• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

I tried the SP missions(well, one of them where you have to take a village). Performance was 50x better(because of few AI around) and it was much better, but single SP missions don't make up for the FAIL campaign, I want a goddamn story and play the goddamn campaign without such bull****.

Anyways since a sniper shot me in the head after being 75% finished with the SP mission I decided to try the MP. 1/2 of the servers seem to be passworded and the rest all have 39584395843958439 addons which I have no idea where to get from.

Seriously people always whine about bad console ports and how multiplatform titles are made much more accessible. ArmA2 is PC-exclusive and yet the most user-unfriendly game I've played in the last few years. I loved OFP and all the addons and custom campaigns, I even really loved ArmA1 after some time of getting into it, but ArmA2 just won't let me. I try really hard to give this game another chance and nother chance but it just always ends in disappointment. I see the trailers for the addon @gametrailers, just as I saw the arma2 trailers, yet the game is nothing like that because it's just so damn bugged and what not.

So much wasted potential it just hurts.

Also this cheap pseudo-alive world is bull****. Civilians do nothing but stand there and go prone for no reason every 30seconds. But even more ridiculous is how they tell you that they have recently seen a helicopter and american soldiers 30sec after you dropped off. Or how every inhabitant of any random village will tell you that he is not from here if you ask him about it. Plus the physics still seem like OFPs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
man o man :) Drakon2k You failure example on search usage ;)
(fast result of BI forums, ARMA Steam Forum stickies etc)

for mods there is http://www.armaholic.com and http://www.armedassault.info
for missions and editing there is http://www.ofpec.com
etc.

if You have STEAM version (it's only 1.04)
update it to 1.05 + EW hotfix from http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/folder.html?lang=en

if You have bugs feel free to use public betas http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

----

some vids from ARMA 2 : OA

YouTube - A2OA - Death from Above (ingame video)

YouTube - A2OA - Shooting Range (ingame video)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And it certainly doesn't feel right when the AI troops twitch across the map and manage to hit you with an AK-47 even though you're 300m away from them, laying down behind a tree. Somehow I still manage to enjoy this game, despite the countless issues.

I don't get it why BIS improved the visuals in OA even though it seems to run like a slideshow. ArmA 2 vanilla is still a performance hog.

Upvote 0
They are working on a performance patch right now i believe, looking at the latest beta patch release notes.
They did the same thing with ArmA 1 and i could go from low to medium and some settings even to high after that patch, so i have high hopes for this one.

The reason they gave for not improving those reload animations etc is as has been said, the camera being placed in a third person model.
There was something about more detailed animations being more demanding and in the end it's just eyecandy.
To improve on these animations means they improve this for all hundreds of AI that can be in a battle, because there are no specific first person animations.
Personally i couldnt care less, because i never look at my hands reloading a weapon anyway, and imo you can spend your time better with looking all around you while you reload.
A quick check over the shoulder to see if your rear is still clear can work wonders, and vastly more important than something silly as seeing a hand taking out a magazine and sliding it back in again.

Upvote 0
Personally i couldnt care less, because i never look at my hands reloading a weapon anyway, and imo you can spend your time better with looking all around you while you reload.
A quick check over the shoulder to see if your rear is still clear can work wonders, and vastly more important than something silly as seeing a hand taking out a magazine and sliding it back in again.
Well it takes away pretty much any immersion, and as most of the time you spend walking around/shooting with your rifle that's quite a biggie. 1st person animations should at least be optional. And the hardware arguement is not valid because we're not living in 1990 where that might have been a problem.

Upvote 0
You want better animations. Well, sure, but that would add fps to an already hardware-intensive game (fps is fine for me these days though). And believe me, you'll get used to it. It doesn't bother me at all. It's pretty much a non-issue if you see what you get in return (teamwork, cool battles, etc). ArmA 2 is pretty much unique in its open-ended gameplay. There's a bit of everything; tanks, vehicles, infantry, air support, etc.

There are no first person animations. What you see in-game is a camera attached to a third person model. You literally see your third person model in first person. Making the animations look better in first person would also mean that they would look better in third person. Not just your own character, but every character in the game, including the dozens if not hundreds of AI and teammates. I think this is the reason why BIS haven't really changed the reloading animations. Other animations look great however, such as the crouch-run, walking and high-ready ones.

ArmA 2 isn't the kind of game you fire up if you want to kill d00ds for half an hour. To really play the game like it's supposed to be, join a squad. This is the kind of game that's supposed to be played with teamwork and communication.

Here's a list of ArmA 2 squads:

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Word of advice: 'clan' is a swear word. ;)

EDIT: oops, pretty much exactly what SiC wrote, hehe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ACE2 uses this same third person system and the first person models are substantially better than the stock game. With that in mind it can't be hard for the professionals to do it. Simple animations I can understand and live with.

I think one of the larger problems is the fact that many users get subpar graphics and subpar performance. That's very frustrating for people.

As far as the not looking at the hands argument, as Drakon said, its an immersion breaker. More power to you if you can ignore stuff like that.

Here's to hoping Arrowhead is at least optimized and there's no messy DRM. Then I'll finally get involved in the game.

Upvote 0
After trying to like Armed Assault and ArmA 2, I can say that this game is a very good infantry sim but it just isn't fun for me. It is known that ArmA serie is the commercial child of VBS and I think Bohemia somehow failed to introduce fun into gameplay during this "conversion". I had the most fun modding this game, just for the sake of modding. Coops with other people often take needless long hours and something always goes wrong to ruin the session. My friends who I convinced to buy ArmA lost their interest after a few sessions.

I'm not sure about Arrowhead. I think the support the community gives to them just returns as more eye candy and a not solid gameplay improvements. That's why mods altering gameplay as ACE exists, but they can only improve the ancient gameplay under the hood to some extend.

If Arrowhead and ArmA 2 will be multiplayer compatible(I think I read this somewhere), I'll definitely pass on this one.

Upvote 0
ACE2 uses this same third person system and the first person models are substantially better than the stock game. With that in mind it can't be hard for the professionals to do it. Simple animations I can understand and live with.

I think one of the larger problems is the fact that many users get subpar graphics and subpar performance. That's very frustrating for people.

As far as the not looking at the hands argument, as Drakon said, its an immersion breaker. More power to you if you can ignore stuff like that.

Here's to hoping Arrowhead is at least optimized and there's no messy DRM. Then I'll finally get involved in the game.

ACE2 doesn't improve the animations at all. They're pretty much the same. ACE2 adds a lot of unit variety, but better? Hmmm, maybe. Some of them do have a lot of detail (showing the blood group for example). The standard USMC units are pretty good too though. My favourite units are in the Dutch Army addon by Aeneas. :)

Upvote 0
He said models though, not animations.

Don't the third person animations of RO show the solder opening the bolt, inserting a clip and so on? I don't believe it is not possible, you could also minimize the performance issue by simply only having them shown if the soldier's really close to the camera.

It certainly would be better than that awkward thing they have now.

Upvote 0
I just kinda feel that theres no feedback at all to your weapon. It's nice that you can zoom in / out etc. but for example when you fire the gun(from the hip) it just looks like the gun doesn't even move. I'm not saying I want css style mirrored weapons with the bullets ejected into my face but some more feedback would be nice. Games like Far Cry 2 or BF:BC2 did a pretty good job on this I think(though I can see that some people dislike the way it is in BF:BC2 because the weapons are really very big and that probably has something to do with the low standard fov as well, but personally I like it, then again I'm playing with widened Fov)

Upvote 0