• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Summer Update Second Beta Changelog

my problems are as follows: The point of the upgrade system was to diversify the weapons meta, right? Well it only reinforces it. The "bad" weapons are still bad, even upgraded, While the good weapons are still usable/godly upgraded.

Take the scar and AK-12: upgrade both to tier 5, and the damage breakpoints they hit on small zeds are the same (you save a bullet on husk headshots with the scar i think; thats it.) while the ak-12 has 15 more bullets per mag and makes scrake killing so easy. They both kill bots equally as well too, so what is the point? OFC the only choice here is AK-12...

Ditto for railgun, ditto for aa-12 + double barrel

Firebug still has no large zed take down, bezerk can still kill scrakes and FP, but the scrake takedown got a lot harder, and needs parry bonuses, and the FP takedown got messy.

Husk cannon went from stupidly OP to useless, cant kill FP anymore, which is what really made it intresting, while the microwave guns alt fire still cant really incap big zeds other the non rages scrakes. Spitfires are useless, so is the trenchgun compared to the SMG, which burn through its ammo so fast, and the UMP upgraded once can 1 hit heashot gore fasts off-perk.

And while we are at it: perk choices... there are so many bad ones!... I mean, siren resistance vs frag shells (which are arguably a downgrade) for demo, hollow point rounds vs eat lead, heatwave vs firestorm and bring the heat vs HCFT... All these choices are so one sided...

The upgrade system is something im ok with, but it makes so many weapons sub-par, others OP, and the perk skill builds are still as rigid as ever.

Upvote 0
thag;n2320590 said:
Overall thoughts about the next update:

M99 - The cost increase for the gun, makes it viable only in boss fight or late in endless mode, Like it was in KF1, where the ammo cost was 5000 for full ammo, no one would ever use it on anything except boss wave. I would say that lowering the buying price, to atleast 1600 and increase the ammo back to 31 would make it more useful at more situations than a boss wave. TLDR, 2500 for a gun is way TOO MUCH.

Doomstick - a bit overnerfed in my PoV. The weight 11 makes it unable to carry with AA-12, which is the most needed gun for support, along with its low ammo which allows you to shoot only 11 times which is not much to be honest. Make this gun Tier 5, revert the nerf of ammo back to 76 and lower the weight from 11 to 8, to be as heavy as if you have 2 double barrels. Also lower AA-12's weight to 8.

Have not played Zerker yet (so will not comment about Eviscerator) (actually, since Eviscerator got nerfed at first beta do not like berserker that much), but I kinda agree about M99 and Doomstick
But not 100% and at first also felt like... "WTF Tripwire" :D
It is not so bad for doomstick, but a bit worse for M99. But in both cases they are "okay" if you do not upgrade weapons. And do not forget about mighty 9MM.

In case of Doomstick, it is possible to buy Doomstick and M4 Shotgun and you still have one extra slot for healing pistol (or maybe upgrade for M4, did not check how much upgrade weights). Well M4 is not as fast as AA12 in shooting and reload, but it is quite powerful and with doomstick it hs enough ammo to clear the wave (specially at higher levels, when ammo capacity gets bigger) (unless team dies, then have fun searching ammo boxes) (and since i do not want to prestige support atm, do not know if level 0 support can even carry 20 units). Keep in mind, that doomstick is meant to be large zed killing weapon, so it should be used... as you me guess, for large zeds mostly

But for Sharpshooter and M99 story is harder
Because only reasonable loadout with M99 seems to be with Magnum revolver. Rest in peace, if team does not kill trash-zeds.
I had an idea, to decrease its weight to 10 (from 11), so it could be used with Centerfire, but that is stupid, since Railgun weights 9 units already. Not easy to balance. Maybe it would be good idea to allow sharpshooter to carry 16 units and make Winchester weight 4 units. Dunno... What I mean, I agree, that with M99 Sharpshooter becomes useless in means of general Zed killing and deals only with bosses or large zeds, which is not that bad if team is good and helps sharpshooter to shoot those big things without beeing interupted by trash-zeds

Of course, these things I mentioned also means no upgrades which kinda sucks... like - you can buy weapon you are used to, you can crank it up... and forget that there are more weapons that could save in different situations. Or use loadout you want and forget about upgrades.
Upgrades is the thing that makes it difficult to balance, because everyone wants at least one upgraded weapon that is not 9MM :D

DeadPlayer123;n2320593 said:
Can you please roolback all "reload cancellation fixes", the game really becames unplayable for me with out it, really. I know you consider this an bug, but this is an very important feature for advanced players and its very fun to play with it, and sucks with out it.

Well, reload cancelling was kinda bug, I also support idea of rollback.
But I would suggest to just make reload speeds a bit faster to most of the weapons, to somehow compensate lack of this "bug" almost all community is used to. I think it would be reasonable

By the way, did not someone mention EMP blast from EDAR, that gets killed in weakspot in chest?

That is my two cents, good job + played all day, no lags and saw my hands all the time :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yoshiro;n2320521 said:
  • Railgun
    • Reverted stats back to Tier 4
    • Base Weight reduced from 10 to 9
    • Manual fire Damage reduced from 750 to 560
    • Homing fire damage reduced from 375 to 280
    • Total ammo increased from 21 to 33
    • Ammo cost reduced from 25 per mag to 20 per mag
    • Upgrade to Tier 5 damage modifier raised from 1.1x to 1.25x

Okay... now Crossbow looks OP AF.

• M99 AMR
    • Set as a Tier 5 weapon
    • Removed ability to upgrade
    • Total ammo reduced from 31 to 21
    • Ammo cost raised from 25 per mag to 50 per mag
    • Purchase cost is now 2500

Price from 2500 to 2100, weight from 12 to 11, ammo cost from 50 to 70.

• Doomstick
    • Reverted stats back to Tier 4
    • Ammo cost raised from 25 per mag to 40 per mag
    • Max ammo reduced from 76 to 44
    • Upgrade to Tier 5 damage modifier reduced from 1.17x to 1.1x
    • Purchase cost is now 1500

Weight from 11 to 6.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro;n2320521 said:
Highlights
[*]M99 AMR
  • Set as a Tier 5 weapon
  • Removed ability to upgrade
  • Total ammo reduced from 31 to 21
  • Ammo cost raised from 25 per mag to 50 per mag
  • Purchase cost is now 2500
[/LIST]

So, i recently crunched some numbers. In Beta 2, the M99 deals 850 damage. In Beta 1, the M99 dealt 637 / 850 / 955 damage per tier. Now in Beta 2 you turned it into T5, but took the damage of the T4-variant in previous beta. Why?

Upvote 0
So I'm in the 33rd wave on 6P HOE, zerkers and medics all dead...

I must have cleared 200 zeds on my own as gunslinger before your amazing game code spawned a scrake directly behind me in zed time...

The game was still winnable but I decided to quit from console anyway because it's been _YEARS_ now that you people have had to fix the spawn points...

You're obviously all either trolling or just retarded, but either way I quit for now, enough's enough

Upvote 0
Good to see that you listen to the community, the Beta 2 notes reflect that, but also create some points of discussion.

E.D.A.Rs: Now feels great, but need a little bit more to reach a good spot. The EMP will be added later, I assume? Or am I just having bad aim? Further, I like how they walk slowly and does not dodge when they been decapitated, was that intended? It's great nevertheless. I can definitely see them as a good implementation into the game.

Weapon Upgrade System: Man, I am not fond of it now. Before the betas I felt like you could make do with using a lower tier weapon, like if you put restrictions on yourself, challenging your ability with the perk, but now you can actually make it clearly viable but not as good as the T3-5 which still remains the better options. It feels bad, committing into a lower tier weapon for a game, perhaps not filling a niche in your group depending on what weapon you picked all the way to the end. I think that the Upgrade System should be separated from Survival, to keep the game close to it's roots. Adding it to Endless or a separate new mode instead.

Nerfs & Buffs: M99 need to have an edge and Railgun a nische now that they been separated but I am generally happy with the M99, so maybe make Railgun stun more often? Faster reload? Make penetrating shots not lose as much damage?

Doomstick was overnerfed I feel. I'm on the "Revert-Damage-and-make-it-T5"-train and please change the world-echoing sound coming from it.

Husk Cannon could use more damage. Less then it's first iteration but more then it had in either beta. And keep working on that MWG, we'll soon get it into a good spot again.

The "Fallback" perks being nerfed is fine by me. 9mm should be a backup, not hot stuff preferred over the main weapons.

Overall this beta is closer to what I'd like to see, but a big part still remains to be solved and that is what the Upgrade System should be. A integral part running through the whole game which will see alot of time and energy put into it to keep evolving it? A system used for one or two modes which add variety and incentive to be more economic? Or perhaps not fitting into the game at all? I know I am for the 2nd alternative, but I prefer the main part of the game to be simple and think the Live version is in a good spot right now, what will you commit to, TWI?

/DreaderVII

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluntman420
Upvote 0
After playing:
The EDARS are much less tanky which is good. They make more noise when shooting at you which is also good. The Trapper range reduction is great. So much better. Getting trapped every 2 seconds was dumb. Their looks are not great but overall they are much less enraging and more fun. On their looks, something more like a zed with blood and guts would be better.

The upgrade system is just not doing it for me. The way weapons and their stats were done before the beta was much better. M99 is too expensive. Rail gun is actually nice after playing with it!

Doomstick is ok, but I much prefer using other weapons.

Husk Cannon is viable again thank you! It could benefit from a slight damage boost but it's a good weapon again.

Upvote 0
DeadPlayer123;n2320662 said:
Result from removing bash reload cancelation :
- 50% less servers and players.
Thanks for the fix TW. I will go back to the original until you fix it.

That's quite a leap. I suspect the truth is that not many server owners have either partaken in the beta at all or they haven't patched to beta 2.

Having said that, I'd be really, really happy if they allowed the Berserker to parry properly again. I'm kind of hoping that if I keep saying it, eventually it'll happen.

Reactions: missing_trigger
Upvote 0
RawrUK;n2320676 said:
That's quite a leap. I suspect the truth is that not many server owners have either partaken in the beta at all or they haven't patched to beta 2.

Having said that, I'd be really, really happy if they allowed the Berserker to parry properly again. I'm kind of hoping that if I keep saying it, eventually it'll happen.

What's wrong with parrying? A couple of my parries lately haven't worked but as a zerker who uses the parry skill I'd say that's the least of KF2's concerns...

http://steamcharts.com/app/232090

This chart speaks for itself; note how new players bail just as quickly as they're tempted in... The worst part is the game is comprised of 99% awesomeness with the 1% being insufferable problems that drive most players away so at this point I feel like half of my 1k hours have been pissed up the wall

Upvote 0
ShingoMurata;n2320679 said:
What's wrong with parrying? A couple of my parries lately haven't worked but as a zerker who uses the parry skill I'd say that's the least of KF2's concerns...

http://steamcharts.com/app/232090

This chart speaks for itself; note how new players bail just as quickly as they're tempted in... The worst part is the game is comprised of 99% awesomeness with the 1% being insufferable problems that drive most players away so at this point I feel like half of my 1k hours have been pissed up the wall

That's not bad. It seems on average at any given time, there's nearly 4000 players online. Obviously the population peaks when updates come, but those who uninstall for silly **** are probably not worth wasting time on.

Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2320688 said:
That's not bad. It seems on average at any given time, there's nearly 4000 players online. Obviously the population peaks when updates come, but those who uninstall for silly **** are probably not worth wasting time on.

Hehe. Cute. I do love how toxic the community has become, but at least it was actually a breath of fresh air to come across new players who haven't been tainted yet and are very nice even if they need more carrying than usual...

I and the others who echo my thoughts all have thousands of hours and have generated god knows how much in market commissions, but as I implied, this kind of bite-the-hand-that-feeds mentality is why it's a "not bad" chart (under the circumstances) and not a great one with signs of any real momentum being built... It _should_ be even fivefold more by now and even I was shocked to see the stagnation there after a year still but it speaks for itself like I said

Reactions: missing_trigger
Upvote 0