• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ubisoft's new DRM

The fact that the PC gaming community will likely be gone is definitely a plus for independent PC game developers? How come?
They will be making games so independent that nobody will be playing them?

Problem? :]

Hehe no, what I meant was that with the reputation of mainstream PC game publishers being so horrible (2K, Ubisoft, Activision, etc.) in the future, Indie games likely will be the dominating market for the PC.

Which ultimately will make a sub-culture of gaming by developers who actually -care- about their games like they used to be in the 90's.

Games like... Quake II, Diablo, Warcraft, Myth, Myst, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Marathon (Bungie) to name a very few.

Not sure about you guys, but after being screwed so many times by buying a PC game by a mainstream publisher, I actually think thrice before wasting my time and money on a *console port* packed with DRM bullcrap.

Look at that whole Modern Warfare 2 fiasco Activision pulled off. Now games for the PC are going for $59.99, they suck in terms of features and content, and there isn't any real support.

Tripwire and other Indie game companies know what it's about imho. That's where I'll be putting my money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
According to an article on PC Gamer, it seems that the much maligned DRM system Ubisoft implemented for the PC versions of Assassin’s Creed II and Splinter Cell: Conviction, among other games, might be seeing some improvement.
Until now, the notoriously hated system required that PC players maintain a constant internet connection when playing the games that utilized the DRM system, even when playing single-player. Consequently, gamers – who payed full price for their games – would find their games unplayable if their internet dropped out or if they wanted to play on their laptop somewhere that they didn’t have access to the web.
Well, apparently the DRM has changed a bit and playing these games no longer requires an “always-on” internet connection. It seems that the game only requires a connection at launch, to verify the install, and then can be played offline. It certainly is a step in the right direction, but is it enough?

Last edited:
Upvote 0