• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thoughts on Realism and RO:2

Posted this on another thread but decided it would be better here, sorry it's long as balls.

I think a main problem is TWI's inconsistent definition of "realism" to justify the inclusion of various elements of the game. Realism in this community has a normative and positive value, everyone wants realism, realism is good, what separates RO is realism from other shooters etc. As a result most features in the game need to have a backing of "realism". However what needs to be said and understood is that there is debate as to what is realism actually means in application.

Broadly defined realism can be approximated as having the value of being true to life.

In a typology I would separate realism in videogames into two broad types, realism of inclusion, and gameplay or behavioral realism. These two are distinct and at times conflicting and are the result of trying to apply a very diverse world onto a very finite piece of simulation.

Realism of inclusion means to me, that if something is included in life that means that it can and should be included in the game, and theoretically it should not break gameplay because it conforms to real life. Is it "unrealistic" to include MKB's? According to realism of inclusion, no, because there were mkb's in Stalingrad, and there were probably situations in which they were used in the frequency they are in this game. It is therefore unrealistic if they were NOT included in the game.

Same with aim-zoom, in real-life you are able to see much farther than you can on a computer, and so the inclusion of a zoom to help approximate what you can actually see is a sensible solution to be "realistic". In another way, it is realistic to include the King Tiger or the clown car because they were both in WW2 even if they were rare.

Gameplay realism attempts to coerce the player to play in a manner than the designer deems realistic to the time period or to what he conceives to be the effective human capacity in a given circumstance. Even if this was maybe not always "realistic" to what one could do or experiences in real-life. Inclusions of gameplay realism can be seen in the application of motion blur, and desaturation to indicate suppression. Similarly in RO1 when one was hit and only injured, you would experience a temporary slowdown in movement.

Are these things realistic? After all, no one loses color vision and has blur when bullets are flying, and you wouldn't run slower after be shot in the arm, but they produced a realism of results. Players are more cautious about being shot because of unrealistic gameplay features, but this creates its own realism.

Simply put, most ideological battles on a feature being "realistic" are moot, because they rest on different interpretations of why something is realistic or not and since you cannot have perfect realism of inclusion and realism of gameplay as in real life, you have to make design choices in one direction or another.

What can be more concretely measured and argued for is immersion. I define immersion in a videogame as the level to which a person identifies and connects with a digital avatar as an embodiment of the self. This can be either in an abstract way, as in the way you relate to a fictional character or in a direct way as in feeling physiological effects from virtual stressors (adrenaline when an mg opens up and you just manage to find cover is in example). Good games are often ones that have high levels of immersion, where one has attachment toward characters.

I would argue that what made RO:O great was that it had high levels of immersion. Similarly, I would argue that RO:2 has less of that sense of immediate immersion. A lot of the design choices I believe were made without understanding how it would effect the cohesive whole of the game.

A good one is bayonets, it makes sense that all players have bayonets affixed when preparing an assault, as that would probably be the case in close range fighting in Stalingrad. That is an example of realism of gameplay, but by removing that sense of choice TW removed a sense of immersion with the character. Same with the rest of the forced unlocks.

Similarly by including things like the MKB, or the MP-40/II, and the host of other rare weapons in the game this realism of inclusion has produced gameplay that often times feels less realistic to life or the time period. In a more controversial point, same with the aim-zoom, players can see what they can in life, but respond in ways that feel maybe less appropriate to combat in real life.

In summation you need both, and to balance them with an ultimate aim of how a game should, using all the opaque grandeur of the term, "feel".

Is it "unrealistic" to include MKB's? According to realism of inclusion, no, because there were mkb's in Stalingrad, and there were probably situations in which they were used in the frequency they are in this game.

You may want to revise that statement.

Or stick with it, I don't give a ****, realism is broken and will only be fixed by modders.

Upvote 0
If you were a woman I would ask you to be my second wife already. You verbalised many of my unspoken thoughts.

The first time I had artillery landing near me in RO1 I hit the dirt and was genuinely disoriented and even a little bit frightened. That was when I fell in love with the game. I don't think RO1 is objectively more realistic than RO2 in any meaningful way, but RO1 feels very authentic because it is a very "naked" game. Sure, you're controlling a fat man with bad vision and weak arms, but it really feels more like actual combat than any other game you have played. Over a long enough period of time played, the clunky controls would cause results that with a little imagination emulated all aspects of a pitched battle. Your ingame avatar made mistakes, had doubts and wasted ammunition, not because these were in game features but in the end this is where the feel and flow of the game took you.

RO2 offers more hard and straight realism, but as a result of it's much briefer snippets of combat, it models perfect soldiers that in their very brief lives (rarely longer than 2 minutes) are always fighting with perfect execution of all their abilities. You have full control of all abilities you need to be an infantryman in a game, and so you are not held back by clunky controls that would otherwise result in you playing and achieving more believable outcomes.

I argued in my thread that that RO2 is a microscopic view of Stalingrad combat, focusing on very brief and brutal prepared assaults. There is no time for a battle to evolve into a larger narrative where your avatar has experienced ups and downs, things that makes it feel more real. RO2 is a snapshot in comparison to the feature length film that is RO1, and even if RO2 were an unedited photo of a genuine alien spacecraft, RO1 being a fake video would probably come off as more life like.

Upvote 0
Prototypes being in the game isn't realistic and so is the amount of SMGs and semi autos, especially on the German team.

The goal of OP was not to discuss the inclusion of the Mkb, but the reasoning of why it was included versus other reasonings of inclusion.

Op very clearly stated the ground upon which RO1 and RO2 are build. Not attacking one view, but stating what is what.
Very well written explanation

Upvote 0
Interesting and thought provoking assessment from the op , +1 for that.
Teasing out the concept in order to further a conclusion.
I would think the end goal is finding that very very fine central circular overlap of the various realism input areas to reach what we might term gaming rapture.

Each area would have its own advantages and possible mutually supporting similarities.
A fusion of what is immersive would imo incorporate the following
-A realistic speed at which the game is played (being forced to think as opposed to being forced to rush blindly)
-A reasonably accurate weapon loadout (at the very least the option to limit weapon choices, you will play differently with differing weapon availability)
-Some would say zoom v no zoom, find the happy medium with a very slight zoom upon going to ads and no additional zoom
-Weapon ballistics reflecting both realistic rate of fire and accuracy

Items can be added to the overall input circle areas i.e. bandaging-suppression etc
Somewhere within the overlap area of all these items lies the balance that will push a good game into being a great game.

All about balance Danielsahn, atm it feels quite unbalanced to many from what's being posted throughout the forums.

Reactions: Dheepan
Upvote 0