• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Vote on difficulty

Difficulty voting

Difficulty voting

I'm in complete disbelief that there isn't a way to do this in game, let alone the lack of a mod.

This is almost as important as Map Voting, IMO.

We have a community server, and players of a wide range of skills. I'm the admin, but I'm not on as often as I'd like. So, I'm not there to change the difficulty if we have a group of skilled players on that want to play at a difficulty higher than normal.

I could allow for more admins, but even then there's no guarantee one will be on when we want to switch to Hard from Normal.

So, we may have to run two seperate servers just for difficulties sake. Kind of silly. :(

Anyway, if the devs read this can you pretty please look into difficulty voting? It's a glaring omission, IMO.

Upvote 0
Wow, an "it is what it is, go someplace else if you don't like it" post on the Internet. How surprising.

Actually, there are two perfectly adequate controls that counter your points.

1) I could choose whether or not to enable difficulty voting on my server
2) my server is password protected

So I don't have people I don't know on my server, and if it became a problem I could simply disable the option.

Given those points, I can't imagine anyone having an issue with the option being available to those who would like it.

Upvote 0
Conversely as an admin I would not want people changing the difficultly. It is what it is. If you don't like it go somewhere else. Supposing a regular joined only to find out a bunch of clowns had already changed it to beginner. It would just alienate the regulars you like playing with.

Wow, an "it is what it is, go someplace else if you don't like it" post on the Internet. How surprising.

Actually, there are two perfectly adequate controls that counter your points.

1) I could choose whether or not to enable difficulty voting on my server
2) my server is password protected

So I don't have people I don't know on my server, and if it became a problem I could simply disable the option.

Given those points, I can't imagine anyone having an issue with the option being available to those who would like it.

Upvote 0
since KF has progressing difficulty by wave and L4D doesn't, this can be exploited. this feature would cause noobs to just vote the difficulty to easy once it got to wave 7 or so. and for sure on the patty.

It could be made that if you vote to change the difficulty it goes in effect after the current round is over or it immediately restarts the game.

Upvote 0
Just force the change when everyone is dead instead of immediately or have them as mutator options, so you can choose immediate change, end of round change or when everybody dies change.

That just leaves the server open to server hijack by the majority.

Let's be honest if you're a server admin you can force a difficulty change yourself and if you don't want this being abused set the win percentage to 100% so everyone must agree for it to change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0