• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire's $20,000 Killing Floor Grindhouse Mapping Contest

Don't get me wronge I don't think I have a great shot at winning, but like I said I'm going to give it my all. And I agree with the fact that the best of the best should win. I like the idea of the honerable mentions. I can just see alot of guys like my self putting a ton of time into this, but being pushed aside because we won't have the level of detail or heavy mods that some of the professionals may have, even if the idea and concept are good.

Upvote 0
I think a standard map that is designed really well, with no special functionality - has a good chance at beating a special map (with different game modes etc).

If you look at the categories for judging then you can excel at most of them without a 'special' map:

Judging criteria will include (but not be limited to):

• Gameplay and Fun
  • Performance
  • Graphics
  • AI Pathing
  • Complexity
  • Technical stability
  • Polish
  • Creativity
  • And proper use of KF features, including trader locations, specimen and item spawns

Keep in mind someone making a 'special' map needs to spend time coding etc, so will probably have less time to optimize and polish the map than someone making a standard map.

Having said that, the competition could have been organised a bit better to begin with and maybe even split up into two categories "Standard Maps" and "Custom Gameplay Maps". It's going to be hard enough for the judges to pick between some maps, let alone two different types of maps.

Upvote 0
All said I'm really glad the contest came out. It finally gave me a reason to sit down and try doing something I always wanted to do. I've spent the last couple nights working in 1 room of my map, playing with lighting and other effects to see the results. I'm getting the hang of the editor now and if I can pull of the design that's in my head, it should be one good map. Only time will tell!!

Upvote 0
Yeah, the cash prize is incredibly awesome, but if you're only mapping to win a cash prize, you're probably doing it for the wrong reasons. Pro or amateur, you have to get out there and do it just for the love of it. It sounds cheesy but it's true. Doing it is it's own reward.
Yeah. I haven't made any maps (I tried out Hammer once and it took me half an hour to make a box) but I imagine one would get an immense sense of achievement if they saw people playing and enjoying their map.

Upvote 0
The only problem I have with this contest is that I am currently making a story map and I have to play it from the Killing Floor Editor for the game to recognize that it's a story map. The "Wave Incoming" message gets in the way and matinees aren't supported.

So I'm wondering if I have to rely on a story patch being released while people like me are working on maps like mine for this contest, since the rules mentioned that there could be a custom gametype.

k thx ;)

Edit: Another thing is, if we have a different version of the map entry (whether slightly dfferent or more) we want to release to the public as our true map that we wanted to make but couldnt (i.e. in enough time), then is that alright or do we have to wait until after the contest is complete--provided that we submitted the entry prior to uploading the different version?

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yo guys im new to everything to do with mapping and got a great idea for a map. and im thinking of entering the second wave as im needing a lot of time to learn UE and other tools, i have a good texture artist, and although green my mate and i are very skilled in certain feilds, he is a wizard at photo shop and im talented in most 3d modeling programs. so my question:
1. what do you think are our chances of winning anything at all XD
2. if i created the majority of the map as one large static mesh cluster ****, would it A) have an impact on frames/performence? B) would it be looked down upon my judges?
...as in my eyes it appears far simpler to make a complex static mesh for the whole level rather than ****ing around with UE and its cubes >.>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. I think you have a great potential, since most of the people here (me inside) have ideas but aren't good in texturing and modeling.
But don't forget the fun factor of your map, it's harder than it seems.

2. I'm a beginner in unrealEd but what I've read so far says that static meshes are more performant than BSP (the cubes in unrealEd you were talking about), but I think you will need a little of them still to make the foundations of your map. There is no restrictions in the rules they gave.

good luck

Upvote 0
Hi, i just bumped in to this on steam... they sad that you could win prices if you made a Killing floor map. iam new to this but i wanted to try ant make a map... so i wonderd... what program do i use to make a map? and also can someone tell me a good begginer site so i can learn to make a map?

Thanks!:)

Upvote 0
Hi, i just bumped in to this on steam... they sad that you could win prices if you made a Killing floor map. iam new to this but i wanted to try ant make a map... so i wonderd... what program do i use to make a map? and also can someone tell me a good begginer site so i can learn to make a map?

Thanks!:)

We have a forum for everything.

Upvote 0
thanks stenocara ;P yh my idea for this map is unparalelled in its awesomeness, and hopefully will make every one **** themselves whilst playing on it. although there are 2 big problems standing in my path:
1) i have been makeing models in sketchup to use as static meshes, i have exported them into unreal editor and can place them in maps ect, but i cannot apply the textures the way i want, as i have made textures for each face of the model, so before i can proceed i need to be able to add textures to each face on the model...something i cant do in UE at present.
2)when i DO get my models and textures into UE it is unable to render any of them as they are in an external package, or have altered an existing package :S

Upvote 0
thanks stenocara ;P yh my idea for this map is unparalelled in its awesomeness, and hopefully will make every one **** themselves whilst playing on it. although there are 2 big problems standing in my path:
1) i have been makeing models in sketchup to use as static meshes, i have exported them into unreal editor and can place them in maps ect, but i cannot apply the textures the way i want, as i have made textures for each face of the model, so before i can proceed i need to be able to add textures to each face on the model...something i cant do in UE at present.
2)when i DO get my models and textures into UE it is unable to render any of them as they are in an external package, or have altered an existing package :S

You'd be better off asking about these in the Level Design forum rather than here.
Not to go too far off topic, here's a short answer:
- you should be able to assign the textures in the 3D app, if sketchup doesn't allow you to do that, then use something else like 3DSMax or Maya.
- when you import your models and textures, make sure you type "MyLevel" in the Package field. That way, they'll be saved within your level, and not an original game package.
There's been topics on both subjects: use the Search tool within the Level Design forum to find them.

Upvote 0
Ruling on textures & sounds: Are they valid/within the rules if textures come from a free-use content site like CGtextures.com? Are free-use sounds from the net allowed as well? If source credit is required, like with some sounds, is there an appropriate way to include that in the package other than in a static readme document?

Or to end all questions.... are only RO or KF textures and sound valid and nothing else? Understanding that no content from other "games" is allowed.

Upvote 0