• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will we see our feet?

Being able to see your feet should be...

STANDARD

in shooting games of 2010+

There is usually good reasons for why its not included.I've seen several threads in games where developers responded with valid points as to why not include it.

Sure would add to immersion if done RIGHT, but defiantly nothing I would personally care about.

Upvote 0
I for one definitely want to see my legs, yeah you don't spend much time if any looking at them, but KNOWING they're there is what matters. It's the same as a racing game that doesn't have any damage: yeah sure, it's about racing not crashing, but you notice it, it's this horrible nagging feeling that you're not driving a car, you're driving an invincible brick :p

One of the best features of ArmA2 imo (and back to OFP as well), it made you feel like you were a soldier walking around in the world, not just a remotely controlled turret that shoots things, which may not matter if the only reason you play is to run around fragging everything that moves, but for immersion it's a must.

Can you imagine if there was no sky box? Sure most of the time you wouldn't notice, but you'd always know that there wasn't, it wouldn't feel real.

The more immersion the more you move to the right of this scale:

I am:
Sitting at PC - - - - - - - - [O] - - - - - - - - Shooting Germans.

The further to the right I can get the better.

Upvote 0
I especially hate games where you are driving and can't see your own hands on the steering wheel.
This. I think the same concept applies to a person's legs just walking as well.

Not to take this off topic but; if the inside of the tanks are exactly the same as in the 'never surrender' trailer where we can see everybody else inside the tank (including their feet ;)), I literally cannot wait.
It is.

YouTube - John Gibson's interview to www.redorchestra.ru at Igromir 2010 part2

Upvote 0
Since they developed the player's body in first person inside tanks, I bet they'll do the same thing to normal infantry (hope so, at least).

Would be a shame if not. Like previously said it's 2011 when the game's out. Earlier FPS couldn't do it either engine wise or simply because the gamers' computers weren't fast enough. But Crysis did an awesome job and simply put it in.
Running around with hand and gun feels like Unreal Tournament which HoS definitely shouldn't be, I guess we all agree on that. :)

Upvote 0
Would be a shame if not. Like previously said it's 2011 when the game's out. Earlier FPS couldn't do it either engine wise or simply because the gamers' computers weren't fast enough. But Crysis did an awesome job and simply put it in.
Running around with hand and gun feels like Unreal Tournament which HoS definitely shouldn't be, I guess we all agree on that. :)

Even Hitman 2: Silent Assasin had it in 2002. Not only could you see your feet, you could see your entire body. Unlike most shooters where the model you see in first person is client side and is unrelated to the model everyone else sees, in Hitman, the model you see in first person is the same model you see in third person, resulting in a 1:1 synchronization between third and first person animations.

It also improved spatial awareness greatly, as you could actually tell where your body and weapon were in relation to the game environment. Most shooters have the view model rendered in a separate environment to the world environment, so there is no way to intuitively tell whether, say, your gun is sticking out too far past the edge of that wall.

Upvote 0
Even Hitman 2: Silent Assasin had it in 2002. Not only could you see your feet, you could see your entire body. Unlike most shooters where the model you see in first person is client side and is unrelated to the model everyone else sees, in Hitman, the model you see in first person is the same model you see in third person, resulting in a 1:1 synchronization between third and first person animations.

It also improved spatial awareness greatly, as you could actually tell where your body and weapon were in relation to the game environment. Most shooters have the view model rendered in a separate environment to the world environment, so there is no way to intuitively tell whether, say, your gun is sticking out too far past the edge of that wall.
OFP did the same before hitman in 2001. In RO2 you have weapon collision so I guess it will be accurate with 3rd person too.

Upvote 0
This is somewhat similar to seeing our feet. When we see the animation of the germans, they are running with one hand holding the gun (which is amazingly accurate). But when the Germans run in first person, will we see our gun in one hand, or just not all as we will be running?

Of the footage I have seen I have seen, the Germans still seem to run while holding 2 hands while in first person

Upvote 0