• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vista Boycott?

Hey Radix.

Being a consultant you must know that the fact that companies don't use linux very much says little to nothing about linux itself. It says way more about the lack of knowledge of the ones making decisions.
If you know what you are doing you can find support for linux products and get good SLA's going securing your critical applications and processes.

I'v seen it happen more then once: decision makers just don't have enough knowledge to make a well funded decisions when it comes to open-source products.

Let's take another look in 5 years, I'm sure things have changed by then.

Monk.

Upvote 0
radix come to my house

hmm , how many linux viruses over the past 12 months?
how many m$ viruses over the past 12 months?

what is the most popular webserver? (im betting these forums run on it)

i know of linux servers that have uptimes of 18 months
i dont know of any windows servers so i cant comment on their stablilty ( nobody i know runs a windows server )

as for technical support on open sourced , you have the source code and ability to do these things yourself , that is the general idea of open sourced

Sorry but that hardly says anything. Only because Apache is a good product does not fill the gaps of the other missing programs. None said here that Linux is crap, most simply said what is missing (for them) and personally I do not care how good Apache might be if I don't need it, but need other stuff.

If a company should solve the bugs themselve, well then they could also create the programs they need themselves, but that would be highly inefficient.
Most companies don't want to fix it themselves, the thing they want is that it works, and for that they pay a lot of money.

Upvote 0
Hey Radix.

Being a consultant you must know that the fact that companies don't use linux very much says little to nothing about linux itself. It says way more about the lack of knowledge of the ones making decisions.
If you know what you are doing you can find support for linux products and get good SLA's going securing your critical applications and processes.

I'v seen it happen more then once: decision makers just don't have enough knowledge to make a well funded decisions when it comes to open-source products.

Monk.
Hi,

I was not talkin only about linux. I was talking about open source concept in the mission critical enviroment. I am not dissmising linux or any other open source application. You can buy support for linux and other open source applications. Companies use linux, but not in the critical places.

I don't like fanboys from each side when they are talking and resuming the world of IT of what they are using home.

What I was trying to say is that open source applications cannot replace ALL applications in proffesional ebviroment. I'm using linux and freebsd a lot . Our logging (syslog a.s.o) servers are runnig linux/freebsd, our smtp server is running frebbsd (btw free/netbsd >>> linux) with an uptime of 740days. But none are mission critical.
For mission critical we have Sun, Ms, IBM, HP, Dell, Oracle to name only some of the companies.

[some quote]
as for technical support on open sourced , you have the source code and ability to do these things yourself , that is the general idea of open sourced
[/ ...]
sorry, but you have no ideea what are you talkin about. Have you ever seen how such source code looks like? Let me explain. I'm using maybe 20 to 30 enterprise aplpication in my enviroment. If one of this application is failing because of a bug or whatever I have not enought time to have a look in the code (wich is not small) and repair the bug. This can take days or maybe weeks. What do you think will say the CEO when with each MINUTE of the downtime he's loosing thounsends of $$$ ??? Maybe there are hundreds or tousands of employee wich cannot work if the sys is going down.

If the application is failing I need support from someone wich is knowing the souce code well and can find and correct the error fast!. Wich is the developer or developer company. Not me.

And about viruses, In the last 6 years I don't remeber to had *any* issues with viruses in *any* company where i work and privat also.

About apache, what is a web server alone? -> nothing. You need applications for it that you can use it.

Conclusion :p
Open source is good but it cannot replace everything. It is good for home / small business / non critical enviroment use.

P.S. Ask CIA / FBI / NASA or whatever to make their own developed software open source -> lol
P.S.2. know anyone a good OLAP server for linux?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know.
To add an interesting case.
Right now here in Holland our voting computers are subject of a large security debate. Not only are they radiating the choices people make, but they are also made out of closed software.
I wonder why nobody has suggested that the voting software must be open-source. If well written we can all assure ourselves of it's safety and make sure the software does not influence the political choices people make.

A golden opportunity if you ask me.

Monk.

Upvote 0
I know.
To add an interesting case.
Right now here in Holland our voting computers are subject of a large security debate.
Not only yours!

Not only are they radiating the choices people make, but they are also made out of closed software.
I wonder why nobody has suggested that the voting software must be open-source. If well written we can all assure ourselves of it's safety and make sure the software does not influence the political choices people make.
While Security through Obscurity is never a good idea as countless cases of "unbreakable" systems have shown time and time again, even using OSS on these voting machines wouldn't make them much more secure.

The real question is, why pen and paper elections have to be replaced at all.
Personally, I see no need whatsoever in that.
It's not cheaper (the voting machines cost quite some money, they need to be stored and checked after as with any electronics), it's not necessarily faster and it's definately not more secure.
It takes away all the transparency from public elections (over here, the law requires any citizen be able to check up on the election, that's quite easily done with pen&paper votes, however, for the machines you need to understand electronics.

A golden opportunity if you ask me.
For manipulation of elections, maybe... ;)

Upvote 0
Hey Radix.

Monk.

I'd say about five years too , it will be accepted and become the norm eventualy , its totaly natural :)

Upvote 0
Noticed the Vista launch on TV today and in the newspaper advertisements yesterday.

Note that there were four or five different versions advertised priced from $100-$400 but none of the advertisements or anouncements that I read or saw explained to the customer which version had what features in it (or missing features).

This is going to bite M$ in the a$$ IMHO.

For starters, none of the affordable versions have MS fax built in anymore except the $400 ulitmate version. This is something Windows users are and will take for granted because it's been included in all versions since v.3.1 IIRC.
To add insult to injury, there are NO existing fax software for Vista AFAIK. So if you fax, get ready to shell out $400 for the privilege of doing so. Or just stick with the OS you have now.

According to MS, I do not need to fax since I am a typical home user. Doh!?!
Im sticking with XP also.

Upvote 0
Check out the XP vs Vista report at Tomshardware !

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/

Our hopes that Vista might be able to speed up applications are gone. First tests with 64-bit editions result in numbers similar to our 32-bit results, and we believe it's safe to say that users looking for more raw performance will be disappointed with Vista. Vista is the better Windows, because it behaves better, because it looks better and because it feels better. But it cannot perform better than Windows XP. Is this a K.O. for Windows Vista in the enthusiast space?

So, I should buy vista based on aesthetics even though the performance lags? I installed the beta 32bit a while back. Everything ran and worked okay. I just don't see the point in upgrading operating systems right now.

Those with Creative sound cards need to read this if you're considering XP:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=1694

3. The Vista audio architecture disables DirectSound 3D hardware acceleration; resulting in legacy DirectSound based EAX game titles not working as they did in XP.

Issues that may be encountered:

Could range from loss of EAX functionality in EAX enabled games to a complete game incompatibility, depending on how the game title was authored. This would only happen with games that render 3D audio using DirectSound, it should not affect games that render 3D audio using OpenAL.

Upvote 0
vista is the same as all M$ OS. full of holes, buggy and just a beast. dont expect there to be much decent driver support for it untill there are a whole lot of gamers using it. The problem lays really with the strong arm tactics M$ uses to insure that only their shizzle is used. open source is the only way to go. the more people who use linux, the better. obviously, anyone in the software industry who really wants to shlepp thier wares is watching the reports and will be forced to take note if they are loosing part of thier market share. M$ capitalizes partly upon the theory of conspicuous consumption...AKA keeping up with the jones. everyone wants to be the first on the block to have X. M$ markets thier shizzle so heavily that people feel, and in some instances are forced into buying an inferior product. i hope the dev team opens up the linux door. we all need to buck the trend.

Upvote 0
Ok, now that I have trawled through 10 pages of posts about boycotting Vista and the joys of open source software, I'm still unsure of one thing...

How well does RO:Ost run with any of the open source distro's (ubanto etc) with wine or caldaga?

Is it a reliable or indeed a feasible solution? Because if it isn't then what choice do we have other then to stick with XP which will eventually mean an upgrade to Vista.

Now my objective is singularly based, if it doesn't work with RO then no go. I really want to move away from M$ but as others have stated I haven't the time nor the inclination to devote endless hours learning a new OS.

But if it can work seamlessly I will endeavour to invest that time. Can someone comment on how successful their implementations have been?

Upvote 0
Ok guys even is I am a avid linux fan, Linux is not what's going to replace Windows if Microsoft would lose a big part of their market share.

This discussion Win vs Linux has been going on for years and the conclusions that can be drawn from it is that IF windows is replaced by anything it's by Mac OS.
Mac OS is better then windows it is simpler then Linux (even if Ubuntu is damn easy and a good example of "it just works").
You can't even say a Mac is more expensive then a PC anymore. True you can get a PC cheaper then a Mac but then the PCs preformance will be worse then the Macs. If you instead compare a Mac and a PC in the same price range they are equal when speaking of "bang for the buck".

I have now read a ton of reviews of Vista (during my working brakes) and the conclusion most of them come to is: "we have seen this before but then it was named Tiger and was more well executed and ran better". And I'm not saying this is only stated in one or two reviews but in alot of them. Some of the reviewers also admit to have been avid Mac haters/Windows lovers before Vista.

In my personal opinion, as alot of you know I like mac a lot (even if I have a PC) and when I'm going to buy a new system it will most probably be a new Mac.

As for now with my current system I'm trying to migrate as much as possible to Linux but I still my dual boot for the games I play.

Upvote 0
BTW, why are you going to switch from Linux to Mac, Sved?

Because it works no more hardware incompability (general PC issue present in both Win and Linux) and because there simply is no reason to buy a PC when a Mac costs the same as a PC of equivalent preformance.

No matter how easy to install and use the later distrobutions of Linux (like Ubuntu) are they are not easier then Mac OS to keep it simple "it just works".

And except for games I have the possibility to use alot of programs that (sadly) are not present for Linux without emulation (don't start a discussion that wine/cadega are layers and not emulators) this includes the e-legitimation for my internet bank (it's mainly a problem with my bank that refuse to support Linux) that is what reality looks like no matter if you like it or not.

EDIT:// Oh and also with Mac you notice that there is a difference between a OS developed for "free" and a OS with a big budget behind it. Just in the same way that you notice a difference between a OS with a "too big" budget and a OS that is "free" when comparing Win and Linux

Upvote 0
Well, as far as I know Linux still has a lot more software to offer than Mac. What programs exactly are you talking about? The Adobe programs? Yeah, **** that they're not on Linux, true. Maybe one day. If you need Windows for you online banking stuff, you can just switch to the Windows boot can't you?

I dunno, I have worked with Macs but I have never really liked that to that much of an extent that I want one at home. I just can't work speedy enough with it. But that's personal preference / experience, I guess.

Upvote 0
Note that there were four or five different versions advertised priced from $100-$400 but none of the advertisements or anouncements that I read or saw explained to the customer which version had what features in it (or missing features).

This is going to bite M$ in the a$$ IMHO.
No, it doesn't, because they were smart enough to include this Anytime Upgrade.
Just click the link, follow the website, eneter your CC#, et voli

Upvote 0