• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What new types of Zeds would you like to see in the future?

But should be still reachable for the meele perks.:D

I imagine out doors they would do a swoop attack then hover at head height for a while, maybe flapping around biting people in the face, before returning to the sky for another attack run.

Plus, the Nail Gun and Eviscerator are both Berzerker class weapons that could handle them.

But yeah. Any flying enemy needs to get into melee range at least some of the time so they're not complete pests.

Upvote 0
Mid tier glass cannon

Mid tier glass cannon

I imagine some sort of fast moving, high-dps, low health creature would be in order, maybe a canine that howls as it starts it's sprints toward the group of players.

Of course this shouldn't be a one-hit-kill type of creature, I fear that might be too unbalanced. Maybe two to five hits could do it?

It would either need to be shot down before it can do real damage or parried by a berserker.

Upvote 0
Mixing teleportation and cloning : an enemy which would have a power to create short-lived clone of himself when it spots you, given then a part of its HP.
Let's say one every 2 seconds, as long as it has the necessary HP, with a lifespan of 10-15 seconds.
They then would merge with the original giving him back their remaining HP.

Upvote 0
I'd love an evolving Zed like other people have suggested around the internet, where it starts off weak, but if allowed to survive long enough it's a heavy threat like a Scrake or Fleshpound. It would make kiting around the map a lot more viable, without directly nerfing camping as you could still take it out after it evolved, it's just that it's unpredictability makes it a lot more deadly.

Upvote 0
Shiver would be great to see. (or not see :D)

Remind me of the cyst for some reason! :D

I was thinking that a stalker that could pass through walls/doors.... if/when welding becomes more important. Having a zed that can pass through defences would be fun! :D

Flying crawlers that take a dump on you (outside maps only I guess), maybe some of the two floor rooms indoors.

The Recycler... a zed that is immune to any bullet or sawblades. Acts like a sponge for bullets and sawblades and can regurgitate them into flying blades from range. Can only be taken down by melee or grenades.

Raging Hulk... an SC type variant that can rip pieces of floor, walls, furniture and throw them at the players.

Projector... a variant of the husk that can project a number of zed holograms (depending on difficulty) which only shimmer if shot or whacked by a melee weapon. Wasting bullets or time/effort. Shouldnt impact on the wave count. Causes players to focus on the wrong priority target! :)

She-devil.... siren variant that can "control" a players actions unless her "focus" is broken. Either paralysing a player or (harder diff) turning a player and forcing them to fire or team mates.... :D Must be in LoS of target. One target can be manipulated at a time. If "only" player, then she-devil will only paralyse from a distance and give them the chance to shoot them if in los. I was thinking they would suicide the player but its only a game right!? ;) :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a stalker variant more than a new one entirely but I just thought of the idea from somewhere.

A stalker who goes invisible only when she's spotted/turned hostile towards players. So she is more likely to be caught short or seen uncloaked sometimes. However upon cloak she presents a decoy, possibly uncloaked, that has half health and is there just to distract while she closes the distance.

I can see a pack of these confusing unprepared groups, can be countered by commando seeing the real copy.

Upvote 0
I'm most interested in seeing middle-tier enemies that are specifically designed to be countered by one or two perks. Every perk would still be able to kill these enemies, but in a less efficient manner. Some possible examples:

• Support - an enemy with high health but a weak head... protected by a helmet. Other perks have to destroy the helmet to damage the head but the Support's shotgun penetration allows him to damage the head through the helmet (presumably because the many pellets ensure some get through the gaps in the helmet)
  • Commando - fairly weak flying enemies that are best dealt with by long range, high capacity, fast firing weapons
  • Berserker - the Brute or something similar to it that has a charge that can be stopped by parrying. This enemy should be damage resistant until it exits its charge, one way or another.
  • Medic - an enemy covered in toxic needles that it can launch from range. These needles deal very little initial damage but apply a poison that deals a fair amount of damage over time. Heals (including contact with a medic grenade) immediately cancel the poison.
  • Demo/Firebug - a relentless enemy with detachable limbs that will not die until it has been reduced to a torso. Loss of the head will reduce its awareness, loss of leg(s) will reduce mobility to hopping/crawling, and loss of arms will force it to resort to kicking/biting. Explosions can detach all limbs and the head simultaneously while fire will fully incinerate the enemy after sufficient damage

These specific examples of enemies may or may not be optimal, but I think the overall idea is sound. This should make the middle rounds more threatening than they are now and encourage a diversity of perks. But at the same time no perk would really be required to kill these. A Berserker might be the ideal class to parry with but everyone can do it, and while a Medic can keep an entire team free of poison players can still use syringes or an off-perk medic pistol.

Ok I re-read these and absolutly LOVE your ideas not only for each Zed but the reason behind them for making each class have a zed they are better equiped to deal with thus really enforcing the need to mix up kits on a map.

Upvote 0
Somethings to possibly encourage movement:

Pyrokenisis Zed: Wanders around randomly, does not care for where the players actually are and does not appear aware of what is happening around it. However it casts a telekinetic spell every so often that causes a small fire to appear on a player (delayed cast with a graphic effect to warn them of the incoming flames) that creates a small, 2m wide dead zone that causes damage over time if stood in. Will encourage players to try and go hunt the things once fire patches start appearing. Will need to be very weak for it to be balanced I guess, also will not be able to cast the spell if there are doors in the way, just to make sure there are no annoying moments where players cant get to the zed because of welding.

Broodmother: A large Zed like the Fleshpound or Scrake. She hangs around the borders of the combat area, trying to avoid fighting and shuffling her huge bulk about slowly. Every few seconds she births (level of graphic content left to your imagination) about 5 crawlers who then home in on the players. If left to its own devices and ignored will become a horrid drain on ammo over time due to bullets being wasted on basic crawlers.
As a defense she has a wide melee attack and delayed cast projectile barb attack that she launches at any player causing her direct damage, meaning a Sharp could pop around a corner at intervals trying to take her out or, maybe, a firebug could set her alight and hope for the best.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of damage type resistances and weaknesses being brought more into focus, perhaps making some of the clot variants have resistances and weaknesses as well. Give them some more color or a 'tell' that reflects their defence type, so maybe gorefasts are weak to bullets/resistant to sharp, and a clot variant with gorefast-like muscling/noskin would be the same

Upvote 0
Do you guys remember those flying pumpkins in Castlevania SotN? They were located in the reversed castle, and would explode upon death, spreading some kind of flower buds.

Now, imagine a zed which explodes if nearby or shot down, spreading these light and deadly charges (i imagine them being glowing green/orange) which might disappear in a few seconds. But if you touch them you suffer from a temporary secondary effect, like being slowed down or blurry vision.
I think it would be cool to have a top tier zed which does so, walking slowly but with a good amount of health. To prevent its instant death due to overshooting, it could get a defense boost with countdown. The more you shoot like crazy the more armor it gets. The explosion of the zed would be no big deal, the real threat being the flower buds effect. Oh and maybe it could switch its dominant colour when the "spread" countdown starts, but it should be at least 45 seconds in order to prevent players to trigger it on purpose and then just flee away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the idea of damage type resistances and weaknesses being brought more into focus, perhaps making some of the clot variants have resistances and weaknesses as well. Give them some more color or a 'tell' that reflects their defence type, so maybe gorefasts are weak to bullets/resistant to sharp, and a clot variant with gorefast-like muscling/noskin would be the same

Gotta be careful not to go too far though, or you end up with ZEDs with overly gimmicky resistances. (Immunities or near immunities.) I suppose as long as resistances are obvious (like maybe the charging ZED has a giant metal dozer blade attached to his arms he keeps forward) I'm not that opposed. But I wouldn't want KF2 to reach "shoot the guy in his glowly bits" levels of design.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about the flying ZED.
Do you realize this means you have to cover a handful of additional attack paths? Considering KF2 is already more challenging in that regard this could end in total chaos on pubs. I don't know if I'd enjoy constantly spinning in circles in search for whatever backstabbed me this time... like a dog hunting his own tail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Couple thoughts on that:

It's all about where they hover generally, and how paths might conceivably be laid out. A body length above normal ZEDs doesn't really put them out of your field of view. If the paths roughly cleave to other ZED pathing, it keeps them all generally in your field of view too, along known attack routes. Give them a few alternate paths to keep it spicy, make their damage annoying when alone, threatening when in numbers...I think it'd work out. It'd be nice to have an enemy who (at least you'd hope) wouldn't be hamstrung by obstacles like every ZED in the game right now.

I don't know if I'd enjoy constantly spinning in circles in search what backstabbed me this time like a dog hunting his own tail.
I feel like I already doing that because of crawlers :(

"Why am I not moving and dying to this scrake chainsaw?"

"Crawler."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would like to see a new heavy zed that is quite the opposite of the other two heavies we have. I can imagine a zed that holds the appearance of a small child, but has the health of a flesh-pound, maybe more.

This zed would spawn out of line of sight of the survivor(s) and scream (off screen but in a location that at least one player could turn and see without moving). The zed would then have a countdown so that if no one looked at it during this time, it would teleport closer with distance depending on difficulty. If it was looked at it would curl up into a ball and cower. Allowing the players to either abandon everything and try to burst it down or force one player to stop whatever they were doing and stare at it no matter what. This would make Clots more of a threat as well.
The child zed would eventually teleport right on top of the players and unleash a scream similar to the sirens but instead a large dome of rushing air or telekinetic force doing damage similar to that of one of Han's gas grenades to all of those around it.

This zed would require a large amount of coordination from a team to lock down but an organised team could nullify it as a threat completely if they covered each other.

Upvote 0