• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will there be AT Guns? (Merged a gazillion times)

The Eastern front was full of PAK guns especially in epic battles like Kursk and Berlin. There was plenty of tank vs infantry for both sides as well as tank vs tank vs infantry on PAK guns. So adding working PAK guns would be a great addtion to RO but the small problem is we can not have a full crew to operate them because of few people. So I propose to make the PAK guns operate with 1-2 people each until 64 player support is implemented if ever. If PAK guns are implemented the Flak 88 must be added first.
I'd like to know if anyone is working on or willing to mod functioning PAK guns?:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see the same system that WWII Online uses. You can either be towed or push the AT gun. It uses a 2 person system, one as the spotter and one as the gunner.

I don't know the coding for the tanks, but I don't see why you can't use the same coding that you do for tanks in terms of the position (driver, gunner, etc) and in terms of movement. When you are the driver you can "push" the AT gun using the same coding as a driver in a tank would. When you switch to the gunner, it has the exact same coding as for example the Stug with it's limited cannon movement. Add in walking/rolling sounds instead of engine/tread sounds when you move.

I'd like to know what is so special about the coding of the tanks that would prevent somebody from modelling a pak 38 and using the code used for the tanks.

Upvote 0
In real life Pak guns are deployed well before the battle.
In RO the battle has allredy started and any Pak guns allredy in the map lose the element of suprise. Any Pak guns that are deployed in the battle need to be deployed behind the front line. This requires large maps with one team constantly retreating.
This means in each section of the map you will only get to deploy the Pak once before that area is the front line again.
Also, if the Pak is behind the front line, it will require at least one player to operate, wich means that he will be waiting for the front line to move back. This is a) defeatist b) a waste of a player who could be in the front line.
Then there are problems with deploying. RO only allows simple actions so the process of deploying would require a big change in the basic controls of RO.

Pak guns will not work in the RO enviroment.

Upvote 0
In real life Pak guns are deployed well before the battle.
In RO the battle has allredy started and any Pak guns allredy in the map lose the element of suprise. Any Pak guns that are deployed in the battle need to be deployed behind the front line. This requires large maps with one team constantly retreating.
This means in each section of the map you will only get to deploy the Pak once before that area is the front line again.
Also, if the Pak is behind the front line, it will require at least one player to operate, wich means that he will be waiting for the front line to move back. This is a) defeatist b) a waste of a player who could be in the front line.
Then there are problems with deploying. RO only allows simple actions so the process of deploying would require a big change in the basic controls of RO.

Pak guns will not work in the RO enviroment.
not true at all , you are thinking of the bigger 88's, pak guns were designed for quick deployment and menuevers in a battle , they were as important as a well placed machine gun.......

Upvote 0
It'd be great to have mortar teams implemented in Ostfront. Say have 3 riflemen able to use mortars with about 5 rounds each. Once the Commander designates a spot to drop arty as seen on the overhead map, the mortar teams run to an appropriate area to unleash their payload. The mortar guys would get points if they fired at the Commanders designated spot and if they didn't they would have a point or 2 subtracted from their score.

Heres an article about Soviet Mortars I saw which stirred my interest about the tactical and teamplay possibilities of mortars or a mortar class being introduced on specific maps...larger combined arms maps.
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ontheway/index.html

Upvote 0
@ Rommel
i hope the 88 will never see dailight in RO
the biggest reason is it takes more than 4!! minutes to deploy it
have fun q waiting then

True, it takes more than 4 minutes and all that but it's within reason to implement it in game and adjust/tweek it accordingly to fit in with Ostfront gameplay dynamics(Ostfront is still a game).Say make it only operable with a crew of 3 or 4 people.

In reality there was a crew of around 11 men, consisting of layer, trainer, breechworker, fuse setter, and five ammunition supply numbers, plus the detachment commander and tractor driver. When firing against ground targets two ammunition numbers became the range and deflection setters, and the fuse setter became an ammunition number. The senior ammunition number was in charge of ammunition supply and was the detachments second-in-command.

Upvote 0