• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Future of Tripwire?

My thoughts on the OP:

Tripwire will realize that there is no longer a demand for a WW2 based FPS and will instead focus on the Cold War Era, but without vehicles (though they will be used in the game trailer). The game will be developed on a version of UE4 that is released about 1 month before Epic puts out a major engine update that includes features which cannot be incorporated into the version TWI is using for game development, such as a cure for the nagging "cannot prone here" issue. Based on lessons learned from RO2, this new game will not include an SDK as no one plays custom maps anyway.

Character models will not be customizable but will retain the current uniform-by-level system. You will be able to level-up your weapon and upgrades will include things like holographic sights, even though they weren't being used in 1985. Bayonets will not be included at all because they have been deemed too controversial. The long-awaited MG-42 will finally make an appearance but it will be a Hero-level weapon for Russian machine gunners only (hey, they could have still been using them in 1985 ;)). On the up-side you will have more country's to choose from: they'll add Romanian and French troops in addition to the standard U.S. and Soviet teams. No Brits or Germans.

The only carry-over from the old Red Orchestra days will be the Danzig/Apartments map layout. It'll be called "Cold Leftovers" and grenades will be replaced by RPG's and LAW rockets. The single, default game mode will be called "realistic-ish" and will have a crosshair which the user can turn on or off themselves.

You will still need to re-start the game any time you need to change the default video or sound settings and like the current system, you won't be able to change both at the same time, forcing you to do this twice. This will be one of the things that was fixed by the major engine update mentioned above.

-OR-

TWI will just add the existing Germans and Russians to their wildly successful Killing Floor 3 and wave goodbye to the RO series. ;)

Upvote 0
My thoughts on the OP:

Tripwire will realize that there is no longer a demand for a WW2 based FPS and will instead focus on the Cold War Era, but without vehicles (though they will be used in the game trailer). The game will be developed on a version of UE4 that is released about 1 month before Epic puts out a major engine update that includes features which cannot be incorporated into the version TWI is using for game development, such as a cure for the nagging "cannot prone here" issue. Based on lessons learned from RO2, this new game will not include an SDK as no one plays custom maps anyway.

Character models will not be customizable but will retain the current uniform-by-level system. You will be able to level-up your weapon and upgrades will include things like holographic sights, even though they weren't being used in 1985. Bayonets will not be included at all because they have been deemed too controversial. The long-awaited MG-42 will finally make an appearance but it will be a Hero-level weapon for Russian machine gunners only (hey, they could have still been using them in 1985 ;)). On the up-side you will have more country's to choose from: they'll add Romanian and French troops in addition to the standard U.S. and Soviet teams. No Brits or Germans.

The only carry-over from the old Red Orchestra days will be the Danzig/Apartments map layout. It'll be called "Cold Leftovers" and grenades will be replaced by RPG's and LAW rockets. The single, default game mode will be called "realistic-ish" and will have a crosshair which the user can turn on or off themselves.

You will still need to re-start the game any time you need to change the default video or sound settings and like the current system, you won't be able to change both at the same time, forcing you to do this twice. This will be one of the things that was fixed by the major engine update mentioned above.

-OR-

TWI will just add the existing Germans and Russians to their wildly successful Killing Floor 3 and wave goodbye to the RO series. ;)

And then TWI collectively laughed villainously as they rolled around in wads of cash and danced on the graves of the long dead true RO fans.

The end.

Upvote 0
and will instead focus on the Cold War Era, but without vehicles (though they will be used in the game trailer).
What makes you think there is demand for Cold War games rofl

German censorship is a joke. :confused:

I will say the TWI censorship is a joke. Many games feature Swastikas, the SS sign and other German insignias and they are ok. The most recent game was Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army. It features swastikas drawn on the walls and some enemies have swastika armbands too. RO2 is represented as authentic WW2 game and it lacks such little details that are the most important thing. We don't even have the Swastika as logo for the German team (despite the fact that the Soviet team have the hammer and sickle) and a decent Wermacht song when the match is over, let alone swastikas or SS insignias on the character models.... The TWI censorship is a joke.

Edit: even the new Wolfenstein game - The New Order feature proper insignias ->

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/dir_3074/image_307415_full.jpg

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/dir_3074/image_307414_full.jpg

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/dir_3074/image_307413_full.jpg

A sci fi shooter is more authentic on that aspect than supposedly historical game set in WW2.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No idea, so I'll make a wildly implausible guess.
A game featuring mercenary actions would be fun.

-people would join into teams for missions against other teams. Winner gets most (in game) money, losers if they lose well keep a lot of cash. Central server keeping tracks of player kills and estimating skill, to make it more interesting. T

-RPG like stats, lockpicking, traps, bomb defusing. Improved by doing them and /or spending in-game money on books, tools, courses.

-each player has one character only, RPG stats, customizable look. For $10, you get additional character. People can't die permanently during missions, but dying too often would sap game money.

-easier map-making by hacking UE3 engine to allow grid-style construction, like say in Crusader No Remorse. Procedural generations of forest/bush and grass outside. You'd just select an area, designate 'forest', select grass/bush/tree density..

-gameplay varying from African bloodbaths to thief-like stealth play.

-setting: 1950's all over the world. All RO2/RS weps. People who pay real money would get moderate discount on buying stuff with in-game money.
2 years later TWI ceo found OD's on coke & cooch in a luxury Atlanta hotel.

Hey. One can dream, no?

Upvote 0
German censorship is a joke. :confused:

Just so we're all on the same page here, let's take a look at the German-censored version of Half-Life 1:

Half-Life: The German version - YouTube

And the Counter Strike Source - censored german version - YouTube, which features the German GSG-9

Do the Germans really think that censored virtual violence really keeps everyone steeped in sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows all the time? It would be much better if they faced up to the truth of the matter.

It would also be great if TWI took the kid gloves off and gave us the fully authentic trappings of the WW2 Wehrmacht.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We don't even have the Swastika as logo for the German team (despite the fact that the Soviet team have the hammer and sickle)

Just to clear up this part: The reason it's "ok" to show a "hammer & sickle" but not a swastika is that the Soviet symbol was never one of hate. Regardless how many deaths and how much suffering the Bolshevik party was responsible for, at worst it's a symbol of criminal negligence, paranoia and incompetence. The swastika on the other hand essentially calls for all non-Aryans to die for not having the decency and forethought of being born in North-West Europe.

Upvote 0
The swastika on the other hand essentially calls for all non-Aryans to die for not having the decency and forethought of being born in North-West Europe.
that made me chuckle.
german censorship is not the problem? then please explain why the game was censored by them until just recently. now you want to say even if they had ss symbols and swastikas all over place it still would have passed the censors?

Upvote 0
I remember when I was young I was at a festival, there was a henna tattoo tent and I went in there and got a swastika on my arm, spent the rest of the week wearing it. That was when I thought it was just "good vs bad" though. I can't believe the woman would draw a swastika on a 12 year olds arm.

Well, she seemed to have taught you a lesson :).

On topic: That uniform DLC was not a bad idea. If you can forgive crossposting information from streets of stalingrad workshop thread PP.

Upvote 0
If TWI provide DLC including authentic black SS uniforms with swastika armbands for the whole team, and leather trench coats for the SL/TL, I will buy it no matter what! Even if it costs 9-10 euro.

Well, that would mean those would be Allegemeine SS and not Waffen SS soldiers. Big difference, dude. The Allegemeine SS were not combat troops, per se and so the black uniforms you are talking about wouldn't be relevant to the game. Waffen SS uniforms closely resembled the Wehrmacht uniforms that are already in game.

Upvote 0
Well, that would mean those would be Allegemeine SS and not Waffen SS soldiers. Big difference, dude.

Yes but those uniforms are gorgeous and the game is already broken on all authenticity levels so I don't see the problem using the uniforms just for the look :D

..you remember the first Wolfenstein games? Y'know the ones that weren't even allowed in Germany?

I don't live in Germany so this do not concerns me.

Upvote 0