• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"What we are up to" - Feb 3rd edition

Me personally would not like to see any kind of bandaging in this new mode. That's what it boils down to. You do. Pointless to argue any further.

You should have said that from the beginning instead of arguing based on personal bias.

the only difference between the two modes now is hud options. There are no gameplay differences. You get more info and can see team mates names over their heads, that is ALL.

Just replace the current mode with the realism mode so you have two different modes that are actually distinct.

Then also add in the customization so people can get what they want out of the hud and turn the rest off then any player can get back to where they were before...

From what I remember, originally it was supposed to be two presets: relaxed realism (now RO2 regular) and normal/realism (what seems to be RO classic) with a third option to the server owner of customizing anything. TWI has since been quiet on the third customizable option for reasons I don't know. Maybe they ran into problems? Not sure. But going back to what was originally planned would seem to solve all problems. It's really odd to see such a lack of clear direction from the team week after week, especially when original plans seemed perfectly fine.

Upvote 0
Hehe you guys didnt my Danzig/Apartments explanation. :)

Yes Danzig is Apartments but Danzig ran with RO mechanics. Apartments will run in RO2 mechanics with addition of Classic mechanics. RO2 mechaics are all about twitch console play and people hate that so classic mode brings back slow and steady RO play.

My worry is combining those 2 together. It could be great, it could be a catastrophe. I just brought up Danzig/Apartments as an example.

Upvote 0
Not very thrilled.

2 I can straight off agree with.

I hope you're trolling. That's a useless feature that will waste developer time to code and animate in. It didn't have any effect in RO:OST and it doesn't have any effect in RO2. So why not just let the bayonet be there all the time? Do you really want to press F every time you spawn to attach a bayonet? REALLY?

That's because they're LIGHT machine guns that you're supposed to burst-fire with, not hold the trigger and spray an area. I was in the army, and that's how we were taught. Take your complaints to Finnish Army please. Nothing against tweaking, but imo it's fine.

Edit: Did you downvoters even read my post before just hitting the red button?

Poerisija, Poerisija, Poerisija....

Why are you always so arrogant and ignorant?

Bayonets DID have an effect on your accuracy, it's even in the manual. There are also other reasons besides the accuracy argument. Aesthetics are also important. (See selecting upgrades you want).
Plus the recoil of the MG is not realistic at all. It should go downwards instead.

It appears almost 75% of all the forum members "been in the army" lol xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Poerisija, Poerisija, Poerisija....

Why are you always so arrogant and ignorant?

Bayonets DID have an effect on your accuracy, it's even in the manual. There are also other reasons besides the accuracy argument. Aesthetics are also important. (See selecting upgrades you want).
Plus the recoil of the MG is not realistic at all. It should go downwards instead.

As to why I'm arrogant? It's in my nature, plus I'm one of the apparently very few people here who have actually fire firearms in real life and in combat simulations. Ignorant? No, if I'm presented a well-thought argument backed up with proof, I'm willing to change my view on things. As long as the arguments are "BUT RO:OST WAS PINNACLE OF REALISM (it wasn't btw)" I'll keep on ignoring them.

It's in the manual. And it's still a lie. Bayonets didn't have an effect, it was tested and IIRC someone even looked it up in the game files. Aesthetics can be argued, but IMO it's a waste of developer time. Sure, it's a nifty feature, but all in all 100% useless.

(Taken from the RO-Spain interview.)

"RO.es: Will attaching a bayonet to the gun affect the accuracy of the weapon at all?

As far as I know, in-game, having the Bayonet attached has no effect on the ballistics.

The only time you need to zero your iron/telescopic sights is when engaging targets at over 150m+.

When playing the RO mod for UT2004 awhile ago, I got an opportunity to ask a dev who was playing on the server I was on if bayonets affected a rifles accuracy, the responce I got was "It should, but it doesn't.".

And one saying where a dev said "effect is small and goes away when rested" but I managed to close the tab before I could quote.

Dug that up on google. Results are mixed, but I tested it myself and if there is any effect, it's not noticable in normal gameplay because I didn't see it and I was frigging testing to find it.

Spoiler!

You do know army service is mandatory in Finland? We have a conscription. You want proof? There, you can find the uniform and beret on google "Parolan Panssariprikaatti". I think quite a lot of people actually HAVE been in the army, games like Red Orchestra tend to attract militaristic people.

About the LMG, I never actually fired one, but I saw plenty of them being fired. They always burst-fired, never full-auto. Can't say how the recoil looks from first person perspective, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Jokes aside, Roost was not realistic. But it gave a realistic gameplay that's a fact. RO2 many realistic features, it game an unrealistic gameplay. Needless to say having combination pf both would be the best.

As for the bajonet, in roost it made no difference on accuracy but it added more sway from the hip. Feel free to look into the code if you feel so strongly for it.

I bet no one really wanted to shoot much with the MG either, as it takes hours of time to clean, just for shooting mindlessly in a simulation drill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Project reality is not what RO should go for, aside of its clumsy implementation into the BF engine. There is no teamplay, only point playing it with clans. Suppression and the other effects work because there is few and short engagements. That's not how RO is, never were.

The way they are going now is for the best imo. But how it will work out is uncertain, but I am looking forwards to with tension and happiness. I doubt I'll give twi a third chance...

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0

Hardly unusual wrt finns, considering that's about the number of male population who serves in the finnish army.

Mind you, finnish army apparently went from PKM to some indigenous light machinegun that has not exactly been loved by users. But that's perhaps beyond this discussion. And, no, as a desk jockey, I only played soldiers the minimum amount so never actually used one.

Upvote 0
I will disagree with you that ROHOS is a more realistic experience, but as has been pointed out, that is more in a players perception of things.

Mm. Wrong.

Realism aka simulation fidelity is one thing that can in fact be objectively determined. And limiting in-game visibility to something moderately nearsighted guy without glasses would see isn't that realistic. Ditto for complaints about "too fast gameplay".. I've linked before to the study where sprinting speed was measured for full combat gear with body armor and just clothes. In-game speed falls between the two so I don't see a problem with base speed. It would needs adjustment on stairs, rubble and so on, of course. Also falling flat on your face is completely missing, try running down a flight of stairs with a stick in your hands sometime..

Upvote 0
I second the idea of shoving players who are blocking the entrances.
Yeah, me too. I think it would be a far better mechanic than either no collision (stupidly unrealistic and annoying most of the time) or full collision without shoving (unrealistic in the opposite direction and occasionally annoying too).

I think shoving has potential to be annoying too, but less so than the other options - it at least has to be worth trying!

Upvote 0
Hooray for common sense! (and boobies)

Yeah, game trying to be realistic with actual bullet ballistics needs to have added 70-200ms delay added to every shot which changes unpredictably from server to server, map to map and during match depending on server load. 200ms lag means shooting someone with mosin nagant point blank needs same lead as someone 150 meters away.

I don't think "common sense" means what you think it means.

Upvote 0
Yeah, me too. I think it would be a far better mechanic than either no collision (stupidly unrealistic and annoying most of the time) or full collision without shoving (unrealistic in the opposite direction and occasionally annoying too).

I think shoving has potential to be annoying too, but less so than the other options - it at least has to be worth trying!

I'd also like screen indicators (like bullet whips but in different color) when somebody is touching you, so you at least know when you're in the way.

Upvote 0
Mm. Wrong.

Realism aka simulation fidelity is one thing that can in fact be objectively determined. And limiting in-game visibility to something moderately nearsighted guy without glasses would see isn't that realistic. Ditto for complaints about "too fast gameplay".. I've linked before to the study where sprinting speed was measured for full combat gear with body armor and just clothes. In-game speed falls between the two so I don't see a problem with base speed. It would needs adjustment on stairs, rubble and so on, of course. Also falling flat on your face is completely missing, try running down a flight of stairs with a stick in your hands sometime..

Oddly enough, if you actually read any of what I have written, then you will see that I like the zoom feature of ROHOS and I think the running speed is just fine.

I have a problem with a few other things I am not going to rehash.

However, I will say that any feature which causes more unrealistic behavior really isn't all that realistic to begin with no matter what you try to say.

Upvote 0