• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The honest thoughts of an RO:Ost vet

I'm starting to get bored of the game already. Shame, because I was really looking forward to playing this game for years. But bored after a week or so = not good.

Everything about Tripwire and RO2 is reminding me of Kaos Studios, with their games Frontlines: Fuel of war & Homefront. Frontlines was a excellent game. It was slow, had big maps and you had to use tactics to win. I was expecting more of the same from Homefront, but the player count got smaller, so did the maps, and game became much faster. Run 'n gun was the winning concept. And it seems Tripwire took the same path with RO2 as Kaos did with Homefront.

Oh well. Hopefully BF3 can fullfill my online shooter needs. Played the alpha, and it was pretty fun. And it felt slower than RO2.

Reactions: Keyser_Söze
Upvote 0
I know a few guys in the military and I was talking to one who has just returned from Afghanistan. He watched me play RO2, then tried himself, and his exact words were " It feels about right " with some lads being a little quicker and some a little slower.

He also made the point that at ranges inside 100 meters there isn't a lot of careful aiming done, just a quick line up and bang, bang e.t.c.

I wonder what you are basing your idea that it should take considerably longer on?

The military seem to agree with what we have now, give or take half a second depending on the individual.

I'm loving the game ;)

Edit: He agrees that there should be some more weapon movement/sway caused by breathing hard after running.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But in RO:OST it was backwards, they used sprint in FREEAIM to make it go dead center and shooting at the middle of scene even without a cross hair is easy...

It took time to stop sprinting, and you didn't shoot centre of the screen because of free aim, you had to aim judging the angle of the weapon. There might be ways to get an initial shot in the centre, but that would not be practical most of the time. It doesn't compare to instant iron sights with shots going centre of the screen as soon as you press rmb, then following the crosshair wherever you point it.

I'm not saying I want the game just like Ostfront, but I'm saying the way RO2 is is far easier and feels like a generic FPS game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Once more I'll point out that they are the same exact maps (including your example Danzig), but the gameplay is different. Gone is the kind of teamwork and tactical play we used to enjoy.

Danzig, Pavlov's, Fallen Fighters, Grain Elevator are THE SAME MAPS FROM Ostfront.

are you serious?

ofcourse RO 1 had more teamwork and tactical play, the game was alive for how much time? 3 years? 4?

after that much time most of the players who still play the game are vets who played this game over the years/ serious people with clans etc..

you can't expect the same teamwork/tactical level from a game that is out for like 2 weeks or so.. there are alot of new players and people who didnt play RO1.

people need some time to learn the maps, all the classes, weapons etc. and only then you will probably see better tactical gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It took time to stop sprinting, and you didn't shoot centre of the screen because of free aim, you had to aim judging the angle of the weapon. There might be ways to get an initial shot in the centre, but that would not be practical most of the time. It doesn't compare to instant iron sights with shots going centre of the screen as soon as you press rmb, then following the crosshair wherever you point it.

I'm not saying I want the game just like Ostfront, but I'm saying the way RO2 is is far easier and feels like a generic FPS game.
Being someone who who HAS played the most hated of hated games on this forum I can tell you that its more easy to kills on RO2 than on those games...

-CoD depended on the bull**** that the current patch bought in but in general it was using the damage perks on assault rifles that were a good mix of close and ranged damage. In the CoD you had much more of chance dying than in RO2, in RO2 you ccan only die by being shot or blown up but in CoD you have those dumb killstreaks and million ways to die...

-Bad Company 2, it was NOT easy to kill as everyone had so much health! You could almost empty a whole clip into someone if you did not the right perks and if you did abuse the shotgun slugs then your scum...

Infact I think being able to get "easy" kills is what makes RO2 so unique...

Upvote 0
I joined the 305th ID...then handed in my resignation...as it's not a game I want to commit to for the foreseeable future. Mainly because of the failings noted in the OP.

Not only that whe i do play boredom is creeping in...not a good sign

It's just an extremely frustrating experience most of the time.

Sadly my eyes are now elsewhere for my Ost front fix.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know a few guys in the military and I was talking to one who has just returned from Afghanistan. He watched me play RO2, then tried himself, and his exact words were " It feels about right " with some lads being a little quicker and some a little slower.

He also made the point that at ranges inside 100 meters there isn't a lot of careful aiming done, just a quick line up and bang, bang e.t.c.

I wonder what you are basing your idea that it should take considerably longer on?

The military seem to agree with what we have now, give or take half a second depending on the individual.

I'm loving the game ;)

Edit: He agrees that there should be some more weapon movement/sway caused by breathing hard after running.

Your average US infantryman shoots a .223 round from an ergonomic little carbine. There is virtually no recoil and the guns are accurate as hell. There is no comparison between what they use today and the 98k or 91/30 :p They're heavier, longer, more difficult to wield, and the round they shoot kicks like a mother****er (which is made even worse because there is no pistol grip to absorb some of the recoil).

Upvote 0
Not much has changed with Apartments has it?
I dunno if its just the server I main on but most of the time its hell of lot more dynamic than in Ostfront and there tend be much fewer window campers. Mind you I am yelling at the team not use the bridges and use the gullies, other than that I can have a ounce of fun on this map unlike Ostfront...

Upvote 0
I know, I was just being witty. Lol, I am an RO vet. :p I am way too mixed on the opinion of what to think about this game, there's some parts I love, and some parts I hate.

Yeah I hear ya.

To be honest, when it comes to games I'm like that girl who always complains about her boyfriend mistreating her but will stick it out because im a whiner idiot.

If I flat out think a game is bad or is completely mindless and without any fruition coming out of it I'd just abandon it and not exert the effort of typing a bunch of words in a forum.

I think RO2 is a pure love-hate relationship. Uuaagghh. :mad:

Upvote 0
the speed in which you can bring the weapon from the hip to the shoulder and still retain accuracy is causing 70% of all the problems in game play.

It's too fast, and doesnt make sense.

+1

There needs to be more inertia and weight added to the characters and weapons. Seeing guys Insta sprint -> ADS -> Insta sprint makes me rage. If RNG gameplay became less successful, less people would play that way.

Upvote 0
+1

There needs to be more inertia and weight added to the characters and weapons. Seeing guys Insta sprint -> ADS -> Insta sprint makes me rage. If RNG gameplay became less successful, less people would play that way.

What about the camp and snipers? They suck just as bad. Hiding in the shadows waiting to kill someone is not how you fight a battle. You have to close with the enemy. Not hide from him. Nowhere in the job description does it say the role of the infantryman is to hide from the enemy.

You have unrealistic things that help you to hide, I have unrealistic things that help me to run and find you. It all balances out if you can do both.

The camp and snipers moan because when the run and gunner runs into the room with them, they are unable to do anything about it. They think it's unfair because they forget that the run and gunner had to run 100m to get there while camp and snipers sniped at him.

He's there because he is better than you. The lack of sway, if there is any, is his reward for getting so close to you without dying. If you are a camp and sniper, and a run and gunner snap shots you, it's because you didn't kill him BEFORE he saw you, which is the only reason to be camping and sniping.

It's YOUR fault, not the game's.

-

Interestingly, you never hear the run and gunners complaining about the unrealistically short stamina. An ordinary soldier is expected to fight a battle like this all day. 20 minutes is NOTHING. We shouldn't even be getting tired. In the real world I ran 9KM with a full pack and STILL got 10/20 on a 50m target. You had to to pass training. I have never done anything in this game as easily as I could do it for real.

The only people you hear complaining are the ones that thought they were good, rather than realising they were being protected by the game mechanics.

Real soldiers are taught ways of moving in order to make it as hard as possible for an enemy trying to shoot him to get an accurate sight picture. He is moving because then you have to calculate lead and drop, rather than just drop. He is moving across your field of view, not directly at you. This forces you to move your weapon to track him, making it less stable and harder to be accurate. He is minimising the time you have to see, acquire and fire at him, and making sure that when you do fire, your chances of hitting him are as small as possible, and he is doing all this with the goal of moving to a better location from which he can kill you, even if its right there in the same room as you.

All you do is sit there hoping to hit him when you see him.

Then you think YOU are more tactical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I joined the 305th ID...then handed in my resignation...as it's not a game I want to commit to for the foreseeable future. Mainly because of the failings noted in the OP.

Not only that whe i do play boredom is creeping in...not a good sign

It's just an extremely frustrating experience most of the time.

Sadly my eyes are now elsewhere for my Ost front fix.

Hmm let me see. The game has been out for 12 days. There is no other game like it. It is the only game that has the stated intention of allowing user mods as well as supplying their own mods and working with selected mod teams. It's been designed from the ground up to be what a PC gamer expects, with no console crap.

You have even already paid for it. It was even cheaper than comparable games.

Either you are utterly insane, or you are lying your *** off. There is no other reasonable explanation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0