• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

This is not a console. Key Bindings

Inuki

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2011
I'm a little disappointed. Do Tripwire know they are on the PC platform?

left control = bandage, hook up to wall and pick up items.

That would be fine but you can't separate them in the control options because those actions are bound to a single or two keys. So can we separate them out and allow players to have greater control of their character?

Or maybe you guys are big fans of Resident Evil 5 where the square button is pick up item, interact with object, heal, use item, hook up to wall. Besides this moaning (because it makes the game feel more console and it also makes me feel like Tripwire are insulting players) the game is awesome =)

personally i hope that the multifunction keys can be seperated.

Zoom/Sprint can already be seperated (although the zoom button does not appear as a seperate function in the bindings menu yet).

So i hope that

scrollwheel = next weapon / change IS range, can be split up as well (I do not like it if my scrollwheel changes weapons, but i like to use it to set the range).

and like you said that the
control = use/ cover /bandage button can be split up. (cover & bandage together works quite well but its annoying that the use button is the same makes picking up weapons quite difficult at times).

Upvote 0
I died a couple of times from attempting to bandage myself whilst in cover, only for my character to go in, out and back in to cover while I bleed to death. Same goes for picking up a weapon in cover, you have to come out of cover for it to pick up. On Fallen Fighters, that is insta death.

This happened to me too.

I was in cover against a wall and I got shot. Press control to bandage.

-presses control-

-unhooks from wall-

=D

Upvote 0
Biggest problem yet is mounting a heavy machinegun. Most of the time I get in cover next to it, it is very frickle. You have to look at it exactly the riiiight way for that icon to pop up.

I dont know which are split up since my button layout screen is somehow bugged and text is on top of each other.

Would be nice to have cover and use seperately, this way it is frustrating.

Upvote 0
I would very much like B to be bandage and control to be hook up to wall and maybe F or something to be pick up.

Now. I can set two buttons to be pickup/bandage/interact/hookup to wall but I can't set any buttons to those individual actions. I do hope this has been taken note of! Bane of my existence =D

Upvote 0
full fucntion

full fucntion

people we are paying for a game the least the developers can do is give us a full range of key commands and the option to reassign them as we see fit as in nearly all other proper fps pc games a little thing like this can kill a game before it gets off the ground i wan t to play not look at my keyboard . it should be second nature which key you use .
USE the unreal key binds and everyone will be able to play the game .

Upvote 0
This cause many times that I can't pick up a gun which is lying on the ground next to a wall or in a door. My soldier always love sticking to the wall better instead of picking up that damn weapon.
It's a very blocker bug I think what needs to be fixed! It's unbelievable how we always die because of this unusable key combo!

WE NEED AN OPTION TO SEPARATE IT PLEASE!

Upvote 0
A famous game designer who'se name eludes me at the moment once said that good game design is to simplify controls, where a game requiring only a single button to be entertaining is most brilliant.

That doesn't mean that combining functions to single keys is automatically good game design. While I don't struggle with the controls in this game, I do see that there are conflicting moments where the game can interpret your intentions contrary to what you actually want to do (for example stick to cover instead of mounting machine-gun). The system as it is is actually rather good, the game understand priority like how bandaging comes before sticking to cover and interacting with the environment, but we really should have the option to separate individual functions.

I really don't want to change weapons with my scroll wheel (it is rather sensitive which makes clicking it without scrolling it more troublesome than it should be) but I like adjusting the sights with it and can't think of a better use for the scroll wheel. I would also like an entirely separate "Interact" key for more sensitive context based actions (giving ammo, using commander's radio) and have another for more general actions like sticking to cover and quickly applying bandages.

I find that while this is an excellent game, most of it's faults can be found in interface design and interface coding. Not being able to bind keys with the menu freely is in the same department as the clunky squad/class selection screen that is slow to navigate and occasionally bugged, it is in the same department as the rushed Map vote interface that resets scroll bar positions every time anyone votes for a map, and it is in the same department as the score board and text chat interfaces being hugely unappealing and uninformative. It is like everything else in the game recieved higher priority than tailoring the interfaces for smooth use and high functionality.

I'm sure we will get there once TWI has sorted through whatever list of high priority fixes they are working on. I'm glad the game is playable for me but I don't doubt this will be my game of the year once they start polishing the "little" but massively important bits like the human-to-computer interface.

Upvote 0
Also, the console command key is hard-coded to tilde (~) and cannot be remapped. Other than developers and admins, no one uses this and its proximity to both the '1' and 'Tab' keys means it is frequently hit inadvertently, generally resulting in the player's death. Either allow this key to be remapped or move it to a key on the completely unused right side of the keyboard where it belonged in the first place.

Upvote 0