• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why does nobody play mare nostrum?

I've wondered if enough people realise that there is a patch 1.1a out, and are playing an older version instead.
Before there used to be a few servers, right now there are only 2 that i can see and usually they are only filled up by 2 or 4 people mostly.
I think these small patch things have divided the players a bit. I didnt know about it at first either, that could be due to a number of things (me being away and all) but i still dont have the feeling it was hugely advertised.

Upvote 0
But... Tanks dont have Lee Enfields mounted on them:confused::eek:
Really, tanks couldnt persuade me to go back to MN (not that i left, but imagine i did). It's a personal thing. You could release the tanks but if nobody is really into tanks then it still wouldnt do much.
Personally i play it cause i like the setting and another part is the Lee Enfield.

I just read through the other pages, and noticed advertising.
May i be so bold and say i made a gameplay video of MN on youtube?:D
Got more attention then most other video's i posted, have to say. So there definitely is interest in the mod.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqahf3PYUE0

Upvote 0
On the subject of tanks and maps that contain them... may I be so bold as to suggest that you guys dont make 'tank only' maps? Allow for some sort of infantry involvement. Nothing more boring than tank ping-pong.. especially inna bland desert environment.

That may be your opinion, but many people enjoy that so called "Ping-Pong". Alot of desert warfare was just that, between tanks.

Don't worry, I'm shure they will make maps for eveyones taste.

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by REZ
On the subject of tanks and maps that contain them... may I be so bold as to suggest that you guys dont make 'tank only' maps? Allow for some sort of infantry involvement. Nothing more boring than tank ping-pong.. especially inna bland desert environment

You should have the tanks . . . at least eventually.

The tanks were an integral part of the Desert Campaigns.

They mentioned that on the old World At War British TV history series about WWII.

Upvote 0
Played with close to a full server today.. Tobruk is indeed easier for the Germs. Others on the server (German server) were saying it too. We had over 15 minutes left and 76% reinforcements for the last two objectives. Much too much time. Easy victories.

Mauser, if the tank combat in RO were a bit more sophisticated than parking at an angle and ping-ponging away.. two hits and an explosive death.. hopping about from seat to seat.. 'popping' out of the tank like a zit at the press of a button - then and only then would 'tank-only' maps be a tad more appealing. The tank gameplay is just ..goofy. It only gets juicy if there are infantry around to make it so.

No, no Gamburd.. I'm not saying NO tanks.. just no 'tank-only' maps.. simply because the tanking part of this game is so basic, and those type of maps are server clearing yawnfests.

Upvote 0
I'd play if I had someone to play against. Here in Aus it's getting harder and harder to get a decent game of vanilla RO, let alone MN. My record so far is 6 players and that lasted for around 30 seconds. Most of the time it's been 4 people or less.

Slightly off topic; what's the deal with the Enfield model? All the new stuff looks high quality and very appropriate for RO with the sole exception of the Enfield, which seemingly has less polys and definitely lower quality textures. I can only assume it was the first bit of content that was made? I mean, it's not bad by any stretch, but it looks very out of place.

Upvote 0
Couldn't they release a map that plays well with only 8 people and only has playerstarts for 8 people, so no-one is going to abuse it for 50 man mass-carnage? Something like BaksanValley but maybe a tad smaller still.
It would be a good map to hold players online until more people see others online and join in.
Heck, they could even make more maps of that type as that would be great Lan material. Vanilla RO is unplayable with just four to eight players and if MN could offer tactical maps for less people that would be another reason to play it. I imagine those maps would run faster too, due to their limited size so they (and MN) would appeal more to lower-end folks too. One reason for Koitos' success was that it ran better than most RO maps, I'm sure.

Upvote 0
No, no Gamburd.. I'm not saying NO tanks.. just no 'tank-only' maps.. simply because the tanking part of this game is so basic, and those type of maps are server clearing yawnfests.

That's why there are dedicated tank srevers whcih are almost always full then? :rolleyes:

I am not the biggest fan of tank maps personally, infantry combat is where I'm at, I love combined arms maps too like Hedgehog, but to not have tank maps in an african campaign would be a disservice, and make MN a weaker proposition imo Different strokes n all that.

Upvote 0
That's why there are dedicated tank srevers whcih are almost always full then? :rolleyes:

I am not the biggest fan of tank maps personally, infantry combat is where I'm at, I love combined arms maps too like Hedgehog, but to not have tank maps in an african campaign would be a disservice, and make MN a weaker proposition imo Different strokes n all that.

I completely agree :D

Upvote 0
somebody, open arad in editor, select sand texture, open terrain actor, select the grass layer, rightclick on it and press "set texture for current"
then select all the trees, then in their properties replace them by palmtrees.

and finally rename the map from RO-arad to MN-El-aradey :p now you just need tanks and tankers!

Upvote 0
Couldn't they release a map that plays well with only 8 people and only has playerstarts for 8 people, so no-one is going to abuse it for 50 man mass-carnage? Something like BaksanValley but maybe a tad smaller still.
It would be a good map to hold players online until more people see others online and join in.
Heck, they could even make more maps of that type as that would be great Lan material. Vanilla RO is unplayable with just four to eight players and if MN could offer tactical maps for less people that would be another reason to play it. I imagine those maps would run faster too, due to their limited size so they (and MN) would appeal more to lower-end folks too. One reason for Koitos' success was that it ran better than most RO maps, I'm sure.

MN-FallenEmpire, in it's current state, is setup for a lower-population server as-is. I'm sure you will find the gameplay on it alot different with only 8-16 people versus a 32/40/50 pop server.

Upvote 0