• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

He said models though, not animations.

Don't the third person animations of RO show the solder opening the bolt, inserting a clip and so on? I don't believe it is not possible, you could also minimize the performance issue by simply only having them shown if the soldier's really close to the camera.

It certainly would be better than that awkward thing they have now.

Yes, because ArmA 2 clearly doesnt suffer enough from LOD switching already :p

Upvote 0
Tried village sweep SP mission again. I conquered the village and secured any of the house formations around it as well, but because appearantly 1 or 2 enemies decided to hide someplace the objective to take the village simply isn't fulfilled, and I've been searching for 30min now. This game never stops amazing me.
I remember bugs like that from Arma 1. Arma(2) really shines in MP coop. The rest is meh.

Upvote 0
about these reloading animations, You need realize it would need to create proper animations for every gun which has different proportions than certain standard ...

even if you create some 'universal' workarounds You end with many groups for animations ...

same problem is with entering and exiting vehicles and each passenger position (including proper doors and sides of vehicles etc).

for all the vehicles in ARMA 2 and OA it would need around year to occupy motion capture studio to cover just this

Upvote 0
ok a couple of problems that googling and a quick look at theh arma forums cannot help with - so i'll ask you veterans.
I run 1.5

I cannot seem to start a campaign - there is no mention of a pre-requisite like completing the training in the manual or indication that that is why i can't start.

Main menu - 'campaign'

Harvest red/EW - 'continue'

Start (picture of soldiers with flag) - 'start'

Difficulty (recruit, regular etc) - 'play'

Start (picture of soldiers with flag) - 'start'

Difficulty (recruit, regular etc) - 'play'

and so on. wtf?

2) I can start a scenario/single mission but i wont again because i'll have to hard reset the pc - i couldn't quit out.

The only escape option that seemed close to quit was 'suspend' but this seemed to save and pause - it did the same thing as 'save' iirc.

wtf?

3) bit of a vista question also phaps but maybe someone knows the score here.
Both arma 1 + 2 have a default profile with the name of the guy who sold me the pc. It cannot be edited or deleted and this annoys me.

I have deleted the profile in docs, changed the user name and even changed regestry entries. Now if someone knows what else in vista must be changed then great.
However phaps someone knows where arma gets this profile name from in windows? then i can track it down and change it.

any help with any of these would be most appreciated thanks

Upvote 0
That's really weird, after selecting a mission from the campaign menu you should just be able to press play, and off you should go, loading a briefing screen.

And suspend is the quit button indeed, it creates a temporary save and should bring you back to the main menu.
If you resume the mission from it's temporary save you'll get into the mission at the point you quit, after which the temp save will be deleted, so if you die straight after that you'll be sent off to a retry point or a manual save.

I have never heard of this problem before, so i'm afraid i cant help much more than this :(

Upvote 0
That's really weird, after selecting a mission from the campaign menu you should just be able to press play, and off you should go, loading a briefing screen.

And suspend is the quit button indeed, it creates a temporary save and should bring you back to the main menu.
If you resume the mission from it's temporary save you'll get into the mission at the point you quit, after which the temp save will be deleted, so if you die straight after that you'll be sent off to a retry point or a manual save.

I have never heard of this problem before, so i'm afraid i cant help much more than this :(

ok so it looks like problems 1 and 2 have gone, because i've re-installed fresh.
I believe it could have been that i deleted the default profile (in this other guy's name) which may, although it wasn't the profile i was using, contain some general/common game data
deduced from the manual - 'note the majority, but not all, of the settings and user files (such as custom missions and save games) are stored in a different user directory for each profile.

however, although i cleared all arma2 data and re-installed the game has adopted this guy's name for the default profile again, and it really niggles me.
i think it lives in c:/users hiding behind my profile name - i'm working on that now....

Upvote 0
Create another profile...
Were you able to play before you started to suppress your default user config.

If not , it sounds like the game cannot find the 'campaigns' data.
Steam version ?

Be always careful when adding pbo's, use the @/mod/addon route.
There are some very good tools for handling user made mods and starting the game as you wish.
XP here, sorry.

Dwarden...will snipe this 4sure.

Upvote 0
hmmm - i cannot see this account at all but it's there - if i search for it by name it appears in other user account files.

I believe it is the default admin account that was set up during the vista install, and, apparentely cannot be deleted only disabled ( which i must have done as it doesn't appear in users anymore and i have my own admin account now)
however - this isn't enough for arma games, that manage somehow to sniff it out however hidden it is.

so...er....i guess i have to re-install vista despite he fact this fella hasn't given me a cd key.
the OS is windows activated and i have a product ID code of course - unless theres an easy way to reinstall i guess i have to live with it....

whoa! hang on - i've patched to 105 again and have the same problem - i can't start the campaign. arrrrgggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!

Upvote 0
well the deal is that the profile is something i can do nothing about unless i reinstall windows.
it is embedded in the install and arma selects it as my default profile

ok so the deal is you can only play the campaign as the default profile?
so whats the point of extra profiles then? changes just for multiplayer? utter rubbish
well thanks very much bohemia you tossers.
what depresses me is that i bought this pc just for arma. and it's pissing me off before i've even got into it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, you should be able to play campaigns with other profiles just as well.
I'm not using the default profile and i can play anything.

hmm - yeah i found quiting a single mission with the default problematic as well - once i had to revert then quit and another time i got stuck as before.
so there are profile related problems somewhere.
all is not well in arma world.
1.05 is an official patch right? not a beta patch?

Upvote 0
1.05 is the official release and removes the CD in requirement.
Your data has got mixed up somewhere.

There is a little hot-fix for the EW campaign that needs to be applied btw.

It would be a shame to miss out because of this.
Where are your profile files stored, in the default place I assume.
With XP they are located in MY Documents in a created ARMA2 folder.
It may be different for Vista.

If anyone can help you out its Dwarden http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76670

Last edited:
Upvote 0
cool thanks for the help
i reinstalled and in fact found that there are no profiles now - and i cant add one cos the folder doesn't exist! (profiles or other profiles) - so i guess me messing around with vista user profiles combined with arma's dependancy on them has left me scuppered.

edit -
i did a bit of vista messing and transfered rights from the default account to a new admin account - reinstalled and all seems good.

interestingly enough thou - i hear arma runs better on XP than vista anyway - so a clean reinstall of XP wouldn't be such a bad thing - as i understand arma 1 and 2 are both DX9 games.
so as long as it doesn't get a DX 10 support upgrade i guess.

more edit -
the lack of profile thing is a result of installing under a different user - this is weird because on the install dialogue i checked 'install for all users' - which presumibly saves cfgs, profiles and settings to the docs of each user account on the PC, rather than just one.
because i specified this, i didn't occur to me that it would be a problem.

I have to say if the game could just allow you to create profiles without using windows user accounts it would surely be much simpler.

Last edited:
Upvote 0