• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thx for your so called "Optimization"...

johnkel

Sep 15, 2011
Really, ty TWI.. thanks...

Since release, every patch that contained "optimization" made my game run worse than before. With the latest patch, it went down the ****ter completely. I'm always scared to death when a new patch pops up. Hell, patches should be something you're looking forward to but it's the complete opposite for me. Who the **** are you guys optimizing for? Or should I say "against"?

It's really a shame that it's you guys who're ruining your own game for me. Even though I love it to death. Seriously, I'm pissed at you guys, not the game.

PS: I'm always deleting my RO2 folder in my Docs after every patch (since Beta) to let the game generate the config files anew since this should be common knowledge anyway. Just to clear things up before some Mr.Fancypants tries to get all smartass on me.

CPU: Q6600 G0 2,4Ghz @ 3,6Ghz
CPU-FAN: Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core216 SSC
RAM: 2x 2GB (4GB) Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400
MOBO: Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI
PSU: OCZ 550W Fatal1ty
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 250GB and 500GB

*EDIT*
I screwed with the settings almost as much as I played the game.
Most mysterious thing to me are those "1 second freezes". Those happen mostly when an enemy player stands about 1-2 meter infront of me and fires. Yes, happens only with enemies, with every weapon and only in MP. Doesn't occur in SP.

When I set every setting to low/lowest and disable the check-settings, the game runs with about 150+ Fps but the 1-sec freezes still occur.

Setting everything Medium/High/Ultra I get exactly the same FPS and hiccups.

My tweaked settings were fine until the latest patch. (30-60 FPS) (Yes, Ultra, strangely I got more FPS when they were set to Ultra than set to High) (And no, I'm not happy about the look I get with those)

And yes, my AV is set to not fiddle with any files in my Steam folder.

I had way better performance during the Beta.

Last edited:
Gonna be a partypooper anyways.

You PSU is doesn't have the recommended Amps rating for your videocard (30+ Amps for a single 12V rail, OZC 550 Fatility only has 25 Amps/12V rail)

Plus you rig, running OC'ed, is stretching your PSU Wattage wise as well.
Q6600 @ 3.6 draws ~210W, GTX 260 draws ~336W at full load (this is already 546W) add a few other components and you will see your PSU is not adequate

Last edited:
Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
for many quality PSU's the rated amount is the continuous load variable, rather than the peak power. Especially if parts aren't running at 100% it makes it somewhat doubtable that the psu is running low on juice.

I have blown up 3 psu's in my life, and it generally hasn't resulted in reduced performance until they went up in smoke and flames.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
for many quality PSU's the rated amount is the continuous load variable, rather than the peak power. Especially if parts aren't running at 100% it makes it somewhat doubtable that the psu is running low on juice.

As long as people forget to add the specs of their PSU (preferably brand and model) we will never find out IF their PSU's could be part of the problem though.

(I wanted to pm you Zets, so you could pass on this train of thought about PSU's to the devs...)

P.S. Some people have crashes without bug reports/logs which point to faults in their rigs/setup

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thing is underpowered PSU's can create crashing and unstability as parts do not get enough juice to run at the required clock speeds. But in general performance does not change of the parts. The effects in general of not having a strong enough psu are similar to under volting (or with bad psu's at times overvolting due to voltage control drift).

Most psu's rated at say 500 watt can run at like 800 watt for a reasonable amount of time, overpower it for too long and things will get too hot. Either causing the psu to shut off if there is a protection circuitry, or causing it to blow up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Rrralphster

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I know, and according to my research back then about my GFX-Card, those 36AMP on the 12V-Rail minimum requirements are bull****. Plain and simple. Also my PSU got two 12V-Rails with a combined 50AMP which is more than enough.

For the overall usage, yes I give you that, especially if you consider my OC'ed CPU, it gets very tight. But my system is battletested and there were no problems whatsoever "ever".

But since I'm not "that" ignorant I'm gonna give your "somewhat" advice a chance.

#1: I'm gonna tone down my CPU and GPU a bit and see if it makes any difference (even though, I already know it wont).
#2: I'm able to get an CPU for testing (Enermax model) with 30AMP on every single 12V Rail (good luck on finding a PSU with 36+AMP on a single V12-Rail with a reasonable pricing back then when I builded my system :rolleyes: ) and see if it makes any difference. (Personally, I don't think so).

We'll see. I'll report back for sure.

*EDIT*
Btw, the game crashed only a single time. And that was in Beta. Never crashed for me again since then. (Not even on very long play sessions 4-6 hours straight).
Oh, and those 1-Sec freezes I have, personally I think those are Sound related.

@Das Bose
LOL another one who's nothing else to do than spraying his crap in the Support category in these forums. Really appreciate it. You're so helpful and a good person, I bet you snot rainbows and **** gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
regarding 1 second freezes are you running on wireless internet. Usually those freezes happen when it is searching for new networks.

a program called WLAN optimizer can help with that. (disable the automatic searching for better networks and simply select what network you want to connect to yourself).

Under ROEngine.ini try changing the poolsize of the texturestreaming to about half your GPU memory (it is set at 140 by default).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
regarding 1 second freezes are you running on wireless internet. Usually those freezes happen when it is searching for new networks.

a program called WLAN optimizer can help with that. (disable the automatic searching for better networks and simply select what network you want to connect to yourself).

Under ROEngine.ini try changing the poolsize of the texturestreaming to about half your GPU memory (it is set at 140 by default).

Nope, I'm not on WLAN. Solid cables here :D

Gonna try lowering the poolsize. Thanks for the reply :D

Upvote 0
I have to agree with the OP on many of his points. Many have suffered with increasingly poor performance with each patch and many of these have top of the range rigs with decent power supplies. My rig is mid/high range:-

Intel Q9550 at 3.8ghz with Corsair H60 cooler
EVGA GTX480 SC with Zalman cooler
4gb ram
Windows 7 64 bit
750 watt PSU

Like the OP I've had this problem with performance dropping off with each patch and IMO the game looked and performed better during beta. I think RO2 will end up a great game eventually but I've just had to rage quit from a game due to the awful stuttering and fps drop introduced by the last small patch. I also don't remember the awful pop-ups of bushes and trees that we have now during beta. I have to admit that going from a very good looking game at 60+ fps to one where patching has compromised the looks of the game along with a frame rate reduction to 35-40 fps is pretty frustrating. This is also the first time I've suffered with the lag/stuttering even in single player. I need to add that running in high or medium settings does not improve these problems much at all and as far as I'm concerned I have (during beta) and still should be able to run at Ultra settings.

Take a look around guys. There's a good percentage of people with the same problems as the OP and me. As TW have said themselves 'there is a bug causing the CPU to bottleneck the GPU', I hope they find it fairly quickly before some start to decide that things are not going to improve and vote with their feet!

Upvote 0
@Das Bose
LOL another one who's nothing else to do than spraying his crap in the Support category in these forums. Really appreciate it. You're so helpful and a good person, I bet you snot rainbows and **** gold.

I've helped plenty of people. The ones who have the sense to lower settings instead of ranting when performance is bad.

Upvote 0
A lot of the hitching, FPS drop is due to the sound

From your specs I take it you are using the inbuilt sound, make sure you have the latest drivers, then go into the game, make sure the Max channels is set to 32 and low quality sound.

The game has been designed with Xaudio2 and its crap, it puts too much strain on the CPU and wont use any sound chip to accelerate the sound like a decent sound card would if they used OpenAL

Worked for me and a few others, and I have an Xfi... to me it was the biggest mistake TWI made when designing the game

Reactions: Neil79
Upvote 0

From your specs I take it you are using the inbuilt sound, make sure you have the latest drivers, then go into the game, make sure the Max channels is set to 32 and low quality sound.

The game has been designed with Xaudio2 and its crap, it puts too much strain on the CPU and wont use any sound chip to accelerate the sound like a decent sound card would if they used OpenAL

Worked for me and a few others, and I have an Xfi... to me it was the biggest mistake TWI made when designing the game

Interesting, will try that out tonight

Reactions: Jason_Argo
Upvote 0
The thought that a 500w PSU that is maxed out by a game that is for most people limeted at 62fps and that has like 40% cpu and gpu usage is really laughable.

If gaming would cost so much electricity I would start growing pot instead.

Exactly, it does barely use my GPU and even my CPU isn't at full load when I'm playing it.

Those are exactly my thoughts too and that's why I mentioned it in one of my original post's edits. And yes, I'm using my crappy onboard sound but the drivers are the latest.

I've helped plenty of people. The ones who have the sense to lower settings instead of ranting when performance is bad.

If you had read my post, you would know that I tried loads of settings and that the game ran(!) better with set these on Ultra than set on High.
But you clearly didn't read it. You just came in here tl;dr;trollololo
If that's how you help people...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After a few patches (not sure which caused it) I'm also getting the 1 second stutter issue. Not sure what to do with it...it ran fine before. I have settings on high with a sprinkle of medium I've tried lower and it runs better as far as FPS but still has this issue....said something ingame and a bunch of people started talking about having the same issue.

Upvote 0