• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Update on Grindhouse Map Contest Waves 1 and 2

Just to keep all the Killing Floor fans and Grindhouse Map Contest entrants in the loop, we are just into the final stages of judging Wave 1 of the contest. This means that the results will be announced very soon. So we can give the entrants to Wave 2 more time to take in the feedback and make any changes they would like to their maps, we are extending the deadline by 2 weeks. This means that submissions now need to be in by 2nd October.

I myself find it real hard to find testers to fill a server to test my map though I have learnt a heck of a lot about KF mapping whilst mapping my new map about how to stop certain things happening fullstop! I guess its always a learning curve and their are always improvements that can be made... custom or stock :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Looking at the phase 1 maps submitted, there wasn't a single map that couldn't have used more "time in the oven" to fix bugs and polish. Anyone that thinks they are "done" needs to play their map with lots and lots of people and make sure its fun, technically solid (no bugs), and polished.

:eek::eek::eek:
:confused::confused::confused:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I believe the rules of this competition doesnt restrict twi personnel, am I correct? :cool:

Upvote 0
While a map is never "perfect", many of the phase one contest maps were submitted with things that were completely busted. And this isn't just the "beginner" maps. Some really nice maps were submitted that had problems such as spawns that zombies couldn't get out of, too low of a zed spawning rate so the map was boring, issues with the color correction overlay settings that would either cause the map to appear very dark or sometimes even nearly completely black. Many of these issues could have been found if the mapper had played even a full match by themselves, other could have been found with just one round with 4-6 players. Any mapper should be able to get at least 4 people to play their map (with them) before they submit it.

Upvote 0
oh that was cold man...ice cold

at least we get to sit there and laugh as helpless zeds are getting their asses kicked by people using unfixed glitchs! :p

good thing is, it's KF.....you're not playing other real people so oh well. if it's RO different story since you wouldn't want your opponent exploiting to get an advantage over you ;)

oh back on topic, will we possibly see a custom map pack with the 5 best maps from the contest? could add acheivements for beating those new 5 maps on normal/hard/suicidal, plus any new content and money money money from a sale! :D

Upvote 0
While a map is never "perfect", many of the phase one contest maps were submitted with things that were completely busted. And this isn't just the "beginner" maps. Some really nice maps were submitted that had problems such as spawns that zombies couldn't get out of, too low of a zed spawning rate so the map was boring, issues with the color correction overlay settings that would either cause the map to appear very dark or sometimes even nearly completely black. Many of these issues could have been found if the mapper had played even a full match by themselves, other could have been found with just one round with 4-6 players. Any mapper should be able to get at least 4 people to play their map (with them) before they submit it.

I can't help but think you were talking about my map a few times there :)

Upvote 0
kinda like the stock maps too? :p

sorry was too easy :eek:

from the stock maps there were ONLY two things that brought a tear to my eye:

1. the westlondon gate glitch which existed since the mod but still wasnt fixed.

2. the books in bioticslab were never reskinned, they are still there to this day, without a skin on them (so they are the bubbly UE skin) TWI, please reskin the books.

Last edited:
Upvote 0