• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The leveling system is a cancer within the game.

After a few months, when the harder core players have leveled up everything and its all getting silly with assault/battle rifles everywhere, and MP-40 II's and whatnot... I predict many people will switch to unranked servers running mods and custom maps.

I frankly cannot envisage a situation where RO1 style "realistic loadout" servers don't pop up in short order.

Upvote 0
Being able to level in the game is an added bonus. But being obsessive with unlocks and playing to the point of passing out is a mental disorder. Go see a doctor...

Not to the point of passing out, but to the point of loathing the game, and maybe I should take my friends to the doctor with me, apparently its contagious.

To alot of non RO fans its a must have for fps's today so just not having any unlocks would of turned many away.We must keep in mind TWI is no longer a mod team and they have to put food on their table like anyone else. I think the dev's did a good job of adding them without making it a "must have" to be an effective class. just my 2cents

As if games didn't sell without unlocks before.
Also... drum mags for the ppsh, yeah, awesome job :)

Anyway, I'm leaving this game until some serious modding comes in, because the leveling system is only one of the many flaws of this broken game.

For now, I'll be in Ostfront, playing for fun (and actually having it) or better yet... studying, thanks TWI for helping me out in this one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another person that feels like his trivial issue is worth a post on the forum.
Here's the deal, if you get frustrated you shouldn't blame the game for your own incompetence to keep yourself relaxed.

People that keep playing on and on while they get increasingly frustrated, show obvious signs of a lack at self control A.K.A an addiction. Which for me atleast is all the more reason to see some daylight more often.

I laugh at the vampires playing this game.

Upvote 0
I have a Level 50 Rifle man All my unlocks are working just fine lol, as well as almost being LV5 Highly decorated, everything to me seems to be in order, I like to unlock system it keeps you playing and having fun honestly.

i went form honor rank 8 to 68 by joining a server and shooting my gun once. not even killing someone, just firing. so either i got in a xp glitch server, or stats are busted.

Upvote 0
Such theory said that, the progression and unlocks would apply an extra psychological pressure on the user's subconscious, a drive, an impulse to keep playing, but more as a necessity than as an entertainment. Is like the urge to pee, you don't do it because you want it, you do it because you have to.

YOU may be that easily manipulated, but don't assume EVERYONE is.

You just keep playing, immersed in your frustration trying to get an ephimeral price.
Don't blame the game for your poor impulse control. Even in games that are far more heavily manipulative, I don't fall for that stuff, so stop lumping me in with the people who do.

It's always the same... people don't like something or can't do something but instead of saying "I can't do it" they say "no one can do it". Every game on the planet is designed to make you keep wanting to play it. That's the whole point of them.

Those kills that made you feel awesome before, now are no longer the reward
They never should have BEEN the reward. Camping in the spawn and getting 100 kills does not help the team as much as capping point and getting NO kills. YOUR reward is not OUR reward.

When your team wins, THAT is the reward. But no, people like you think it's about the kills, to the exclusion of all else. I don't care about "progression", so I don't pay any attention to that system. Heck even with the unlocks I like to play with the vanilla wepons for immersion and challenge reasons.

Anyone can score well with the MkB42. So I try doing it with a bolt or DP-28 (for example). I want to be better at the game with the standard weapons than other people are with the special weapons. That's MY game. I simply ignore the stuff in the game that I'm not interested in.

It's kind of shocking how many people seem to need their hand held.

"OMG there is a feature that is so awesome I can't resist it and stop playing when I really should! Please help me TWI, make the game crappier so I don't want to play it so much!"

Pathetic.

If YOU don't care about unlocks, no one forces you to go after them or to use them. So why try to force others NOT to use them? They like it, you don't, let them use it and you NOT use it.

The result was two hours of extra playing beyond the point of exhaustion and loathing just to get a stupid rifle unlock (that I didn't get cause of some bug BTW).
"By the way"? Not buying it. THAT is why you are here complaining. It's not that there are unlocks, it's not that you can't control yourself and come back later and get them, no it's because after all that hard work that you HATED doing, you didn't get it anyway.

So, time to cry.

The collateral result is that I haven't touched the game today in fear of this happening again, I don't even feel like touching the game now.
Some people can't drink alcohol because they can't control themselves when they do, but no one expects alcohol to be banned because of the few that have impulse control issues.

Don't look at the unlocks. Ignore them. Pretend they don't exist. No one is forcing you to use them. You will get them as you play, so you won;t be at a disadvantage, but you don't even have to think about them and so can go to bed whenever you need to.

Your problem is you can't control yourself, not the game itself.

(and enemies don't blend their colors with the scenery like chameleons either which makes it easier to see, even if they are smaller).
And there it is... the REAL complaints laid out as an aside, while he *****es about something that is NOT an issue.

RO1 is "better" because it helps you to see the enemy easier. It also stops people with good reaction times from spoiling your carefully laid sniper ambushes. It's maps are so large but the weapons that are meant to dominate such large ranges are so gimped that the standard rifleman.. the BASIC unit on the battlefield is the DOMINANT unit on the RO1 battlefield.

In other words, you like the game that is EASIER for YOU, not the game that is best designed or most realistic. No matter what you say, your complaints give it away.

Upvote 0
The chameleon thing is stupid tbh, in RO1 you could make out things unrealistically because your eye would pick up on the slightlest pixel movement.

Go outside in a forest (or anywhere with lots of "stuff"---can be an urban environment too) and have your friends move around slowly one hundred meters out, it's not that easy to pick out movement unless your eyes are focusing on just that area. (which is how it works out in RO2 funnily enough)

I remember in a flight class in high school they told us when scanning the sky to not rely on peripheral vision but to make sure we focused on each portion (doing it quickly of course).

RO2 is a big improvement in that regard.

But I'm not a fan of the leveling system either. I wish it only affected cosmetic things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After reading the OP I sat and thought for a few seconds and realised that I haven't even looked at my stats because I know they're not 100% atm.

Why would you be trying to level up a weapon in a broken system you hate?

And once you've answered that, could you explain how it is the devs or the levelling systems fault that you decided to do that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I wanted to play World of Warcraft, I'd...

actually, I'd never want to play WoW. Ever.

Funny thing is, I didn't mind unlocks in BF:BC2. Probably because they worked for everyone fairly and you ploughed through them at a good rate without feeling you were grinding.

There's just a feeling of masochism about the ones in this game to me - you never feel like you're coming any closer, and you feel like these are things you should rightfully have from the start. If the game is properly balanced, then presumably it's balanced for when everyone has the unlocks. Why take PPSh drum mags away just so we can grind to unlock them?

People were still playing RO:OST 5 years on without needing unlocks to motivate them.

Upvote 0
Come on......really? We've gotten that sensitive and PC within our society? .....SIGH

Frankly I think he used the term correctly. NON-ISSUE........and shame on you for trying to turn it into one.....seriously.

EDIT: Also he stated "...is a cancer within the game" my god people......go find something else to ***** about really....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's right.....DOWNVOTE the sane people in society. Watch the movie "IDIOCRACY" that will be the final result.

Its a sensitive subject my friend, people die everyday from cancer, so of course people get offended when a disease that kills so many is just thrown around so casually.

Reactions: Uffz.Juschkat
Upvote 0