• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Clot Grabbing Auto-Aim Megathread II: The Grabbening

The Clot Grabbing Auto-Aim Megathread II: The Grabbening

• Keep the auto-aim system as it is.

Votes: 238 41.5%
  • Make the auto-aim system optional.

Votes: 163 28.4%
  • Get rid of the auto-aim system entirely.

Votes: 172 30.0%

• Total voters
It should be out. Unrealistic and lame. The only thing I agree with on the other side of the debate is it should not be optional. Either in or out.

At the end of the day this is not a game breaker or show stopper for the game. Its just a preference. The game can still be fun whichever way TWI decides to go on this issue.

Upvote 0
This is another perfect example of solo run elitsm. Let everyone have the tools to make them survive any crap they are in. Instead of focusing on the entire teamplay element lets give everyone an AOE shield...

megazoidfacepalmplz.gif

Encourage players to look out for each others in first place before we start arguing about soloelitism play. Thats what noautofocus would give us

Autofocusgrab was put in place to punish on overcommiting on a huge threat while beeing not ready to encounter it yet. Lighten up the playground with your Medics and Mandos clean or kite the trash away from your DD and go abe**** when every1 is read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is another perfect example of solo run elitsm. Let everyone have the tools to make them survive any crap they are in. Instead of focusing on the entire teamplay element lets give everyone an AOE shield...

megazoidfacepalmplz.gif

Encourage players to look out for each others in first place before we start arguing about soloelitism play. Thats what noautofocus would give us

Autofocusgrab was put in place to punish on overcommiting on a huge threat while beeing not ready to encounter it yet. Lighten up the playground with your Medics and Mandos clean or kite the trash away from your DD and go abe**** when every1 is read.

Its not overcommiting when zeds are spawning all over the place out of thin air. You can be playing smart and if there is an decal that even looks like it might be a vent (even with Bars on it) you can expect 6+ zeds to instant spawn right out of it.

Not disagreeing with you as you make a great point but I cant tell you how many times I have been clot grabbed just 1 second after doing a 360 check.

Upvote 0
You can be playing smart and if there is an decal that even looks like it might be a vent (even with Bars on it) you can expect 6+ zeds to instant spawn right out of it.
I know what you mean with this but it doesnt happen often when I play. I dont play solo so that might be a reason. But I got this funny spawn, wish it would happen more often :D

Also dont have much problem with grabbing. When it happens its usually when things go terribly wrong. Playing in a team, covering each other, its not much of a problem really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is simply too common/frequent.

A 'special attack,' sure, if it were one zed. Give the slashers something else they can do. Same with the Cyst.

I expected the slasher would have some... special slash attack. Let him go bananas, like the fleshpound. Let him swing his arms like crazy, slashing until he's wounded bad.

Or just make it more 'believable.' Sure, let them grab the player. Then make them take a big bite and let the player go. Maybe the Cysts?

I certainly don't hate the mechanic like I did when I first played but it continues being something I don't feel adds a good thing to the game in its current form.

Upvote 0
When I'm the last man standing and I've got a fp and a scrake chasing me and I've got no ammo, I'm likely to be grabbed by clots as I flee. Because there are many other zeds to worry about (crawlers, gorefasts, etc.)

I doubt I'm the only one experiencing this.

I'm not saying it's so common that it feels like the usual getting hit by something, but as I said it isn't simply that it's annoying. It's that it's just lazy to introduce a 'special attack' that is shared. Not so special anymore. If the slasher and cysts are supposed to add variety, give them variety. Their special attack should speak for them.

I might add, it's very easy to push them away and not waste ammo. I'm not saying it makes the game too hard. Far from it. It just makes it a bit annoying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see. Well I agree I wouldnt mind different special attacks from lesser zeds. But giving it only to one zed group (clot) that would make grabbing extra rare I think. I would leave it with clots and cysts and do something for slasher since he is a different kind of animal.

Like poosh suggested, cyst should just slow you down, if you get out of range, you are fine. Slashers should just... slash you...

Upvote 0
What I'd propose is:

-Clots keep doing what they do.

-Cysts just grab the player but have powerful bites. No force-turning.

-Slashers go crazy 'fp-style' and slash non-stop, while sprinting, until they are killed or their 'stamina/timer' is done.
I think this would help keep the difficulty as their slashing damage piles on to whatever player they're attacking. Values can be made high-ish depending on what makes them feel dangerous.

Just an alternative to what is there now. I know they're not looking for feedback that just says 'it's horrible take it off!'

Upvote 0
It is simply too common/frequent.
Get better at the game.
Dont want to sound too elitist, I am certainly no expert at the game, but this could be true. It happens to me rarely, so many things must go wrong that I would get grabbed.
Are you playing solo? I really dont see this as a problem, I get grabbed maybe once or twice in a map, sometimes never.
You might need better situational awareness and better positioning and evaluating danger and escape routes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I could be wrong...but i think the players crying the loudest for its removal are playing on difficulties above hard. It's much rarer to get overrun on lower difficulties, and major issues with teleporting zeds don't really show up until you play on suicidal or higher.

When they can grab you from behind constantly even less than 1 sec after you checked your back...I can kinda of see their point of view.

However the problem is more with how unrealistically enemies can magically get behind you in the blink of an eye. Should that issue get fixed soon, I think a revaluation of the mechanic is nessecary by all the haters. I don't think it will feel as bad at that point.

I think it's a great mechanic and the only thing it needs is a slower camera swing and maybe a bigger camera jerk/delay on the inital grab. Spinning around at light speed is kinda silly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0