• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Upgrading the PPSh-41

Hm... I hadn't realized that the MP-40/II and MkB 42 were only "rare", not hero weapons. I doubt TW will leave it so that the Germans and Russians basically have the same quality SMGs due to the superiority of the German LMGs. Or perhaps they will, but will have it so that (at least on their maps) there are two Russian LMGs to 1 German LMG. Still, I don't like that. I guess we can't really know until the devs tell us/the game is released.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
In RO1 I can very frequently shoot a single shot or a two round burst. Two round bursts are rather easy for me.

Have you tested it? You can't go by the sound, because that's just a loop, and what sounds like one shot is more likely 2, you really need to fire it from the hip at a large wall, and then count the hit decals (i thought i could do 2 round bursts just going by the sound, turns out it was 4 when i counted the impact marks).

But it's not really important, the only interesting question is "would it be imbalanced if the PPSh got it's select fire", and i don't see that it is, not only because semi-auto is nothing

Upvote 0
You can't go by the sound, because that's just a loop, and what sounds like one shot is more likely 2, you really need to fire it from the hip at a large wall, and then count the hit decals (i thought i could do 2 round bursts just going by the sound, turns out it was 4 when i counted the impact marks).

Don't blame it on being a loop. I learned when shooting at a range with the FN mag that when it sounds like to rounds you have fired 2 rounds you have actually fired 5. And it has a lower rate of fire than the PPSH.

Upvote 0
Don't blame it on being a loop. I learned when shooting at a range with the FN mag that when it sounds like to rounds you have fired 2 rounds you have actually fired 5. And it has a lower rate of fire than the PPSH.

Eh, trust me, the looping doesen't help. Years ago i tried making a mutator for Ost that would give the PPSh it's select fire, and i had to scrap the idea outright, neither the fire anims or the sound would play in single shot, it woulden't even eject a casing (because that event is tied to the anim, which refused to work as a play once action).
I could fix the sound by using a different non-looped one, but i could never get the fire anim to play or get it to eject a casing.

This is another reason i hope TWI will fix this issue, because i'm not sure we can just mod it, and less so because thease things will be "upgrades" for the gun that you are supposed to earn, so even if we can mod it, the mutator might never be white-listed, TWI could choose to view it as a "cheat-mod" because it gives you "upgrades" you didn't earn, circumventing their upgrade progression.

Upvote 0
Eh, trust me, the looping doesen't help. Years ago i tried making a mutator for Ost that would give the PPSh it's select fire, and i had to scrap the idea outright, neither the fire anims or the sound would play in single shot, it woulden't even eject a casing (because that event is tied to the anim, which refused to work as a play once action).
I could fix the sound by using a different non-looped one, but i could never get the fire anim to play or get it to eject a casing.

Simply meant that it still probably sounds correct since you can often not make out the individual rounds irl. If they would play a single shot repeated for each round the sound will differ more from the real thing.

This is another reason i hope TWI will fix this issue, because i'm not sure we can just mod it, and less so because thease things will be "upgrades" for the gun that you are supposed to earn, so even if we can mod it, the mutator might never be white-listed, TWI could choose to view it as a "cheat-mod" because it gives you "upgrades" you didn't earn, circumventing their upgrade progression.

I don't like how plausible this sounds. I guess this would only affect the ability to play ranked though? But it sure will make it way harder to find populated servers where these mutators are used.

Please link the screens you see them on

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/11/june/stalingrad/1.jpg

Upvote 0

The German with the MKB sure looks like a Hero. He has bullet holes on his uniform and it is unbuttoned, it's also dusty and his helmet is slightly dented and visibly dirty. Plus the rolled up sleeves.

My idea to balance out this is :

PPSh-41 would come standart for all classes that can use it with the 71 drum mag and no select fire available for it. Ever.
Just make the stick mag's be unlocked by the normal progression system.
Not sure if the following is easy to do in the U3 engine but one could simply click on a key, like the 0 in STALKER games in wich you change ammo type from normal to FMJ (if available), selecting drum or stick magazine to be reloaded the next type you click R.

The PPSh-41 should be standart with the drum because it's a "unique" feature of it and it's one of it's many reconizable features.

I can understand TWI wanting to have a better balance for the weapons but at some point you have got to put your foot down because for what I've read, the PPSh-41 didn't have Semi-Auto fire a few years after the Battle of Stalingrad. Besides, firing one shot in Auto mode is preety easy by just tapping Mouse1 slightly. I can do it well and other players could learn it by tranning and after understanding how much of a ammo muncher the PP SMG's can be.

NOW, about German uniforms :

Rolled up sleeves for Hero's. Not sure if this has been confirmed or not and even tough it defeats the point of Winter time maps it's something the Nazi Army was known for.
During Winter maps, I would like to see everybody (especialy Germans) covered with every piece of cloth they can find (like the new so called "Swat" German Hero with the MKB).
And the capes for Hero Snipers would also be cool to be unlocked (as seen in some pictures, namely the one of the Soviet Sniper with the PEM scoped 91/30).

Last edited:
Upvote 0