• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ubisoft's new DRM

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
I'm quite surprised no one here has posted this yet.

If you like intrusive DRM, make sure you buy Ubisoft titles.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62098[url]http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62098[/URL]

Developer and publisher Ubisoft's new PC DRM solution will feature no CD checks or installation limits and pack support for 'cloud' online saved game storage but will require players be online to authenticate before playing, GameSpy reveals.

Players will be required to login to their Ubi.com account to authenticate each and every time they wish to play--and there will be no support at all for offline play

"We think most people are going to be fine with it. Most people are always connected to an Internet connection," said Ubisoft director of customer support Brent Wilkinson.

The DRM platform will debut with the closed beta test of Blue Byte city-building strategy The Settlers 7. "Most upcoming Ubisoft PC games" will make use of the platform, though GameSpy says not all will support cloud saves.

What are the key elements of this platform for PC gamers?
Although a permanent online connection is required, this means that a CD/DVD is not required to play the game after installation. The protected game can be installed as many times and on as many computers as you like. Saved games are also synchronized online so the user can continue playing from any location with the game installed.

How many players can the server system support?
There is no limit to how many players can play at the same time. For each title, we carefully study the demand and allocate servers accordingly. We will also of course allocate back-up servers in order to be able to respond to fluctuations in demand. Ubisoft provides 24/7 monitoring of its servers.

How many computers can I install the game on?
There is no limit to the number of computers on which you can install the game. However you can only play with your individual Ubisoft account on one computer at a time.

Can I play my game from another computer?
Yes. As long as the game is installed on the PC, you can play from any computer and your Ubisoft account will recognise your last saved position as well as automatically save any updates.

I am in a strict environment with lots of firewall rules etc. Can I still play the game?
If you can access the Internet from the computer, you can play the game.

What if Ubisoft decides not run these online services in the future? Will my game stop working?
If any service is stopped, we will create a patch for the game so that the core game play will not be affected.

What will happen if I lose my Internet connection when I play the game?
If you lose your Internet connection the game will pause while it tries to reconnect. If the Internet Connection is unable to resume you can continue the game from where you left off or from the last saved game.

Will I need to be online the whole time when I play the game? Including for single player?
Yes. You will need to have an active Internet connection to play the game, for all game modes.

Will this platform use unique keys?
Yes. Unique keys are verified throughout this system.

Will this affect the performance of my PC?
No. The services that we offer run only when you start the game and there are no background services.

Do you have to be a member of Uplay to use this service platform?
This system requires you to have a Ubi.com account. A Uplay and a Ubi.com account are the same. You don't need to use Uplay to use this service platform, but if you wish to do so, it's very simple.

Do you plan to implement this system on home consoles?
This system is for PCs only.

Will this system be available for every Ubisoft game?
Most upcoming Ubisoft PC games will make use of this system.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You've got to be ****ting me. Maybe in 20 years or so having a constant internet connection won't be an issue. But currently, that's not even realistically feasible even at Bill Gates' house.

I haven't had a stable or reliable internet connection for months, offline games is all I have. This is the worst DRM so far, bar none, even worse than that one that could destroy your CD drive a few years back. I never advocate game cracking, but if Ubisoft is dumb enough to go through with this, anyone like me would be forced to circumvent this DRM in order to play a game they payed for.

Upvote 0
even worse than that one that could destroy your CD drive a few years back.

My dvd drive broke right after I installed Crysis over a year ago, maybe coincidence, but I'm really postive that it had something to do with it.

This is nonsense, but I think they will learn the hard way, like the music business has. If installing a legal copy of a game is more time consuming and harder than just downloading an illegal one, plus they get better experience, then theres something wrong with the business method companies are practicing.

Maybe a better way to fight against piracy would be to offer something better with legal copies. Fast auto patching, no need for dvds in-drive, lower prices for digital purchases and good speed to download from...

Upvote 0
Players will be required to login to their Ubi.com account to authenticate each and every time they wish to play--and there will be no support at all for offline play

In how far is the login thing different from steam? Considering RO, i probably couldnt care less about "offline" play, LAN games dont work there as well. Yet, most here praise Steam to be the greatest thing in history :D

Upvote 0
In how far is the login thing different from steam? Considering RO, i probably couldnt care less about "offline" play, LAN games dont work there as well. Yet, most here praise Steam to be the greatest thing in history :D

Although I wish that it didn't have to run for a singleplayer game, at least Steam has a lot of functionality and can be very useful in organizing communities or playing with friends. The digital store also has pretty good deals quite often, so the positives outweigh the negatives. However, it doesn't seem like this Ubi thing will have any functionality other than to babysit you.

Upvote 0
Although I wish that it didn't have to run for a singleplayer game, at least Steam has a lot of functionality and can be very useful in organizing communities or playing with friends. The digital store also has pretty good deals quite often, so the positives outweigh the negatives. However, it doesn't seem like this Ubi thing will have any functionality other than to babysit you.

Yes it's nice they added a lot of stuff to what is essentially a DRM tool :D

Upvote 0