• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will there be AT Guns? (Merged a gazillion times)

Anti-tank guns could and probably would work in this game. Only one person should be required to use one, just like tanks. Some kind of towing mechanism should also be implemented so that halftracks or trucks could tow the guns into position. Gun could have 2 spots in it, one would be gunner and other commander/loader. Gunner aims the gun and fires whereas commander spots (i.e. could peek over the gunshield/use binocs) and more importantly deploys the gun. Undeployd the gun should be moveable, albeit slowly and maybe stamina would also be used so that when you are fully fatiqued, you can't move the gun until you are again. Moving guns uphill should be impossible without towing.

Basically this kind of implementation is already done in World War II Online wargame and it works quite well. Guns should spawn just like tanks on the rear and they should be towed into action. If 2 persons would man the gun, then it could move tad faster or maybe it just could be pushed a bit further before the crew get all fatiqued. In ww2 online if 2 people man the gun, they don't get any benefits (except better SA) and thus I have never seen 2 persons using AT guns together.

Should the 88 be implemented, you'd do well to remember that we already have the gun modelled in tiger tank (only very slight differences, irrelevant for the game purposes) and I don't see it pwning everything left and right.

I don't know how much damage fidelity this game can cope, but things that could damage on a single gun could be tires (gun can't be rotated or moved, only barrel could be traversed) and maybe optics (leaving only open sights or possibly aiming straight through the barrel :), total destruction should also be possible (hit center of the gun and barrel/firing mechanism would be history). Every hit to the gun by tank shell should kill the crew outright but not necessarily destroy the gun, that way nearby infantry could try to engage the tank again with the semi-working gun. If this kind of damage fidelity is not possible, then when the gun is hit, just destroy it outright. In reality the gunshield worked against rifle caliber weapons and shrapnel and could not be relied to protect from anything else. Infantry should be able to destroy guns with satchel charges or panzerfausts. Grenades would just kill the crew. Also if the gun would have many ammo, then people should be able to resupply the gun just like MG is resupplied, maybe each resupply would give them 1-2 ap and 1-2 he ammo till they reach max capacity.

Upvote 0
repo.gif

Upvote 0
Pak guns although a large crew was required to use it especially late in the war and in desperate conditions like Salingrad the Pak guns were often undermanned because of the limited amount of soldiers. In RO (if they are implemented) why not reduce the crew size until 64 player support becomes available? As for the flak 88 the tiger I has an 88 yet most tanks still take 2 shots before dying from it. I don't think it would own everyone although it should anyway it is a stationary gun so it has a big vulnerablity. Moveable PAK guns well I agree they should be moveable after all the flak 88 was able to be towed but it would seem to be very difficult to code. If they are added the German PAK guns should be cleverly concealed in buildings and dug in positions especially on later maps.
I like the limited spawn and random spawn idea someone had:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that the mapper would have the choice of 2 different ways of deploying the pak guns... Either a single spawn for a already deployed pak gun which is immobile, although it would depend heavily on the mapper designing the map correctly to utilise it.

The second method should be done by spawning a halftrack or other light vehicle with the pak attached on the back. To deploy a player needs to get out of the vehicle and manually pull the supporting arms into position (by pushing the use key) , more players means more speed. Once deployed it would have a limited angle of view but it could be rotated by the same method as it was deployed and once again more players would be needed.

I think this would be quite interesting as it might force defending forces into a squad to provide support and help to the pak gun.

Upvote 0
how about this..... (presuming the guns arn't mobile but are kept in good positions)

make the AT gun respwan for an unlimited amount of times (or limited....mappers/admin should be able to change respawn options) if it is destroyed by tanks or arty.....but it will be permenently destroyed and will not respawn if an engineer blows it up with a satchel

this encourages the team to help to defend the guns, and also encourages them to attack enemy guns and cover the engineer whilst he blows it up

Upvote 0
ok heres my "other other idea"

Pak guns spawn in preset positions, they have a small degree of movement on the gun until more then 1 person joins the firing team at which time the gun can be pivoted 360 degrees and shots load a little faster.

The gun doesnt respawn: The reason for this is pak guns were hard to destroy, thats because the vital areas of the gun are very small. If they you think about it, theres no engine, tracks or ammo box, just the barrel. So an AP shell would have to hit one of this tiny areas to take it out, an AP shell into the blast shield (Whats the correct name for that peice of metal) wouldnt do any damage to the gun other then to maybe throw the aim off. So most tanks crews would shoot and HE shell at the gun and take out the crew. And since the hit detection is ROOST works well it could be modeled where a kill shot is. So it would work very well if the only way to take out a PAk gun was with a bomb or a direct hit on the key areas (which would be very rare).

There would be two player positions, position 1 doesnt all the work ie Shooting. It would work like an MG, you can use it yourself but you really should have backup, and this backup lets you move your gun more and protect you.

Upvote 0
towable mobile artillery/ mortars

towable mobile artillery/ mortars

Im new here and i FRICKING LOVE YOUR GAME!!! This has got to be the most accurate and realistic ww2 experiance ever!

I am very fond of the many strategic possibilities in this game from tanks , machine guns , sniper rifles , and anti tank rifles / rockets

But you are missing the most important part of all!!!
Artillery and mortars!

why is there no option to have towable flak 88's or pak guns? no nebelwerfers ? and no mortars?

please try to implement this in some of the big maps !!!'

EDIT **

The pak guns could spawn already packed up and connected to the vehicle that tows it ! like when you start up the round , the gun would already be attached to the halftrack! and you would Drive to the the desired area that the gun would be in , unhitch the gun , deploy it , then push it to the specific position in the area you want it to be ( like behind a bush , or sanbags) ! it works perfectly !

Last edited:
Upvote 0