• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will the game be more "mature/darker"?

SpiritSharD

Aug 17, 2009
I love Killing Floor, but I think one of the things letting it down to *some* degree was it's more colorful/comical atmosphere.

With the new lighting and ZED designs, I would be absolutely thrilled to see Tripwire take a more mature, grittier, darker approach, most specially in regards to the map design (which, judging by the images we've seen, looks to have improved significantly). As I mentioned in another thread, I think it would be awesome to be walking around in extremely dark areas, torch in hand, only to see a number of ZED's just pop up from behind a doorway or something. KF-WestLondon's underground area is a somewhat decent example of what I mean. I can imagine some pretty tense moments if this were the case (just looking at the new ZED's gives me the creeps).

Note that I'm not suggesting ditching the character humor or more peculiar map designs (KF-Hellride perhaps), and this is just my preferance. It would be interesting to see what other people have to say, and if perhaps a dev could give us a hint/some info as to what we should expect.

Alternatively, I could try learning UDK for the umpteenth time and actually cater to my own interests. :rolleyes:

This is exactly why I made the "Lights Out" maps, most official KF maps were very bright and colorful, so they werent really scary at all. This game had a lot of potential to make people crap their pants but they didnt use it much.

So I hope that changes in the sequel (judging by Wilsonams comment it will). However, like Spirit said, I dont want ALL maps to be ridiculously dark and scary, just give SOME selection of scarier maps for those who want to play them and another half can be a bit brighter, more casual maps which most players seem to enjoy.

Upvote 0
I really like the layout of the event maps actually. Abusement park, Aperture and Hillbilly Horror being my favorite. For me its not the maps but the latest addon characters and weapons. I don't mind the event specific specimens either. At first I was against them but getting over the fact they are just during the event, is making them not so bad after all. If only their hit boxes were properly aligned though.

Upvote 0
People need to know that the circus and Xmas events can be very horrific to just the average person.

All the maps, inc the circus and xmas event ones, are somewhat creepy in their own way...but that's it, they're creepy. Not scary, not horrific (in my opinion anyway). It didn't help that the older (by today's standards) engine was limited in the graphical department.

Dynamic lighting etc is fantastic and with what I've seen the game will certainly be more mature/darker, but it's up to Tripwire to utilize the opportunity available to them.

Otherwise we have modders, but still...

Upvote 0
I agree on the more mature theme, but a few wacky maps once in a while couldnt hurt!

Couldn't agree more. If said "wacky maps" are in the minority then does that really deter players from enjoying the rest of a dark and gritty game? If so, they're welcome to play vanilla Doom 3. :rolleyes:

I like Spirit's example of the dark underground in KF-WestLondon (travelling through there is always engaging) but I also like night time environments that are nicely lit so I don't have to crank the gamma for my HDTV (KF-FrightYard being my favorite. A non-KF example would be Ravenholm from HL2).

Being mature/dark/gritty doesn't have to be mutually exclusive to limited visibility. If I want to squint for the entire duration of a play session, I'd play DreadOut (which also happens to be gearing up to be a great game).

In my eyes, KF is about enjoying the variety of horrific tension and combat under any stage.

And variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just think that wacky bizarro additions to the game should remain exclusively optional or part of mods/mutators made by devs or not.

I don't want to see KF2 suffer the same fate as KF1 where it turns into a colourful joke and I'm able to beat a HoE game whilst jacking off thanks to the ezmode weapon additions that other players keep using.

Upvote 0
I just think that wacky bizarro additions to the game should remain exclusively optional or part of mods/mutators made by devs or not.

I don't want to see KF2 suffer the same fate as KF1 where it turns into a colourful joke and I'm able to beat a HoE game whilst jacking off thanks to the ezmode weapon additions that other players keep using.

Do remember, TWI isn't just catering to your pallet. Like stated above. TWI just needs to find a balance of the spices that make everything nice.

Upvote 0
Do remember, TWI isn't just catering to your pallet. Like stated above. TWI just needs to find a balance of the spices that make everything nice.

Too bad they did some kind of total switchover regarding the "pallets" in the middle of the game's life.

Heavy Metal, Level Up, and the first Crimbo/Summer events were totally great, but it went really bizarre from then on.

The worst part was how all the effort put into balancing the game previously was seemingly forgotten and pretty much undone.

If they want to balance the spices as you say, they'd best actually balance them out instead of spontaneously decide they want to cater to another palette altogether. Most people I've spoken to in my pallet don't even seem enthusiastic about KF2 as I am due to KF1's changes, which is a damn shame.

I'm really, really excited for KF2 because it's a chance for the game to be given a clean slate as the hardcore horror shooter it started out as in 2005. It's presenting itself as such, too. If this changes again, I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Upvote 0

I just learned a new word.

9377666853fb500f59b1e5ebe9704cc5

Upvote 0
I hate that portion of WestLondon. Sure have dark maps with little bits of light portions so you can get a frame of reference of where you're looking, and make it creepy but

a) not every map, not even 1/3 maps, maybe 1/4 or less
b) not pitch black a whole area of the map, this just sucks (imo) (maybe if you had like 1 map with some pitch black portions (and I would almost never play it))

Upvote 0