• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The problem with native voice overs...

utek

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
Slovenia
...is this ,many of the new and even some of the old players,dont even know they exist ingame...:( and so they compare the game even more with CoD.

like this fellow comrade

@coldfire88:
Im trying to remove the ingame acting voices, things like "MAN DOWN", "ENEMY FIRE" and things like that, its pointless since no body screamed all the time like that in real battles. its supposed to get me into the atmosphere of the game but it kills it for me, reminds me of CoD than anything else... it irritates me so much that I usually play muted, is there any way at all to disable them?

...which is really sad,because the game sounds soooo much better with native voices:)
for me and i think,also for many others,was the fake german and russian accent a gamebraker.
so what do you guys think?

i think you're missing the point. i don't care what language my avatar is yelling in, when he gets me killed for yelling.

anyone who doesn't at least look at the game options.......... not much we can do about that. they say you can't fix "stupid". ;)

p.s. i have mine in native voices and i still haven't learned any russian. maybe i can't be fixed either? :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree, However I think that by default now native voices are on, but thats only for those that installed after Classic mode/native option was released. I might be wrong there though.

The sad fact is, people just don't check the options. First thing I do, and everyone else should, is check options for keys and video settings. Yet you see people all the time say things like this : 'Whats key for prone?!?' 'How to sprint???'

Or when you suggest using native voices, instead of checking options (as its an option), they respond with : 'How do this??'

The English voice actors were somewhat a game/immersion breaker for me, they were very frustrating. Damn this gun! Come and get me if you dare!

Upvote 0
I agree, However I think that by default now native voices are on, but thats only for those that installed after Classic mode/native option was released. I might be wrong there though.

The sad fact is, people just don't check the options. First thing I do, and everyone else should, is check options for keys and video settings. Yet you see people all the time say things like this : 'Whats key for prone?!?' 'How to sprint???'

Or when you suggest using native voices, instead of checking options (as its an option), they respond with : 'How do this??'

The English voice actors were somewhat a game/immersion breaker for me, they were very frustrating. Damn this gun! Come and get me if you dare!
Very, very true. I often try to mention the native voices to players in game, and they always ask how to change it. Is it not obvious to check the audio options?! At least they are always thankful when I tell them.

Upvote 0
Yeah, people seem unaware of some settings. An other example is the option to turn off text like 'press.. to go into cover': I keep seeing that in screenshots:p

Yeah I just turned those off a couple of days ago.... though I still have icons pop up for cover.... just no text.

Maybe what should be done in the OP's topic is to have the native voices on by default, rather than the english.

But then you'll still have the other problem of new players coming in and complaining that they don't understand what's going on around them.

One group will always complain and one group will have players who don't know how to change the settings around.

I personally like having the english on & couldn't care less about voice actors doing a good accent or not..... I want to hear what's going on. When someone spots a tank, marksman, engineer, machine gunner, etc.... I want to hear those messages rather than take the extra time to figure out the translation in my head cuz I'll be shot up by then in most cases.

Or I'll just ignore everything being said and keep playing in ignorance.... so I just prefer the english.

I love them myself... regardless of the OP's quote from the member saying soldiers didn't yell out or say things to the rest of their squad, they did do this because war is loud and dangerous, so you need to yell over gun fire to tell your team not to run out that way or that they're pinned down, etc.

"I'VE GOT 6 FEET OF RUSSIA FOR YOU FRITZ!!" :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see an option for subtitles (in your own Steam language). This would have 2 advantages:

1) you get to learn what the Russian / German lines mean
2) You know who said something (player name would be in front of subtitle)

I would love this. I use the English voices mainly because I can't be bothered to try and memorize what German/Russian line means what. Subtitles would help me learn the languages quicker.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
there was a converter somewhere on the steamforums where you could replace the crappy english voices with the original ones...;)

The problem with that was that there wasn't enough audio in Ostfront to cover everything in RO2, thus some things, if I remember correctly, were left silent, or ended up using the existing RO2 voices, which to me, would have sounded pretty odd and just not worth the effort.

Upvote 0