• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO The Best RO Map of All Time:

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
Title pretty much says it.

I have been reading through a few old threads here in the TW forums and I saw a lot of members posting about their old memories of games past.

It got me thinking:

What is the Best RO Map of All Time?

Not just in Red Orchestra 2, or Red Orchestra Ostfront, but also Red Orchestra Combined Arms and Red Orchestra from UT2003.

This is all subjective of course, but in your opinion, what is the best map of all time in RO?

Why?

Do you have any specific memories of playing that map that you would like to share?

I'll give my own view as an example:

the pinnacle of Red Orchestra's greatness in my books would always be Karlovka.

Winter map with two bridges, roadblocks sappers needed to clear for the Germans to advance, Russian snipers and riflemen taking up the houses and hill to plink off Germans as they tried to advance.... Germans trying to run through bullets and crawl behind snowbanks to eventually try and toss a satchel at the roadblocks & then survive long enough to have the satchel detonation count...... T34's trying to blow up the advancing PIV and HT's..... PIV trying to blow up Russians through windows..... Commanders dropping arty on each others teams..... AT's trying to flank the other teams vehicles... Small groups of Germans trying to flank the hill and into the houses to clear out the defenders and hold until everyone else could advance and finish the cap.

And there were 3 other objectives after all of this.

I have had the most intense battles of RO-Ever on that map and most of the servers running it were not only full, but would vote the map again and again.

The map forced teamwork to the maximum for both sides and the time limit per round forced everyone to pull their weight. If the Germans didn't have a plan and working together, they'd be blocked at the first two objectives and lose easily.... If the Russians didn't setup a good defense covering all angles, the Germans would find the hole, expose it and take the first three objectives in 2 minutes.... Then the Russians have a really hard time regrouping and holding the last objectives.

For the Russians it was all about chewing up as much time as possible on the first objectives because once those fell, it was only a matter of time before the Germans captured everything else no matter how well they coordinated on those last objectives.

There were so many matches that were down to the last road blocks by the Russians' last spawn by the train bridge that was determined by mere seconds..... Sometimes One lucky German would toss a satchel at the right time and dodge grenades and bullets long enough to blow the last RB, and other times one Russian would get a quick bullet to the German to cancel out the satchel and two seconds later, the timer is up and the Russians won.

I would either be the commander or a sapper on the Germans side. Commander to call in a strike at the houses, then flank from the hill and capture the houses & hold.... I'd shock troop all the way while the rest of the team cleared up behind or I provided distractions and cover.

Most of the time I was a sapper who'd hop into am HT and go straight for the road blocks, jump out, toss the satchel and dive through the bullets, then see the whole frigging army rush through the path I made with guns blazing. On the last objectives of the ammo depot and final road block, I would have several guys with me covering my approach and I would tell every team mate that if I die or if they see any satchels on the ground from anybody, to pick them up and get to the objectives.

Satchels were gold in that game and the sappers were the most important class on the map. In almost every other map in every other RO, demo/sappers and satchels are an afterthought and usually only used for bonus points or for minor alternative approaches

To this day I have not played a map that surpassed Karlovka, in any game... RO or not. Karlovka was by its very definition what Red Orchestra Combined Arms was all about. It wasn't primarily tanks and it wasn't primarily infantry.... Each class and each vehicle played key parts and when one was not used well by a player, it only gave a brutal advantage to the other team. As an RO player, you needed to bring your A Game and know exactly what you needed to do in your role.

:cool:

My personal favorite was Berezina River. It had a little of everything: earthworks, operational AT guns, village fighting, halftrack assaults were mandatory, river crossings. If you were going to win at all, a coordinated mechanized assault had to be undertaken by players. The objectives were linear and in stages. I really had a lot of fun with that map.

Upvote 0
What happened to your Karlovka 2 map project ?.

Wife and kid, changing of jobs, currently without my PC due to a faulty PSU that needs replacing.... You name it. The stars weren't aligning each time I tried to work on that map. I got as far as the terrain. I travelled along the length of the map and back and everything was going great, then personal life stuff happened.

Personal life stuff is also what stopped my weapon modelling and partly to do with not sticking with the vehicle mod team a few times. Almost 36 and single income earner with a kid trying to make it in Australia from moving from Canada & starting from scratch a few years ago, one could say I bitten off more than I could chew.

I enjoy working on that stuff, but I don't have the time to work on it anymore. I don't really have the time to play games these days.

Let this be a lesson to you all... Enjoy games? Like working on them? Don't get married, don't have kids, don't move countries..... Unless your job ends up actually towards working on games of course.

:/

Upvote 0
Leningrad. StalingradKessel. Danzig. Yes, I was one of those crazy bastards that liked the cluster**** urban maps, mostly for the z-axis action. Berezina was good, but the game was also dependant on the half-track assaults like moe said - I spent a very boring 30 minutes defending the last point when no one brought any vehicles to push us out last time I played :(

Upvote 0
Basovka - trench warfare and lots of deadly open ground to cross. I enjoyed being a defending commander on that map and using the top floor of the station to observe the battlefield. You could see which flank the enemy were attacking on and it was satisfying stopping an enemy assault with your artillery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If just one, then Berezina. Big map, combined arms and tank battles, pretty well balanced and it often came down to the last objective and you had to keep an eye on reinforcements. Did I mention combined arms and tank battles? :D

Oh for a RO2 version of that map! IMO best RO map ever, I never got bored playing on it in any class or side.

Upvote 0
Berezina was a terrific map. So much going on. Doubt it would translate well to RO2 what with the laser accuracy of weapons. So much open space in Berezina.
For DH I would say Stoumont was my fav. I liked the map called Berlin (yeah yeah the US didnt fight) the meat grinder appealed to me. I want my fixed guns and projectile AT weapons RO2 people. Stat.
RO2, cant say there are any maps that give me the intense buzz of the previous editions. It's a different game. If i was to pick one for RO2, probably Univermag.
HOWT - yet to play enough maps but like the direction is is going.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ooo nostalgia time.

Lets rehash some classics. In order of awesomeness:

- Warsaw
- Rostov
- Koitos
- Berezina
- Ponyri
- Sevastopol
- Moscow Highway
- Kaukasus
- Odessa
- Leningrad

These maps bring a tear to my eye :(

I just went back to RO2 after 2 years and it was nice to see old maps returning (Arad at least), but damn, I'd love some Odessa, Leningrad and Berezina.

Upvote 0
I just went back to RO2 after 2 years and it was nice to see old maps returning (Arad at least), but damn, I'd love some Odessa, Leningrad and Berezina.

Odessa has been recreated. I heard the guy that did the original Leningrad didnt want others to recreate it and for Berezine, no one attempted it.

Many of the RO1 maps just dont carry any stock with RO2 players. It is a totally different game and a totally different player base.

RO1 but with better graphics. I was for that !

Upvote 0