• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Various suggestions from {Core}Metalhead

Personally I use this definition (or wikipedia's for the term morale)

If you're freezing to death, if you haven't got enough food, if you're physically destroyed from fatigue or lack of sleep, and if your friend blew up in your face. Its all going to affect your personal morale and could theoretically be used for such a system.

But feel free to state your definition of morale.

It affects your physical state. I think it's a stretch to say it could be encompassed by a system intended to reflect "spirits."

Upvote 0
Your physical state does have an effect your mental state of morale though. Those 2 don't go without each other. But nobody knows how morale will affect the game, and nobody knows what variables are taken into account in the morale system, as morale is just a term, twi can still fill in its own definition.

As a game can't insert a certain morale into a player it will probably come out in a physical form, like in the form of say stamina, sway, breathing, etc. But we'll have to see and wait till tripwire announces some details, as till that time its pure guesswork. It could just be a bonus while capping a cap zone as well.

I wonder how something like that would work out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the morale system won't go much beyond that. It will probably only influence minor aspects that are barely noticable. The only ones off the top of my head I can imagine being influenced are:
1)Stamina
2)Suppression levels
3)Weapon accuracy (sway, brething, etc.)
4)A slight increase to damage resistance (very minor, if any)
5)The speed of actions like reloading, weapon changing, going to ironsights, etc.

Upvote 0
I would like to summarize this entire post.

Mr. Metalhead does not like bolt action rifles. He thinks they're too powerful.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, now that that's out of the way....

Pixel sniping is not easy, it's a nightmare. The bolt rifle is more accurate as a result of being a single shot mechanism. You don't have to worry about recoil and you don't have to worry about machining tolerances or mechanisms jostling the object in the middle of firing.

It's job is to displace machine gunners. If you disagree that this is the role of snipers, you should probably read a book on infantry tactics.

The suppression mechanic in DH is overstated and carries serious liabilities, in addition to being unrealistic. Merely firing near someone, including allies, causes them to flinch uncontrollably and cannot stop. Because this is of course exactly what happens when bullets pass nearby.

Hipshooting is not difficult because it is not difficult in real life. You merely line the barrel up with your target and the bullet shoots out of the barrel and hits your enemy. There is no way to make this "more difficult" without making it less realistic, in part requiring changes to the whole ballistics modeling system or perhaps adding an arbitrary flinching mechanism causing you to flinch uncontrollably whenever a submachine gunner is nearby (because they don't have enough advantages in CQC).

If you can't deal with a hipshooter I suggest you learn how to zigzag like they were taught to do in real life, close the distance, and stand 5 feet away where it doesn't matter how much recoil you have or how much of an inept noob you are, you cannot miss.

The popup bug is a bug. Voila, problem solved. What do you know, bugs were not intentional, that's why they call them bugs.

As far as recoil for submachine guns.....it should equate with reality. No more, no less. Anything else is just begging for handouts for the sake of some arbitrary, preconceived notion of "balance" that includes assault troopers spontaneously being able to kill everyone in close quarters because that's what they do.

I think that part of the problem is that you're not compensating for the recoil. You can compensate for the recoil with your mouse which simulates the weight of your body and any additional force you apply to relax the recoil. I think you'll find that when properly supported and when compensating for recoil the recoil is more in line with how an SMG really operates. I hesitate to think that submachine guns can be fired from the hip with virtually no recoil at 900 RPM without even trying to compensate for recoil or having a steady grip while zigzagging around after sprinting for 30 seconds straight (normal combat situation in Danzig).

If all else fails you can always corner camp and chew through riflemen.
**** you always manage to come into quality threads with good ideas and spout your nonsense.

Pixel shooting is not hard. It's easy as hell for someone who's played the game for a little while and has a decent resolution and has learned to lead.

Maybe you just suck? Metalhead's a good player and knows what he's talking about.

A rifleman's job is not to "displace machine gunners". WW2 German infantry doctrine dictated riflemen were there to support the machine gunner and protect his flanks. The machine gunner was the main source of firepower and the biggest threat.

Hipshooting IS ridiculous. Yes you should be able to hipshoot easily when some dude is 10 meters away from you but not when he's 50.

And SMGs have way too much recoil right now, it's not realistic.

And you already filled my suppression thread with your nonsense so I'm not even going to bother to argue with you again on that point.

FYI I rarely play MG or SMG myself (though I do love me some STG action sometimes) so don't throw some "Nox wants to nerf rifles!" bull**** at me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what's wrong with what names is saying? nonsense? that's a bit harsh, is it not? at least he tends to make mostly valid arguements and backs them with support instead of saying "pixel hunting is easy" or "maybe you just suck?"

he's doing just what zets is doing, exploring a side of an arguement and supporting that stance with what looks like decent support. why in the world would names be banned? at least he doesn't resort to using "big boy language" with a bunch of little * marks while he's trying to argue his points. also game skill has nothing to do with knowledge of the subject at hand, mind you ;)

Upvote 0
Isent the point that people get used to various game mechanics ? Like the hipshot exploit for example, where most longterm players KNOW that after a certain action the gun is perfectly centered. I hope that bullcrap wont return in HOS ( and imo was accnowledge by the DEVs as exploit and promised it wont happen in HOS ) since it has nothing to do with "skill" ingame its just a mere perfected use of a exploit...wich ofc needs training too. ;)

Another flaw i want to point out is what i call "lazer mg kill". Its if you shoot a burst hardly aimed at an enemy and then go prone basicly while fireing the last shot almost all time hits a prone enemy for 100%. funny eh...:p

Upvote 0
Isent the point that people get used to various game mechanics ? Like the hipshot exploit for example, where most longterm players KNOW that after a certain action the gun is perfectly centered. I hope that bullcrap wont return in HOS ( and imo was accnowledge by the DEVs as exploit and promised it wont happen in HOS ) since it has nothing to do with "skill" ingame its just a mere perfected use of a exploit...wich ofc needs training too. ;)

Another flaw i want to point out is what i call "lazer mg kill". Its if you shoot a burst hardly aimed at an enemy and then go prone basicly while fireing the last shot almost all time hits a prone enemy for 100%. funny eh...:p

Exploits are specific to a given engine and a given build. They're not supposed to be in the game. They're only there by accident.

There's a list of exploits and bugs for Ost a mile long, which is why during the competitions we have to use Exterminator and have anti-exploit rules.

You don't have to concern yourself with why or how, just assume they're taken care of until they show up in a build of the game, then you can feel free to rage about it until the devs take care of them.

Upvote 0