• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design tHE rOAD TO OREL FINAL MAP THREAD BY THE AUTHOR

Well if you learn from your mistakes you CAN do a huge tank map like this AND have it be playable but you have to do alot of things differently many of which I suggested. Why not just take the original Orel and fix all it's deficiencies/bugs/problems, add some nice realistic natural groupings of trees and have that be your "final"? That's what I would do.

I agree with that, I think the original Orel mostly needed little fixes (flying trees and bridges) and smoother mountains/terrain. Plus the 76vs88 tank loadout and removal of satchels.

Not a complete overhaul.

Upvote 0
I did some research and the Panthers at Kursk were "D" models. The Panther in game is a "G" model which came after Kursk. So for historically correct purposes yeah there should be no Panthers.

This is the loadout I would do:

Germans:
3 Tigers
7 PzIV (H)
2 STUG
2 PzIV (f2)
2 PzIII
=16 tanks

Russians:
12 T34-76
2 SU-76
1 KV-1S (KV-1S is **** it's just there for variety)
1 T-60 (very good for close quarters village tank ambushing)
=16 tanks

Seems fair to me.

Upvote 0
I did some research and the Panthers at Kursk were "D" models. The Panther in game is a "G" model which came after Kursk. So for historically correct purposes yeah there should be no Panthers.

Germans:
3 Tigers
7 PzIV (H)
2 STUG
2 PzIV (f2)
2 PzIII
=16 tanks

Russians:
12 T34-76
2 SU-76
=16 tanks

Seems fair to me.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well if you learn from your mistakes you CAN do a huge tank map like this AND have it be playable but you have to do alot of things differently many of which I suggested. Why not just take the original Orel and fix all it's deficiencies/bugs/problems, add some nice realistic natural groupings of trees and have that be your "final"? That's what I would do.

Normally, I'd say that's a possibility. However now, with the new layout and loadout.... which are very nice and totally Slashbot's... I say stay with the new map and fix the problems in it.

The old map needs to be retired.... its old. :cool:

Upvote 0
I sometimes also post while being drunk, but still -wtf??

Unfortunately he isn't drunk. He's just a clown whos ultimate wet dream is having a RO tank map with an abundance of Tigers and Panthers facing off against an army of oversized cardboard boxes with "Russian tank" written on them so that he can feel good about himself when he wins. The only reason he hasn't made a map like that himself yet is probably because no one else would play it.

Upvote 0
Normally, I'd say that's a possibility. However now, with the new layout and loadout.... which are very nice and totally Slashbot's... I say stay with the new map and fix the problems in it.

The old map needs to be retired.... its old. :cool:
If somethings good who cares how "old" it is? I don't like the new version for more reasons than just horrible performance. The rounds are alot shorter (like 45 minutes or something) and the new terrain layout make those long range slugfests on the old Orel extinct. The new version everything is cramped up with a bunch of close range battles which I hate. That was the main point/beauty of the original is the long range battles. The new version feels Arad or Ogledow-like all congested and short range combat. I stopped playing Arad & Ogledow long ago because they are way too damn small for epic tank combat. Like I said if I were Slashbot I would just take the original Orel and fix all its problems and even enhance alot of stuff like take the bridges from the new version and use them in the original, redo tree placement (have groups of trees rather than the scatter seed manner they are now). Relocate obsevation & radio call in points to the same location so you don't have to run all the way back to the building to use the radio. Fix ruins stairs so you don't have to crouch to walk up them. Fix river so it's like new version and kills you. Maybe redo the villages if he likes (but use BSP mostly this time!!!!) Fix the tank loadouts/ remove prolific satchels. You know stuff like that. Just improve upon the original rather than a complete overhaul (as Oi!Oi!Oi! mentioned).

Upvote 0
If somethings good who cares how "old" it is? I don't like the new version for more reasons than just horrible performance. The rounds are alot shorter (like 45 minutes or something) and the new terrain layout make those long range slugfests on the old Orel extinct. The new version everything is cramped up with a bunch of close range battles which I hate. That was the main point/beauty of the original is the long range battles. The new version feels Arad or Ogledow-like all congested and short range combat. I stopped playing Arad & Ogledow long ago because they are way too damn small for epic tank combat. Like I said if I were Slashbot I would just take the original Orel and fix all its problems and even enhance alot of stuff like take the bridges from the new version and use them in the original, redo tree placement (have groups of trees rather than the scatter seed manner they are now). Relocate obsevation & radio call in points to the same location so you don't have to run all the way back to the building to use the radio. Fix ruins stairs so you don't have to crouch to walk up them. Fix river so it's like new version and kills you. Maybe redo the villages if he likes (but use BSP mostly this time!!!!) Fix the tank loadouts/ remove prolific satchels. You know stuff like that. Just improve upon the original rather than a complete overhaul (as Oi!Oi!Oi! mentioned).

Must most everything here be a never ending debate? I am not, I repeat NOT going to argue this point at all. That's how I feel and all the debate in the world is not going to change my mind. In fact, the final decision is Slashbot's to make. Not mine or anyone else's. In any case, you are entitled to your opinion and I mine. I and our regulars on our servers LIKE the new version... and we recommend that Slashbot enhance and improve the NEW version.

You, on the other hand, like the old version. Good for you. End of story. :eek:

Upvote 0
Must most everything here be a never ending debate? I am not, I repeat NOT going to argue this point at all. That's how I feel and all the debate in the world is not going to change my mind. In fact, the final decision is Slashbot's to make. Not mine or anyone else's. In any case, you are entitled to your opinion and I mine. I and our regulars on our servers LIKE the new version... and we recommend that Slashbot enhance and improve the NEW version.

You, on the other hand, like the old version. Good for you. End of story. :eek:
There are more players than just me who feel similar to how I feel about the new version. A few nights ago a bunch of regulars while playing the new version decided to switch maps to the old version (and the admin agreed and did it). I'm just trying to help improve Orel by offering suggestions which I think are good suggestions, but of course people are free to disregard my suggestions. I have strong opinions and I think that turns people off to listening to them but hey, I can't help how I feel, so whatever. I'm just trying to make a good thing better but some people don't see it that way I guess. I've offered suggestions to help but it appears help is not wanted. OK then.

Upvote 0

Germans:
3 Tigers
7 PzIV (H)
2 STUG
2 PzIV (f2)
2 PzIII
=16 tanks

Russians:
12 T34-76
2 SU-76
=16 tanks

Seems fair to me.

I don't understand the need to add a third tiger or a panther on Orel, the original 76vs88 loadout has always been very balanced and fair. As long as the teams were more or less even, you could have intense matches.

If anything, it's the Russian side that needs a little boost since German team stacking has become rampant on the tank server. :cool:

Upvote 0
I don't understand the need to add a third tiger or a panther on Orel, the original 76vs88 loadout has always been very balanced and fair. As long as the teams were more or less even, you could have intense matches.

If anything, it's the Russian side that needs a little boost since German team stacking has become rampant on the tank server. :cool:
I agree but the only reason I suggested 3 is to appease German nuts who still would complain that "2 Tigers isn't enough, Tigers roamed in packs of 4 or more bleah blah bla" Of course German nuts rarely extend courtesy and fairness when the Russians have the double doomed combo of weaker tanks and also less players on top of that. I admit it has been better lately as far as teamstacking goes the last few times I've played though. But I always have this sense of excuse making lying just under the surface after the Russians actually win a match. "Oh yeah Russians only won because they teamstacked" (Even though Russians tended to have numerical superiority) While when Germans teamstack it's "GG" all around after they slaughter the Russians. I get a sense that German nuts want all of the benefits of German armor (better armor/firepower) with none of the drawbacks such as Germans NOT having numerical superiority. So it ends up Germans with better tanks + more players while Russians dine on a **** sandwich and keep coming back for more abuse.

(I know this thread is about Orel. I wont comment anymore on teamstacking).

Upvote 0
Well I can show what tanks where avalibel in the area durring the time this mape is set to.

Though I dont think it would be heard.
In any event all panthers that where avalible for the Kursk offencive where on the southern face not the northern (where Orel is). So the map should not have any panthers.

Upvote 0
Well I can show what tanks where avalibel in the area durring the time this mape is set to.

Though I dont think it would be heard.
In any event all panthers that where avalible for the Kursk offencive where on the southern face not the northern (where Orel is). So the map should not have any panthers.

GROAN........... another "history lesson". I thought this was a game, not a course in history. I must be mistaken. :confused:

Please, read THIS

Upvote 0