• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design tHE rOAD TO OREL FINAL MAP THREAD BY THE AUTHOR

A team of good tankers in 2 separate SU76's can decimate a Tiger pretty quick with HE rounds (due to it's rapid fire rate) but few Russians have realized this fact yet. So I usually go alone in an SU76 and try my best to end the Tigers reign of terror when alot of the rest of my team is usually busy bouncing their AP rounds off it's front and getting toasted by 88mm fun cylinders. Now there are alot of good tankers out there that play Russian but there are also alot that have no clue which is what frustrates me.

True bout the mix of tanking skills but I have found it only takes 2 red tenkers to know what to do with good team communication skills and the lesser players will start to co-ordinate with you.

Problem I find with the SU is it can't cover ground like the T34 can so it makes flanking a Tiger quite hard also, with low player numbers getting a 2 man crew in them that works effectively is almost 0. Soloing in a SU76 is near suicide. Then again, going up against a Tiger with support solo in anything is suicide :D

Would be nice to have a Red heavy that was historically correct as part of the team but we might have to wait for that.

Upvote 0
Problem I find with the SU is it can't cover ground like the T34 can so it makes flanking a Tiger quite hard also, with low player numbers getting a 2 man crew in them that works effectively is almost 0. Soloing in a SU76 is near suicide. Then again, going up against a Tiger with support solo in anything is suicide :D

Would be nice to have a Red heavy that was historically correct as part of the team but we might have to wait for that.
What I mean by "2 guys in 2 SU76's" is 2 separate SU76's staying together and operating primarily as a counter Tiger team. I solo all the time in the SU76. I use it as an extreme range (900-1000 meters range) "ice breaker" for when all my buddies are ganging up on a Tiger with mostly ineffective AP rounds. You are alot more likely to avoid a tomb ticket if you use it at extreme range. I've finished off quite a few Tigers just through HE attrition. Yeah the SU is alot slower than the T34 which is another drawback in addition to its weak armor.

Upvote 0
RO-Road to Orel BETA 2 available

RO-Road to Orel BETA 2 available

I have just uploaded RO-Road to Orel BETA 2 to Maporchestra and to RaidersMerciless -Thanks Mike.

Its up on MapOrchestra now.

A few tweaks to go and its done.

Thanks for all the support, suggestions, critcisms, arguments, and general pokeing and prodding guys. Hope you like it.:D

http://www.maporchestra.com/downloads/p13_sectionid/23
http://www.raidersmerciless.com/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have just uploaded RO-Road to Orel BETA 2 to Maporchestra and to RaidersMerciless -Thanks Mike.

Its up on MapOrchestra now.

A few tweaks to go and its done.

Thanks for all the support, suggestions, critcisms, arguments, and general pokeing and prodding guys. Hope you like it.:D

http://www.maporchestra.com/downloads/p13_sectionid/23
http://www.raidersmerciless.com/
Thanks Slashbot_427! You definitely need to make a thread in the beta section of the forums. Maybe a mod will happen along and create a new thread for you using your post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just loaded it up for a few seconds but I didnt have a map when I checked. So there were alot of icons all over it but just a black screen in it.

But it looks alot better, the hills look much more natural and flow alittle better. The detail work is great. The new view distance almost makes the map feel smaller since you can see the entire area now. Also now who ever controls the hills will get a major advantage thanks to the increased view distances.

Upvote 0
I just loaded it up for a few seconds but I didnt have a map when I checked. So there were alot of icons all over it but just a black screen in it.

But it looks alot better, the hills look much more natural and flow alittle better. The detail work is great. The new view distance almost makes the map feel smaller since you can see the entire area now. Also now who ever controls the hills will get a major advantage thanks to the increased view distances.

The map is much nicer....

The cover afforded those "not on the hills" is greatly enhanced thus minimizing if not neutralizing any perception of an advantage... one must fight for advantage.

Upvote 0
Bot parked in a house at east field
shot00000rz6.png

Upvote 0
Did a quickie test on this map yesterday, and the increased view range really is great. Managed to get som really nice 900-1000m kills with the pz4 :)

Looks are greatly improved. No minimap, but I guess you're waiting with that until final. The terrain seems much more natural, not as steep. The three central capzones worked well. It wreaked havok on my framerate though, but I don't mind since you don't need good framerates with tanks :) The draw distance "bug" should be fixed if possible, but it's not a map killer if it can't be done.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one to witness tiny little shrunken heads in the T34 unbuttoning animation?

I miss the distance and height of original Orel and think the trees have been placed rather arbitrarily which to my mind looks unnatural. Trees don't just sprout up, they grow where other trees are.

The distance between the three heights objectives is such that they are cappable in rapid succession which begs the questions why 3 and/or why so close?

Battles appear to last around 10 minutes, it plays more like Arad than Orel now. :(

Also pings and fps are in my experience approaching 56k levels and probably related to this tanks seem to bounce around a lot.

Upvote 0
I just tried it in practice mode. It's nice, alot of good improvements but also some things I'll point out, some as suggestions and some as obvious fixes.
#1 grass by church has collision!! Argghh, not again with the collidable grass!
#2 no T60
#3 river is creeping at 1mph yet sounds like roaring rapids
#4 ruins stairs (already mentioned)
#5 Noth heights? Horth heights? both wrong spelling
#6 Maybe just give allies PPS43 (less weapons means less textures loaded)
and who really cares about SMG selection on a tank map? I don't.
#7 no overhead map (already mentioned)
#8 no points for blowing bridges
#9 The trees............they absolutely decimate my framerates. I checked some stats at one point and you had over 200,000 polygons being rendered at once!! Also you had extremely high "Actor ms" render time leading to massive performance hit. This was all with no bots (so they weren't the ones eating up the performance). So yeah It'd be great if you could optimize it. Maybe bunch trees together that way you can use much lower poly tree "sheets" and also there are very low poly(4 poly) trees you can use that look acceptable enough and would give a massive performance boost. Of course you could reduce view distance and that would help performance tremendously but I don't know if that's something you're willing to do or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, cut that roaring sound. Like, at all. It only plays on the nerves. Secondly, what's up with the constant arty?? I mean, I was almost deaf because of it. Our commander said that he had 16 volleys. Is that true? I think that's a little too much. Also, the bloom. While arty and roaring sound (oh, the river also - it must be a lot nore quiet) hits your ears, blur hits your eyes. And lag hits everything else.
Optimize these points and you will be our King.

Upvote 0
I have to agree about the placement of the trees, its incredibly unnatural and not very pleasing to look at.

Plus the amount of cover everywhere and the shorter time it takes to get to places doesn't feel like Orel. I keep having close range tank engagements which kind of defeats the whole point of having a giant map.

Having said that though I did destroy 2 Panzer IV's, a Stug, a Pz III and a Tiger yesterday in my T-34 in the space of a few minutes. Go go rear attacks! :)

Upvote 0
Didn't get to play a full round, but the detailing does looks better. Yeah, if you want to get nitpicky, the trees probably woulnd't grow like that. I thought some of the rock formations didn't look quite natural, but that would be me being nitpicky.

What got me was that I was getting horrible frame rates, 10-15 in many places. I probably averaged 15-25 overall.

No comments on the gameplay, I didn't have time to stay long enough (plus with more than twice as many Germans as Russians.....)

Upvote 0