• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why are people such babies about tanks?

I guess it can be found somewhere in the SDK. But if you want to try a thing like that, then I already have a mutator at hand which will allow you to get an unmanned tank on the map at which you then can shoot with an AT rifle to find the weak spots :D
It's actually a mutator that prevents a tank to blow up if the last huan leaves a tank. So you start a map as tank commander and wait 'till after you have spawned. Next you select the AT role and you will respawn with the AT gun while your tank is still on the map, but without any driver (it just stands idle). You can practice where to hit a tank ;). The mutator is not white-listed (and never will be), meaning server is unranked. This will prevent people to miss-use it to rank up there AT role.

I have been thinking to make a mutator that puts the damage values on the screen for each hit on a tank. That would be handy for AT practice. That mutator should never be white listed. It's just for practice purpose.

Cool idea.

As a work around, I fired up Gumrak in practice mode and started firing into friendly tanks to find the weak spots. Either the damage multiplier is screwy in practice mode, or the L/43 gun kills Panzer IVs in one shot from almost any angle, no matter where I hit the damn things. I'd say 90% of the shots, the tank brew instantly - even when I was aiming for just the tracks, or turret.

Upvote 0
What's Wrong with Christies suspension? The T-34 was faster cross country....Really, all these things you have pointed out should have no effect in game...and...although were a little bit of a bummer in 1942, did not make the T-34 so outclassed as it is in game currently.

Now if that Is true, then that's a bit problem too, but even so it's pretty small potatoes since anywhere else things explode and people die in the t-34. But yes, Hitboxes need to be improved, but for everything wrong with the T-34 armor, there's 4 wrong with the panzer....and all in the panzer's favor (unlike the t-34 which gets destroyed frntall in the turret by AT guns).

But yes, If the german tank is modeled incorrectly and is simulated with the 80mm armor, this could explain things...at least frontally (the issues from the side are still silly)...however, since the Germans get Pzgr. Patr. 39 round, and were stuck with a normal AP round...instead of the BR-350P APCR round....how is that fair?

The lack of radio in the T-34 was a huge factor. It made each tank an individual fighting on the battlefield, as opposed to the organized team that the Germans were. It's also a simple thing to add into the game, just make the T-34 crew unable to communicate in any way with the rest of the players.

As for the German armor vs the T-34 gun; German armor was face hardened. The BR-350A had a well known tendency to shatter upon impact with face hardened armor at close range. This was the main reason for the Russians switching to the BR-350B, but that didn't enter production until 1942, so the T-34 in game is probably firing BR-350A rounds. The BR-350B had a smaller HE charge to strengthen the shell, and was better, but could still shatter upon impact at close range. The BR-350P is simply outside of our time frame.

Upvote 0
...Pzgr. Patr. 39...It's a Capped High explosive round.
Actually, it is an APCBCHE round:

111gdz.jpg

The soviets on the other hand used the uncapped APBCHE which is inferior. Look here:

333yx.jpg

222ded.jpg

Interesting. I would have thought the sloped armor would have made a bigger difference on the T-34's glacis armor
Not against high velocity weapons. Sloped armor is only a fraction of the big picture. Actual thickness of the sloped plate and its armor quality need to be considered as well. Even a 50 mm L/60 could get through slope

code....50 mm
Thanks Ducky.

Upvote 0
The lack of radio in the T-34 was a huge factor. It made each tank an individual fighting on the battlefield, as opposed to the organized team that the Germans were. It's also a simple thing to add into the game, just make the T-34 crew unable to communicate in any way with the rest of the players.

While realistic, I don't think it's in the scope of the game. Maybe somebody could make a mutator, but to do this right, nobody should have full map coverage radio. It would have to be all local chat, allow local chat with the tanks, and even semaphore (flag communications) between tanks. I don't really see that happening anytime soon.

Upvote 0
While realistic, I don't think it's in the scope of the game. Maybe somebody could make a mutator, but to do this right, nobody should have full map coverage radio. It would have to be all local chat, allow local chat with the tanks, and even semaphore (flag communications) between tanks. I don't really see that happening anytime soon.

The German tanks would be able to communicate with other tanks, and the commander (when near a radio). The Russians did use flags, but did they use them in combat? I doubt I'd be standing up in an open hatch waving flags around while under fire, but then I'm not a crazy Ivan either... :)

I doubt it will ever happen either, but it's nice to dream about an "Ultimate Realism Server".

Last edited:
Upvote 0