• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vista Boycott?

I don't care if Linux would indeed be better than Windows (Havent tested Vista yet) but as long as Linux OS's dont run the same games as Windows (Steam, Il2, Combat Missions etc...) then I wont even try and test out Linux, gaming is the number 1 thing and hassling with some weird system isnt a top-priority.

And I will surely buy Vista for my new comp I get this year (hopefully before summer) just to get to use it and to get acces to the soon-be-released Dx10 games like Alan Wake and Crysis etc...

Upvote 0
all I have to say on the matter is that I won't upgrade to Vista for at least 2 years, and when I do, I will either have a mac to do my every-day non-gaming stuff, or I will have a dual-boot setup with Ubuntu linux...

in 2 years time mac and linux will be the choice of the gamer.... you watch....

EDIT: meh it already is for this gamer ;)

Upvote 0
Arte = some weird French culture oriented TV station
Actually, it's a German-French-Swiss(I think) co-production/station.
It's not really weird, maybe if you don't speak French (all shows are either in German, German-dubbed or subbed, however) or care about France/French culture, but that certainly is not everything they focus on.

While they sometimes seem to have a bit "strange" theme evenings, the production quality is well above anything you will find on the private stations.
They do put a bit too much emphasis on culture rather than science for my liking, but that is still better than this "infotainment" crap that is all over the TV stations currently.

Upvote 0
I have not decided for any OS yet. My decisions are based only upon what I use. So far . I'll wait to see if things change in the future but for now Windows Vista definitely doesn't seem to worth the hassle and cost of upgrade.

chart4.gif

"There are some programs that showed deeply disappointing performance. Unreal Tournament 2004 and the professional graphics benchmarking suite SPECviewperf 9.03 suffered heavily from the lack of support for the OpenGL graphics library under Windows Vista. This is something we expected, and we clearly advise against replacing Windows XP with Windows Vista if you need to run professional graphics applications. Both ATI and Nvidia will offer OpenGL support in upcoming driver releases, but it remains to be seen if and how other graphics vendors or Microsoft may offer it."
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/page11.html

Upvote 0
Ok I am a little confused here, I have created a partiton to put Windows Vista on but when running the install it doesn't want to do anything other than get rid of XP. I want to run both in a dual boot setup but it seems that it is not going to allow this.

W... T... F...?!
Do you boot from the DVD or run setup from within you XP installation?
You'd have to boot, then select "advanced setup methods" or similar (not the default setup).
That should do the trick.

Upvote 0
Ok I am a little confused here, I have created a partiton to put Windows Vista on but when running the install it doesn't want to do anything other than get rid of XP. I want to run both in a dual boot setup but it seems that it is not going to allow this.

W... T... F...?!

Yep, that's one of the reason I am staying clear of Vista.

Are you using the upgrade version?

Not very many people know it but when you activate VISTA based on an upgrade it invalidates your XP key.

What this means is that you have to get permission from MS to install your original XP and then Vista every time you do a fresh install for whatever reason.

Each time M$ will have to issue you a new registration code as each time it is killed once you put Vista on top of it.

Upvote 0
Install Vista "upgrade" as a "full version"
Got this from another forum:

"I remember installing XP Home upgrade as a full version for a friend by just throwing in an old Win98 disk during installation. Well here is a article that shows how to do the same thing with Vista without any other disks at all. Hope this might save somebody a few bucks.

Windows Vista, in my opinion, is a big improvement over Windows XP in many ways. But the new operating system is distinctly overpriced.

The list price of the "full" (not "upgrade") version of the most expensive edition, Vista Ultimate, is $399.95 USD, with a street price around $380. That gold-plated retail figure is only possible because Microsoft long ago achieved monopoly pricing power in the PC operating system market.

Most computer users would prefer to keep using an older version of Windows, such as XP, rather than paying the inflated prices for the "full" version of Vista. To encourage switching to a new OS, Microsoft has historically offered a lower, "upgrade" price to people who can prove that they've previously purchased an older copy of Windows.

The difference between Vista's full and upgrade prices can be substantial. Based on the asking prices shown at Shopping.com on Jan. 31

Upvote 0