• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Touting RO2 on Reddit and elsewhere

Amerikaner

Nov 23, 2005
After seeing the increasingly worrisome tidbits of BF3 DLC news, I got fed up with the big name industry's practice of defiling their games and wrote up this reddit post: We all know questionable business practices are defiling our beloved industry so let's try a new tactic: TOUT THE INDEPENDENT STUDIOS!

It's a call to arms for gaming fans to support the indie guys. With the upcoming release of RO2, I think the sentiment is very relevant to this community. So go out there and spread the word of RO2 (and the other indie games). Hopefully, TWI will support us soon in this endeavor by revving up the marketing campaign. I know it's kind of tough when all we have is one nice cinematic trailer, some screens, and a bunch of cam footage that's all a bit old now but do all you can. Just from that little bit of media and word of mouth there seems to be a ton of support for this game. Keep it going! :D

Last edited:
Indies are indeed the future of PC gaming and gaming in general. Publishers are polluting it with too much BS and crap.

Exactly. I take solace in the fact that for every shady business practice there seems to be an indie team rising up to rebuke it and inspire themselves to be more awesome.

Upvote 0
I guess I'm rather tired of rehashed, rinse and repeat formula that recent games have received.

There's nothing wrong with "rinse and repeat" if the game is fun, realistic, has a significant size community, developers that listen to feedback and let us know they hear us and, most importantly, all those variables work well together.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Amerikaner. We (well, at least the programming dudes) do "research" on reddit every day. And that reminds me that I should finally create an account over there to upboat your post.

Edit: Subscribed to your sub reddit smokey!

Maybe we should make an AMA at some point?

Upvote 0
Nice work OP, I've been advertising RO2 as well but on Facepunch, there are tons of guys over there who buy indie games and games that are different then the current mainstream so I'm seeing how they like RO2.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1059571-Red-Orchestra-2-Heroes-Of-Stalingrad

Even though the thread was not made by me it was barely receiving attention and getting like 1-2 posts a month, I then started posting Alans weekly news, interviews and such and got the thread from only 3000 views to now right about to hit 20000 with usually tons of people talking but right now nothing as there hasn't really been much to talk about.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten people to buy the original RO as there were people who asked if they should get it, also I hope that from those increased 17000 views I've at least at the minimum gotten a couple of people to buy RO2.

So great your OP on advertising the game, come on guys, help spread the word.

Reactions: doomis
Upvote 0
Thanks, Amerikaner. We (well, at least the programming dudes) do "research" on reddit every day. And that reminds me that I should finally create an account over there to upboat your post.

Edit: Subscribed to your sub reddit smokey!

Maybe we should make an AMA at some point?

Yes everyone does "research" on reddit when at work/home/public/pooping.
I wonder how many RO loyals are on reddit?

Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with "rinse and repeat" if the game is fun, realistic, has a significant size community, developers that listen to feedback and let us know they hear us and, most importantly, all those variables work well together.

No there is nothing wrong with emulating features, especially if the game has all those things you described going for them.

What some developers do, like Crytek for Crysis 2 for example, is they emulate multiplayer features that are well defined and crafted from games and franchises that are exceptionally successful and popular in a vain attempt to increase their fan base (sales) by making their game look like those popular games, but selling it as if their version is superior.

What makes COD multiplayer, BFBC 2, etc., popular, in my view, is the idea that players can customize their weapon loadouts (perks, etc.). What I don't want to see is the same systems transplanted from those games to HOS. The ideas for customization, "perks", and other features should be adopted, but more creative and better than what exists in those games now.

What I dislike is flat out copying without any flair or creativity.

Upvote 0

Remember to let us all know if you find one, other than RO2 of course :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0