• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The honest thoughts of an RO:Ost vet

20.PzGr.Fleck

Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2007
Okay so, having logged over 1,000 hours on RO:Ostfront and about 25 on RO:HOS (lol) I decided to compile my thoughts here.

Unfortunately most of my feelings toward the game are negative, so I'll start with what is good. I really do enjoy the graphics. The game is pretty, the maps are pretty (though they feel ... still ... and could use some more ambiance), and the character / weapon models are really well done when you ignore the post-war markings on several of the guns.

Okay, now that that's out of the way. The gameplay is really really disappointing. Between the six assault slots, four squad leader slots, three elite rifleman slots, two engineers, two anti-tank soldiers, four machine-gunners, and one commander there are 22 automatic and semi-automatic weapons on each team. I'm sorry, but that is stupid (I left out the marksman's G41 because the ZF41 is DEPRESSINGLY useless). Sasquatch has hinted that this was done intentionally by the developers, to which I ask why! Why try fixing something that wasn't broken? RO1 played great with barely any effective automatics available.

When you couple the automatic weapons with the fact that the maps are unbelievably unbalanced the game pretty much comes across as broken. I stopped playing Axis because it was just too easy, but Allies is frustratingly hard. Sure sometimes you win on Grain Elevator and Spartanovka, but how often can the Allies seriously win on maps like Commissar's House and Apartments? I don't remember that problem on Danzig.

Finally the unlock system... This might work for modern warfare games when every grunt can customize the hell out of his M4 with rail covers, an ACOG or red dot, front hand grips, etc... but it does NOT work for a WW2 game when soldiers were issued extremely standardized equipment. Unlocking a "Winter Trigger Guard" when it doesn't do **** to change the gun is stupid. Sorry, but it is. Also I find it REALLY funny that TWI made the magazine standard on the PPSH rather than the drum to "balance" it, yet it's still badly inferior to the MP-40 (which is pretty much a laser beam).

Not only is the unlock system bafflingly useless (and in many cases annoying.. why can't I take my bayonet off? OR THAT DAMN DOUBLE MP-40 MAG?!), it's also broken to hell. A guy on our TS tonight was so excited because he was at level 14 on his MG-34 totally legit--it was the only weapon that hadn't glitched out on him. We get into the next map and it had jumped to level 40 and he had the double-drum. Seriously..?

The idea of your model and weapons appearing more and more well-worn is an awesome idea btw.

Also as an afterthought... didn't you all say it would take months to become a hero? Everyone I know already has the option of being one. :|

Sorry to be so blunt, but unless something radical changes, I won't play this game once Diablo 3 or SWTOR come out :(

PS: Don't play the "Tripwire is a small company" card, because, though it's small, it's still a COMPANY. Releasing such a broken product is a bad, bad way to run a business for a company of any size. How many mom and pop shops do you know that release crappier stuff than Wal-Mart? I expect this from a mod team, not an actual game developer.

PS: Don't play the "Tripwire is a small company" card, because, though it's small, it's still a COMPANY. Releasing such a broken product is a bad, bad way to run a business for a company of any size. How many mom and pop shops do you know that release crappier stuff than Wal-Mart? I expect this from a mod team, not an actual game developer.

Although I do agree with pretty much all of your reasonings, especially the fact that we can't choose to have unlocks on or not, the whole "broken product" thing wasn't so bad, they just had a bad release with all that steam time bs, and pre-loading errors, etc.

Actually, a LOT of games have been having bad releases lately, and this one isn't even the worst (Dead Island, From Dust, others) At least they already put 3 patches out, trying hard to fix our crap we are complaining about.

I think that once they get the whole system, and optimization working good for the vast majority, they'll release the SDK, so they can break for a while.

To move on, I do very much agree on the vast amounts of auto weapons on the field. 4 squad leaders and 6 assualts is ok for 64 players, but when you add in the elites, the mgs and the commander, it kinda blows it out of proportion. I see people going squad leader just to get their semi/autos. Also I kind of miss how rifle class was unlimited in RO1, I mean, it's not such a big deal do to everyone wanting their semis and full autos, but yeah =|

Upvote 0
Yes I would REALLY REALLY like some class balancing, more rifles, less autos. And those fancy heros they promised us, I don't get why they offer us the hero weapons to work from release with DDE if they are supposed to be rare and HERO weapons, they kind of scrapped the whole hero thing which makes me really sad. Especially with the stats messing 'round with everyone.

Upvote 0
As a long time ro1 vet myself I can see your points I think more than anything for us patients is required.

First off servers can control the amount of bolts vs automatics while I agree this is a problem sometimes.Some servers has already limited automatics likehttp://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=66360 its by no means set in stone.And with time as the die hard RO players form more of a so called community i'm sure more servers will have alot more options load out wise.

Secondly the unlock system was more for the short term players.If ro1 had unlocks many of us would of had all unlocks pretty fast.As time wears on this will not be a problem most of the dedicated ro2 players will have everything unlock anyway.Besides none of the unlocks makes anyone overpowered.

And even though you didn't point this out I want to comment on the pace of the game.Alot of vets are complaining about this the pace being too high.Pace in these games is dictated by the maps like the old danzig for example was always a fast paced map.As more official and custom maps is released I'm sure the pace will change to.Which is dictated by distance to caps and spawn points etc .

Going back to the patients part while alot of vets isn't exactly pleased by the new changes.In time as servers mods and maps even official tweaks it will be alot more like the ro1 many love so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nimble
Upvote 0
Secondly the unlock system was more for the short term players.If ro1 had unlocks many of us would of had all unlocks pretty fast.As time time wears on this will not be a problem most of the dedicated ro2 players will have everything unlock anyway.Besides none of the unlocks makes anyone overpowered.

I would agree with this if we could take the unlocks off. Man in two years EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL BE USING THE MP-40/II :p

Upvote 0
I agree 100% with your post. I almost always play allies, not because I particularly favour the russians over the germans, but because I will always go to the team with lower players...and, to date, its been Allies 99% of the time.

Once I join however....I realise why. :( you've pretty much summed it up in your post.

I think the TWI devs started out with RO2 being RO1 on steroids until someone mentioned 'hang on, if we appeal to the run n gun players from COD, maybe we can make more $$' which is understandable from a business sense (hey, these guys don't do it for free...they have mortgages and families to feed, etc). Unfortunately though, RO2 is stuck somewhere between RO1 and CODWAW. The willingness to have more auto weapons rather than the old bolt action, plus unlocks is probably a good sign.

I too am disappointed with this game....not just not being able to run it above 15 fps (prob my settings, even though I run BFBC2 at quite high settings), but getting raped on Allies almost every game - be it from poorly designed maps (and spawn points) or from being hammered by MKBs and MP40s left, right and centre.

The thing I loved about RO1 was the fact that it had big battlefields and almost everyone was armed with a rifle or MG, which made it balanced. Very few took automatic weapons because it was too difficult to use, plus not very tactical on a large open battlefield.

So, what is it that TWI wants to focus on? a better version of RO1 or COD:WAW in hardcore mode? Once they decide, please let me know so I can decide whether to play this again. I'm happy to have paid the $40 to the devs so they can keep developing...however I'm pretty disappointed with the product. but this is only the beginning...hopefully they'll fix this going forward.

Upvote 0
I would agree with this if we could take the unlocks off. Man in two years EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL BE USING THE MP-40/II :p

Ya I'm not a fan of the mp40/II it took away the ppsh's biggest advantage clip size.And it was in very short supply compared to the regular mp40 used in Stalingrad in real life.I'm hopping servers will get to choose what unlocks are permitted or even mods.

In ro1 the mp40 was more accurate but the ppsh could own it fired from the hip and laying down sustained fire ....They balanced each other out very well I think.

Even now I still think I prefer the ppsh with some practice its just as accurate.And its refire rate can even gun down the fabled mkb42 in skilled hands.

Upvote 0
Things can still be changed. Just going to take some time. Take a break from the game if you feel you need too.

Things will only change if we make them change it. Most of these problems aren't simply bugs which will get fixed, these are explicit design decisions by the developers. Don't play the game, complain on the forums, persuade others not to buy the game until its been corrected, these are the types of powers we as consumers have.

Upvote 0