they Fowarded their ports and made a listening server, and Ta da!

Anyway, any feedback or help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Can anyone explain how you set up multiple Dedicated Servers (Windows) on the same IP? I mean, I know I have to use a different port for each one, but how/where do I implement that?

Some pointers would be appreciated! Thanks!

You can change the port for each one in the KillingFloor.ini

At the very top section of the .ini under you can change the port from defau...o be changed to 28855 and 20563 respectively.

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for all the information, however, i've run into some trouble. I did each of the steps, step by step, and got a server up, but it seems that no one can see my game. There was not a kf_server_launch.bat in either the system folder, or the folder i was going to use for the Server info, so i made one in Both. Neither of them do anything. Both of the commands are:

ucc server KF-BioticsLab.rom?game=KFmod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6

I CAN get start a dedicated server from within the game, but once again, no one can see it. besides the people who are on my Lan. I've fowarded all the ports, I've made the Server folder, I've copied everything from the HLServer folder INto said folder. I've also tried just making a "Listening" server, to see if anyone could see it, but once again, only the people on my Lan could.

I don't know if I'm missing something, or i did something incorrectly. I've joined a few games with the Server's Creators in them and asked how they did it, and some of them just told me that they Fowarded their ports and made a listening server, and Ta da!

Anyway, any feedback or help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

After applying the recent server patch does this issue still persist? The patch is supposed to address this issue.

Upvote 0
Unfortunatly, Yes. Ports are still fowarded, i ran the HLdsupdate.bat again, rechecked everything in the .ini, Tried changing the BehindNat=False to True, and Nothing. If it matters, the 2 Kf_Server_Launch.Bat's still don't do anything. I still have to go into the game and start a dedicated server that way in order for me to put one up. Am i supposed to be putting the Server Folder (Where the Dedicated server information is going to be stored) In a specific place? I just made a new folder on the desktop. that could be my problem, but i don't remember the location being specified. Thanks for the response Arramus. Any more help and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
I suggest you both start again afresh. Make sure you add the server files to a main folder in your main drive just as in the tut.

Check that the KillingFloor.ini has the port number 7707 listed in the top section as this post presented it as errornously being added as 7757 in a previous build. It may have been resolved in recent patches.

Once your server is launched give me your Public IP addresses so I can attempt to join.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As you saw im19208, I could join your server directly via IP and I could also add your server to my Favourites list and it appeared with the name 'richos'.

At the moment I'm unable to see your server in the main server browser window or in the Steam server list although based on the various numbers they're returning. KF = 650 ~ 850 depending on mood | Steam = 733 I'd say there are still issues that may be beyond your control.

Upvote 0
Unfortunatly, Yes. Ports are still fowarded, i ran the HLdsupdate.bat again, rechecked everything in the .ini, Tried changing the BehindNat=False to True, and Nothing. If it matters, the 2 Kf_Server_Launch.Bat's still don't do anything. I still have to go into the game and start a dedicated server that way in order for me to put one up. Am i supposed to be putting the Server Folder (Where the Dedicated server information is going to be stored) In a specific place? I just made a new folder on the desktop. that could be my problem, but i don't remember the location being specified. Thanks for the response Arramus. Any more help and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

I finally noticed that my port forward in my router was not forwarding both tcp and udp for port 28852. Once I corrected that, my server showed up in the list immediately. Check your router just to be sure.

Upvote 0
Edit to admins: Sry I got the wrong thread thought this one was to both Linux and Windows. But i guess some things like -nohomedir ini=KillingFloor.ini log=server1.log also are needed with windows

------From here on original Post---------

First of all i would like to thank you for your work. Your tutorial helped me a lot setting up my server. By doing this I encountered some problems and found solutions everybody is asking here in the forum.
But first this link: http://wiki.fragaholics.de/index.code/EN:Linux_Kernel_Optimization

It should help you running your linux gameserver more stable. For beginners i would not use a 1000Hz Kernel. The importand things are the realtime,the to your hardware fitted kernel, and mostly importand the rescheduler and idler scipts. If you dont want a kernel try out the scheduler and the idler. Using Source Server (CS:S DOD:S etc) it helped me a lot.

You have to use another reschulder
Code:
#!/bin/sh

PIDS=`ps ax | grep sirq-hrtimer | grep -v grep | sed -e "s/^ *//" -e "s/ .*$//"`
for p in $PIDS; do
  chrt -f -p 99 $p
done

PIDS=`ps ax | grep sirq-timer | grep -v grep | sed -e "s/^ *//" -e "s/ .*$//"`
for p in $PIDS; do
 chrt -f -p 51 $p
done

PIDS=`pidof ucc-bin-real`
for p in $PIDS; do
  chrt -f -p 98 $p
done
Now to the Killing Floor Part:
Everybody is telling, that they can not find die KillingFloor.ini or and it is not created.
It is created. But everyone is looking in the wrong place. Enter your home directory and type:
Code:
ls -la
you will see something like this:
Code:
.killingfloor
kfserver
.killingfloor is a hidden directory with the subfolder System in it, in which you can find your KillingFloor.ini
This happens because the existing HowTo

Last edited:
Upvote 0