• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vista Boycott?

Well you are not me are you?
Exactly.
Hence YMMV...

And I do indeed need fax capability because it is the only way besides mailing that I can send my signed FFL Lic copy to distributors to purchase Firearms via mail etc. And so do many other Americans.
And the reason this does not work via email is which?

Before you answer, yes, I know it, it's the law.
It's pretty stupid, however, when politicians can't seem to keep up with the technlogical progression.

Otherwise, an email could very perfectly replace a fax and it saves you toner and paper, too!

I find it odd that you seem happy about the fact that MS is nickel and diming us to death for such features like fax capability that used to be included without an extra charge in the last three versions of Windows.
What?
I am happy about it?
Don't know what you've been trying to read into my posts, but happiness was nothing I intended to be in in...

Do you work for MS by any chance?
No, never have and probabaly never will.

You sound as if you are defending MS here.
Do I?
Or are you just a little paranoid when someone is not totally against them 100% all the time...

Do you even own Vista?
RC2, does that count?

Still puzzling what those two questions have to do with the matter, though...

Are you also happy about the fact that Vista killed OpenGL support in games and got rid of EAX DirX sound acceleration for current sound cards?
Are you just trying to troll me here or what?
OGL I definately am not happy about, EAX I couldn't care less TBH...

Upvote 0
Exactly.
Hence YMMV...

And the reason this does not work via email is which?

Before you answer, yes, I know it, it's the law.
It's pretty stupid, however, when politicians can't seem to keep up with the technlogical progression.

Otherwise, an email could very perfectly replace a fax and it saves you toner and paper, too!

What?
I am happy about it?
Don't know what you've been trying to read into my posts, but happiness was nothing I intended to be in in...

No, never have and probabaly never will.

Do I?
Or are you just a little paranoid when someone is not totally against them 100% all the time...

RC2, does that count?

Still puzzling what those two questions have to do with the matter, though...

Are you just trying to troll me here or what?
OGL I definately am not happy about, EAX I couldn't care less TBH...

It's kind of hard to troll when YOU are the one that Jumped on my posting now isn't it?

My response to you is easy to explain.

I posted my opinion about Vista and my problems with it and you jumped on it and crapped all over it as if I hurt your feelings or something.

You are the A-typical person that thinks just because they aren't having problems with something that the rest of the world doesn't matter.

Hint for you...we do matter. So get over it!

Upvote 0
More questions from a future Linux user:

1.) Let's say I have two hard disks; one that is 80 Gb and one that is 300Gb. Which OS would you recommend me installing on which HD? I'll use Linux for internet, music, etc, and Windows for games.

2.) What has to be installed first, Linux or Windows?

3.) How long does it take to switch from Linux to Windows, and vice versa (for example if I'm in Linux and want to play a game and switch to Windows, how long do I have to wait)?

Upvote 0
Thats software for businesses to keep track of their customers, of their accounts, of their inventar, of their plans .... and there SAP is one of the leaders, while many of the Open Source solutions have still a far way to go at least to what I read.

Open Source and Closed Source can coexist.

Btw. what keeps Open Source "running"?

Contributions by people on their free time? What if they don't have any --> no progress for a lot of time

Contributions by companies. --> how do they make their living?
Well as it seems many are not sure how as the changing of their policies and the incoming figures show, now many of them seem to focus on support. Others like Sun use it for their own Software that is why they help developing the OpenSource part (OpenOffice, most main developers are paid by Sun).

On many closed source projects people do that for their living, not as hobby. You can be sure that people work 8 hours a day to get that working to implement new features. You see the difference?

On one part you see - especially small, but still interesting - projects being on hold because the main contributor has no time left while on the other hand that won't happen.
Additionally everybody - even me - could simply copy an OpenSource project change the names and sell it. The GPL allows me to.
Imagine you put hours of work into a project and once you see a guy selling your programm with a different name on ebay and that thousand times while you need money donations to keep the server running.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I posted my opinion about Vista and my problems with it and you jumped on it and crapped all over it as if I hurt your feelings or something.
Oh, really?
Who was it that started with this "being happy about it" stuff?

I was just stating the obvious:
Why would you even bother to upgrade to Vista when a) XP already offers what you need (fax) and b) Vista does not or rather only in the Ultimate version offer the same functionality.
Rules of thumb: If it ain't broken, don't fix it AND never change a running system.
From what I know of your situation, I wouldn't even waste a thought about upgrading.
Stay with what you have and be satisfied with that.

You are the A-typical person that thinks just because they aren't having problems with something that the rest of the world doesn't matter.
And you seem to be that kind of person who likes to make up problems where they aren't.
Are you being forced to upgrade?
No, so why bother.
If you don't migrate to V, this fax story will not become one of your problems.
But apparently you like to create those for you...

Hint for you...we do matter. So get over it!
Got a problem with not mattering enough, by chance?
You get over that thing yourself!

If you really for whatever reason need Vista and also need fax capability, then in God's name, go for Ultimate. A System Builder version isn't that expensive after all.
Don't like to shell out money to MS?
Buy a third-party fax tool, or, even better, stay with what you have and don't waste a single penny on something you already got...

Upvote 0

1.) Let's say I have two hard disks; one that is 80 Gb and one that is 300Gb. Which OS would you recommend me installing on which HD? I'll use Linux for internet, music, etc, and Windows for games.

3.) How long does it take to switch from Linux to Windows, and vice versa (for example if I'm in Linux and want to play a game and switch to Windows, how long do I have to wait)?

ad. 1. If you plan to use Windows soley (!!!) for games then I'd install Linux on the 300 GB if 80GB is enough for your games.

ad. 2. I'd install Windows first. Many distros recognise that Windows is installed and then you can boot easily the OS of your choice.

ad. 3. around 2 minutes I'd say.

Upvote 0

1 , its entirely up to you , i would choose the larger tho because i only use linux

2 , windows being digital dihorea insists on being installed to the 1st drive , ofcourse there is a workaround to this . the best way ive found is to install windows to the 1st drive then install linux to the second drive then overwrite the windows bootloader on the 1st disk with grub , you can also install windows to the 1st disk then switch it (physicaly) to the second disk , then install linux to the 1st disk , this requires a little grub magic mind but isnt too difficult

3 , games sigh... if your lucky the game you want to play will be native and play better than on any other platform , if not there are various ways to play in linux via wine , cedega an possibly vmware , other than that its a reboot which will ofcourse kill your uptime

hope that helps pm me if you need more info or help

Upvote 0
Thats software for businesses to keep track of their customers, of their accounts, of their inventar, of their plans .... and there SAP is one of the leaders, while many of the Open Source solutions have still a far way to go at least to what I read.

Open Source and Closed Source can coexist.

Btw. what keeps Open Source "running"?

Contributions by people on their free time? What if they don't have any --> no progress for a lot of time

Contributions by companies. --> how do they make their living?
Well as it seems many are not sure how as the changing of their policies and the incoming figures show, now many of them seem to focus on support. Others like Sun use it for their own Software that is why they help developing the OpenSource part (OpenOffice, most main developers are paid by Sun).

On many closed source projects people do that for their living, not as hobby. You can be sure that people work 8 hours a day to get that working to implement new features. You see the difference?

On one part you see - especially small, but still interesting - projects being on hold because the main contributor has no time left while on the other hand that won't happen.
Additionally everybody - even me - could simply copy an OpenSource project change the names and sell it. The GPL allows me to.
Imagine you put hours of work into a project and once you see a guy selling your programm with a different name on ebay and that thousand times while you need money donations to keep the server running.

yes i agree by all known laws open sourced should be worse than closed sourced but that just isnt the case ,

open sourced and closed sourced can co-exist there is nothing wrong with that at all

various companies and people invest time and money into open sourced for different reasons and they can all make money out of it , just not trillions for eg : IBM , Novell , mark shuttleworth , all sorts of universities and people who just like programming

if you were selling a copy of an open sourced project on ebay i dont think you would make alot of money

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

it does allow for this but someone would just leave a comment with a link to the project page and ofcourse it MUST remain open sourced

with regards to the misson critical thing , Red Hat , Novell and IBM all provide this kind of support, as for CAD and various other bits of software there are open sourced equivelants if these arent to your liking you could always bug them to run thier source code through gcc and do a little debuging , sure it wouldnt be too hard

the only thing holding open sourced back at the moment is ingnorance imo

Upvote 0
Oh what you meant was that the developers behind AutoCAD should run their source code through gcc and it would magically work on Linux?

Well we were talking about OpenSource software here not about ClosedSource software being ported to Linux. And most times there is more work than simply running gcc ...

Upvote 0
yes it would work with a little debuging , skype works on *nix , googleearth works on *nix , plenty of games have been ported to *nix . there is nothing that windows can do that linux or mac cant apart from the bluescreen , lord how i miss that :p

EDIT: I would always choose an open source app over a closed sourced one because i would have the source code , i f i had a need for a CAD program i would use one of the open sourced ones and help with developing, after time the end result would prolly be better than autocad

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, really?
Who was it that started with this "being happy about it" stuff?

I was just stating the obvious:
Why would you even bother to upgrade to Vista when a) XP already offers what you need (fax) and b) Vista does not or rather only in the Ultimate version offer the same functionality.
Rules of thumb: If it ain't broken, don't fix it AND never change a running system.
From what I know of your situation, I wouldn't even waste a thought about upgrading.
Stay with what you have and be satisfied with that.

And you seem to be that kind of person who likes to make up problems where they aren't.
Are you being forced to upgrade?
No, so why bother.
If you don't migrate to V, this fax story will not become one of your problems.
But apparently you like to create those for you...

Got a problem with not mattering enough, by chance?
You get over that thing yourself!

If you really for whatever reason need Vista and also need fax capability, then in God's name, go for Ultimate. A System Builder version isn't that expensive after all.
Don't like to shell out money to MS?
Buy a third-party fax tool, or, even better, stay with what you have and don't waste a single penny on something you already got...

That's right, I will not buy Vista and that WAS MY POINT! I guess that part flew over your little head.

You are just one more pretentious peckerhead with an opinion.
And clearly anyone who dares to disagree with you is subjected to your
juvenile idea of insults.

And it has become readily apparent that you are nothing more than a troll. :mad:

It's people like you that come to forums just to cause arguments and stir sh** up because they have nothing better to do with their meaningless lives.

Ill give you some good heartfelt advice:

Turn off you computer.
Take a shower.
Put on clean clothes.
Go outside.
Walk or drive to different places of social interaction.
Make REAL friends.

Upvote 0
Spitfire: What graphics card do you own? I am going through hell trying to get my dual LCD's working with my ATI card on Ubuntu. I have the drivers installed and i have 2d and 3d acceleration but i cant seem to get my dual monitors working in extended desktop mode, even after using the ATI control panel the settings i choose do not stick. It keeps going back to "clone mode". Ive run the app in super user mode too and it makes no difference. I have edited my xorg.conf file many times but i dont really know what i am supposed to change. Both monitors are 20" one is 1600x1200 4:3 and the other is 1680x1050 16:10. The video card is an X1800XT. Any help you can offer is appriciated.

Upvote 0