• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What # Most Enjoyable?

Hi guys! :)

I was wondering, what number of players in a server do you find to be most enjoyable? :) Having too few players makes the game horribly stale, but having too many players turns into a zerg. What do you feel is the magical amount?
about 40 on most all the maps we have, works for me. the number of players really changes how the map plays out.

Upvote 0
it really depends on the map, but in this regard it's no different than Ostfront was. When Ostfront went from 32 to 40 and then 50, and then 64...each step was either really fun on certain maps or really lame on certain maps. Imagine trying to play Berezina on a server capped at 32. Or now trying to really dig into Bridges capped at 32.

Smaller maps like Apartments (Danzig) do better with about 20-30 players. That map is a direct descendant of an Ostfront map when Ostfront was capped at 32 players. Put 64 players on it and it's pure misery for me. Last night I played it with under 40 and had fun.

Red Oktober Factory can 'sort-of' handle 64...but that really pushes it.

Bridges, Winterwald, the new version of Rakowice....sure those maps can handle 64.

It is totally map dependent, and I wish server owners would think about running only rotations that concur with the number of slots they are trying to fill....but I know that's touchy as well.

Upvote 0
Oh crap. :( It seems like the answer differs depending on what map you're playing. That makes things more complicated!

With the limited experience I have with RO2 I can say that I enjoy 32 player servers more than 64 player ones. Because I don't get instantly shot by some guy camping in every other corner. But being on a 32 server can get quite dull when some people start to leave and you only got 10 on each team. Hm.

Upvote 0
1) Depends upon the quality of players on (read that as teamwork).
2) Depends upon the map....

For example:

Apartments with 64 really good players is almost always a stall at A and B for the Russians. While Red October Factory can be challenging and anyone's game with the same players. Some of the custom maps are equally as fun.

But lets face it. Sometimes, regardless of the players or the map, there are times when a team gets steamrolled.

Upvote 0
I enjoy 64 player maps, but that's mostly because I play MG, so its more targets :D

Apartments with 64 really good players is almost always a stall at A and B for the Russians.

Really, that seems to be the opposite of my experience Russians can run up against the middle wall and you've got 10 guys on B that cap it and have to run 5m to start capping A.

Upvote 0