• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thoughts about Ro2

Wow this is the best post I have read on this forum in a long, long time.

You have obviously put a great deal of thought into what you wanted to say, and every bit of it is fair and rational. Pretty much all of it is what I've been thinking for weeks.

They can fix it all they want, and I do hope that they do. I'd like to see the same kind of performance on my rig I was getting before the big 3gb patch a few weeks back. But even at that, it's hard for me to say I'll come back to ROHoS with the same dedication I had to ROOst. It's just not as much fun, mainly for all of the reasons you outlined. And that really IS a shame, because I'm one of the people who for YEARS was waiting for this game, telling my friends 'just you wait...it's gonna be epic'. And now that it's clearly NOT epic in the same order as Ostfront...I have nearly given up any hope that FPS shooters will ever have any lure for me again.

And that sucks.

ps I remember playing on Splat's server back in the day. gg's.

Upvote 0
I'm not a RO ost veteran, but I share many of the same opinions on RO2.(Heroes, unlocks, talking troops etc.)

Why I play it is because it still differs somehwhat from the mainstream BF and CoD. It's not as mindless with rockets flying around everywhere, that's why I got intrested when I saw some gameplay videos.

But many things are still broken, and not as many players around anymore. Many people are still waiting to get to play a working RO2 I think. Half a year more in development would probably have done alot of good.

Upvote 0
I've been playing RO since the start (UT2k3), and I agree with your points Zocko. However, there is one thing you're missing. The core gameplay is improved by quite a lot over RO1. By this I mean, forget about all the stats and weapon load outs, strip it all away. What remains is a very solid game with very nice gunplay.

That's your subjective opinion, not fact.

I would have to disagree with you. The gun and gameplay is way to "Twitch" for a realism WW2 shooter.

Upvote 0
I've been playing RO since the start (UT2k3), and I agree with your points Zocko. However, there is one thing you're missing. The core gameplay is improved by quite a lot over RO1. By this I mean, forget about all the stats and weapon load outs, strip it all away. What remains is a very solid game with very nice gunplay.

You

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Coversystem:

It was a nice idea to put it in but you can be safer if you avoid using it. Most of the time you get conflicts with the other functions the exact button has. You want to pick up something you get into cover same with manning a heavy machinegun.

I disagree on that too, cover system can be really effective if used right and in the right place.

Upvote 0

i played a little ro1 i got into it late sadly. but for some reason i played the tank maps a lot more in ro1 and really havent touched them at all in ro2.

sadly the servers are down to about 2000 players sometimes. many of which are filled with stinkin bots.

i agree that the controls are clunky. ive got stuck in an endless prone stand up loop a few times and also a cover - trying to pick up something loop, both of which had me killed a dozen times.

over all i think ro2 has something different but the maps arent as mechanized as i wouldve thought. bf3 has a better supression system. i feel bad that ro2 hasnt done better.

Upvote 0
Your soldier talks only when there is a freindly around and that phrase he says only when he is heavily suppressed and under fire, so your point does not stand. Dont really understand why is there some much *****ing about the battle chatter, it makes the game immersive.

Incorrect. At times soldiers will even break the fourth wall.

Examples: Shoot a friendly from a far distance with no one around you. Your soldier will say "you're shooting our guys" talking to you personally thus breaking the fourth wall. Also when he says "I think I got him" when you kill someone its the game telling you you killed him and don't have to be careful of him coming to get you, even if you can't tell if you killed someone.

RE: OP:perfect statements.

Upvote 0
Good point on chooseable spawnzones, but it's only one of a few things destroying teamplay. I did play in Aliens versus Predator today and even there marines tried to play together and win, because only playing as a team (covering each other, covering different angles, etc.) they can win against teams of aliens and predators.

In Bad Company 2 I noticed that you don't really need to play as a squad member to be "good" (I mean on top of the leaderboard), so in the end I felt like playing team deathmatch where people were running around and trying to kill without any sense of teamplay. And they could be on top.

I think something similar is here - people caring only about killing other people are sitting in a "nice spot" and... acting like a bad marksmen, because good snipers and riflemen would know that they should not only sit in a "nice spot", but also help their team by picking up machine guns, snipers, keeping windows clear and so on to help their team to advance.

People have no idea that they should act like a team and as the result they do only thing they know - run and gun. When the other side is doing the same the game let them and everything turns into simple deathmatch. When someone assumes command and bring in order - squad leader keeping his unit together (that alone is not an easy task, I have to say) and acting as a team (like ordering people to cover while the rest of the team is advancing), commander cooperating with his squad leaders by sending in recon plane and asking for artillery coordinates and classes doing their job and communicating with each other - then more organized team is the winning one.

Add lack of 3D VOIP or any sensible communication with those around you AND ONLY AROUND YOU (team VOIP is far from perfect and squad VOIP is often useless, because of multiple reasons) and lack of knowledge about infantry squad tactics (or even common sense) and you'll see why people act the way they act - run and gun. Because it's only thing they know and only thing they have been learned to do when they did play in most FPS games you can find on the market.

Talking soldiers aren't too bad in my eyes. It's good when they warn your teammates that they have to reload or warn them about snipers/enemy fire or someone is shouting that they're friendlies. Problem is that sometimes soldier is speaking when he shouldn't. I really don't need my alter ego to taunt Germans to come to him/me.

Honestly speaking it's not too big problem for me and I find it more useful rather than harmful. It reminds me a bit of Left 4 Dead speaking system where the models are speaking in order in relieve the player so he doesn't need to write/speak that there is a hunter nearby, he needs to reload or he needs help and players can focus to say more important things to their teammates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I feel exactly the same way. Thanks for putting it into words. Unfortunately I feel as if RO2 was a waste of money as I hardly play it and when I do I rarely get any enjoyment. Maybe the mods will be fun?

I feel exactly the same way. Thanks for putting it into words. Unfortunately I feel as if RO2 was a waste of money as I hardly play it and when I do I rarely get any enjoyment. Maybe the mods will be fun?

Yes, he pretty much nailed it there.

I bought RO 7 October. The last time I played RO2 was 10 October.
I have been spending 20 hours trying to enjoy it but I can't simply do it. So a few days after I bought Red Faction: Guerilla, and right now I play red faction: G, RO1, and arma. It's a shame really. A shame that I bought RO2 just to be dissapointed and then go back playing RO1. I have been waiting for such a long time. But I do believe that it isn't to late to fix all this but the thing is that TWI will have to do a lot of work - but not only that - they'll have to change direction with the game agian and aim it at the audience RO1 was aimed at.

If this doesn't happen, I believe future sales of any RO game will be decreased a lot. Right now, RO2 tries to compete with the big boys, and trying to make the gameplay appeal to the mainstream.. thing is, there are other games that do this job thousands of times better then Tripwire. Because RO will never be able to compete with BF or COD UNLESS it become a COMPLETE arcadegame, then, the chance at least exist.

At the moment, RO2 is away to hardcore for the mainstream audience. Who can deny this? At the same time, It's away to simplified to the old fanbase. Now, the problem is: RO aims at an audience that doesn't exist, like many other games have done before and failed.

Turning their back to their old audience even the slightest is VERY dangerous, because if there is one thing people hate, no matter if it is in games, movies, or books, is a sequel that moves away from It's roots. People generally don't like big changes. Because in that way the sequel loses it's own meaning to why it was created in the first place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0