• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Upgrading my computer

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
My old Geforce 7900 GS 256mb finally died.

What should I get to replace it? The most demanding game I'll play on it will ARMA 2 easily, and possibly OFP: DR (depending on how that turns out), as well as ROHOS of course (which I'm guessing won't be as demanding as ARMA 2).

I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money, but get something that will allow me to run ARMA 2/ROHOS at pretty high settings with a lot of units going around.

Haven't been keeping up with hardware developments recently so really have no idea.

Also, I have 2 gigs of ram right now, would I be wise to add another 2 or is 8 necessary yet?

Finally my processor is a Intel Conroe 6400, 2.13, 2M, Core Duo, should I upgrade this or is it still pretty good?

I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money, but get something that will allow me to run ARMA 2/ROHOS at pretty high settings with a lot of units going around.

a friend of mine has an overclocked core I7 with 2 gtx280 SLI and he stil gets the crappy mouse lag present in all boemia interactive games, not counting the game breaking bugs (but that's not hardware related)

so chances are you will have to spend a lot of money if you wat to play that thing half properly

Upvote 0
Lets not turn this into an ARMA 2 critic thread.

I'm running on XP, a E8400 3.00GHz with a 8800gt & 3go ram PP off, AA high, AS normal, shadows high, the rest at normal, Vsync forced off in the Nvidia control panel, all this on a 22" Samsung SM2232bw.

I get a pretty steady 30+fps which may not sound a lot but it is smooth...

A lot of the so called bugs are due to AI wait/reaction time and this is due to processing power.
I put this to the proof when I built one of my now famous:D SP missions for ArmA (A Doctors Call).
I had just completed the mission when I upgraded my processor. All of the well placed way-points and max/min time out settings had to be reset to work correctly.
The conclusion is that people will get a different game depending on their processing power.
Another conclusion drawn from this time consuming experience is that the ARMA/BIS editor is highly dependent on scripting.
I'm planning to recreate the aforementioned mission but with less way-points and more scripting.

If I wanted to change anything in my present setup it would be the processor and then the vid card with 1 go of Vram, no less.

Now thats all about money,money, money...

End of story.

Upvote 0
a friend of mine has an overclocked core I7 with 2 gtx280 SLI and he stil gets the crappy mouse lag present in all boemia interactive games, not counting the game breaking bugs (but that's not hardware related)

so chances are you will have to spend a lot of money if you wat to play that thing half properly

Turn off Physx support in the driver settings?

Upvote 0
Yea, it's better to win one from a mapping compo :p

HAHA Yeah, that's true... I'm not the best mapper in the world. I did make some awesome maps for Codename Panzers but that's history.

Don't get me wrong i love my computer, it was just slightly excessive. I just didn't need what i got and the money would have been better spent on something important... like bills...

Upvote 0
HAHA Yeah, that's true... I'm not the best mapper in the world. I did make some awesome maps for Codename Panzers but that's history.

Don't get me wrong i love my computer, it was just slightly excessive. I just didn't need what i got and the money would have been better spent on something important... like bills...

What did you buy?

Upvote 0
well your proc will last a while longer, arma 2 likes cpu power however.

the hd48xx series are a great buy atm a hd4890 can be gotten for really cheap and it is the fastest card for arma 2 atm.

also indeed new ati's will come soon. Sometime around september or october most likely.
New intel's are also coming out around that time.

Upvote 0
What did you buy?

Cooler Master HAF 932
MSI Eclipse SLI Gaming Series Mainboard
Cooler Master 1000w PSU
6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
2x crossfired ATI Radeon HD 4870x2
Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.66 GHz
1TB Seagate HDD
MSI Soundblaster (came with mainboard)
Logi G9
Logi G15
Logi x540 5.1
Acer 24" High Def LCD Monitor
2x Asus DVD drives

Total Cost: about $5050

Upvote 0
That is very much over kill but a nice system nonetheless.

2 4870X2's on a 24 inch monitor?

1 would handle a 30" monitor just fine. Not to mention the scaling issues with 4 GPU's.

Sorry i am not trying to shoot down your build. Sometimes its nice to go crazy and splash out on some expensive gear. Should last you a while and you should drop an extra $1000 on a 30 inch monitor.

Be warned though. There is no going back.

Upvote 0
That is very much over kill but a nice system nonetheless.

2 4870X2's on a 24 inch monitor?

1 would handle a 30" monitor just fine. Not to mention the scaling issues with 4 GPU's.

Sorry i am not trying to shoot down your build. Sometimes its nice to go crazy and splash out on some expensive gear. Should last you a while and you should drop an extra $1000 on a 30 inch monitor.

Be warned though. There is no going back.

Nah mate your right about that. I got the monitor fairly cheap and i have plans to upgrade sooner or later, Ive already had it all since early December last year i just couldn't spare anymore money. The smart thing to do would have been to get one video card and the bigger monitor. It's been a learning curve as its the first pc Ive ever built for myself from scratch. Cheers, i apreciate the constructive criticism.

As for my Panzers maps i only ever uploaded 2 of them under then name Supertelecom88 or Lord-Calgar on a site i havnt been to for years.

Upvote 0