• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Summer Update Second Beta Changelog

I like EDARs. I like how there are enemies that are not just "shoot in head" to kill... But what frustrates me is that the upgrade system and the "balance" that has to be promised is just such a wasted opportunity... So I'm going to go down all the perk skills and all the weapons IN THE GAME and bring up the problem children.

Berserker: This class is wonderfully balanced: most of the skills actually are hard-to-make choices that are all appealing, and also the resistance vs parry skill is a nice demonstration of having a skill that rewards skill, while having a easier alternative that is weaker. That said...
Spartan vs Berserker rage: Why does the only melee class in the game want zeds to run away from it exactly? That is self defeating. spartan in the infinitely superior pick for this reason. Replace it with battering ram from SWAT… it fits the perk much better, and gives the zerk an incap role in zed time.
Also the evis is in an ok spot, i think, but maybe buff i a bit… like a midpoint between where is was, and where is is now.

Commando: The upgrade system broke this class… to wit:
Take the scar and AK-12: upgrade both to tier 5, and the damage breakpoints they hit on small zeds are the same (you save a bullet on husk headshots with the scar i think; that's it.) while the ak-12 has 15 more bullets per mag and makes scrake killing so easy. They both kill bots equally as well too, so what is the point? OFC the only choice here is AK-12…
It's choices like that that confound me… there is no niche role for the scar anymore… the ak 12 does it better… the scar can't match the stumble power of the med SMG, or the sheer ammo capacity of the Stoner (a weapon that is also weak), so what is the point? The scar needs to have a niche roll killing armored opponents, or big zeds to differentiated from the perfect multi tool that is the tier 5 AK.

Then there is Eat Lead vs HPR: eat lead gives you larger mags to kill yet more trash that you don't really need, while HPR solves rifles biggest problems: recoil and damage… again no real choice here. Why can't eat lead be something like: extends mag size 80% and *while crouching and stationary* gives a 50% recoil reduction and a 15% damage increase: more situational, but can compete with HPR.

Support: A class that does not care about upgrades, because he can carry more weight.
Most if his weapons are fine… I said MOST.
The doomstick turns him into a large, effective zed killer. I know people prefer the AA-12 (i do) but you can mess up that takedown, especially with boomstick nerfed.
-M4 combat shotgun (who saw this coming?): the problem is not damage, TWI, its the fact that it has huge recoil, take forever to reload, and is very difficult to use against large zeds unlike the boomstick, doomstick, aa-12, and heck, even the HZ-12. Also, why does support need more penetration skills? He has, what, 8 penetration at level 25, so why would you need even more?

Medic: Love what has been done with the hemogoblin, the display and put away times were the main issue here. The only issue is with the medic poison… a skill i don't even take in solo because of the poison dance… it makes aiming with all classes impossible, does basically no damage to anything above a gorefiend… again… why is it still in this state? Zedative by extension shares the same issues.

Demolitionist: A class that is really limited into 1 skill build (LLLLL), with only a couple of Bad weapons:

-Seeker 6 (S6): does not have the damage to kill large zeds, does not have the splash to kill small ones. Can auto-aim, true, but when you have the m-79 splash radius, who needs to aim?
-M16-M203: same problem as above, made worse by the fact that unlike the S6, the m203 has no mag, and the m16 does not get demo bonuses.

These are the 2 weapons that frag grenades and the upgrade system could actually make good but… TWI put sonic resistant rounds with frag rounds… Demo NEEDS siren resistance...and frag founds nerf the damage of 2 weapons that already have poor damage negating any bonus gained from upgrading them… The damage nerf with frag rounds needs to be somehow removed or the S6 and the m203, while keeping siren resistance.

Firebug-_-: the bottom of the barrel in terms of weapons and skills:
-Spitfires: Projectiles arc, inaccurate, flares too big to see the actual projectile inside. What is the point of this weapon, especially since we have the mac-10 now, and DoT is awful in kf2?
-Trench Gun: Slow as hell reload, pellets actually arc for some reason, the spread is HUGE Again what is the point?
-Mac 10: better than the last 2, but goes through its mag in 2 seconds.
The point is, none of these are better at killing any small/med zed, even husks, that the flamethrower is (hey at least the mac 10 can detonate the tank). They also bad against EDARs compared to flamer.
-Overnerfed Husk Cannon: Worst projectile weapon: terrible rate of fire, can't kill FP anymore, which is what made it interesting, long reload, long deply time, projectiles slow and hard to aim. Please turn it into a FP killer for firebug.
-Microwave gun: can now barely kill scrakes in a mag with upgrade, so now there is that, but it still makes the scrake panic, the scrake will hit you, and the takedown is messy. It's bad against small zeds dues to resistance and that the ground fire damage is HALVED, and the zeds that it is good with (sirens, EDAR, Husk) Firebug either has resistance to or can kill with flamer anyway. The alt fire knockdown power needs to be higher, more zeds need to have vulnerability to microwave damage… gorefast and fiends have metal, yet they are resistant to microwave… wot?

The perk skills are also poor: Cant take HC fuel tanks b/c you need the damage from bring the heat, can't take barbeque b/c the damage from ground fire is so good. Napalm and zed shrapnel are both of little use, because the expulsion does so little damage and only annoys perks that aim (all of them), while napalm tends to set big zeds on fire, which annoys perks that aim, firestorm is ruled out by heatwave, which FB needs to control big zeds (his only use at high level is a stumble on demand). Why can't the skills have a path oriented to stream weapons (microwave, flamer, c&b) and another for projectile weapons (the rest). Also reduce the inaccuracy and remove arcing and spread for spitfire and trench gun. Flare gun could also "mark" targets it hits (on perk, ofc), increasing damage against them or something, to give it a use seperate from Mac-10. Some suggestion I have for the perk tree:
Tier 1 skills: 35% more stream damage vs 35% projectile damage
Tier 2 skills: High capacity fuel tanks vs high cap mags.
Tier 3 skills: ground fire vs more afterburn damage
Tier 4 skills: heatwave for stream weapons vs stuns for projectile weapons.
Tier 5 skills: as they are now.

Sharpshooter: Fine as is. People say the railgun is still better, but being able to headshot a 6m hoe FP with 4 9mm hits and 1 m99 seems strong to me. The perk skills are perfect.

Gunslinger: Weapons are fine, but line em up is bad vs speedloaders (and in general), and knock em' down seems a little weak. Can we replace line em up with something like if you decap a large zed, all your weapons are reloaded? Hurts the GS against small zeds, but allows him to kill big zeds in fast succession if he has the skill.

SWAT: Another perk with well balanced weapons, but pretty one sided skills. The problem with the armor skills is that they are useless once armor is gone, especially since armor gets chipped away quite easily by trash throughout the course of the game. Heavy armor training should always have an effect, and i would like to see assault armor have mechanic that allows you to get armor mid round, through a mechanic like getting x amount of successive headshots that give you, say, 10 points of armor. Also give the berserker rage to SWAT. Rename it to something like "tactical Superiority/Shock". Swat does not want to run toward zeds during zed time… If he finds himself surrounded after it, he is screwed, even with armor.

Survivalist needs a rework, but i think TWI is working on it from rumors I've heard…

Anyway, that is all. Sorry for the wall of text, but these are the issues that need to be solved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A thought I had after some more playing:

The EDAR are much easier to kill and that is great. They are still really deadly. Like they're at big zed level deadly. I think if they are to continue being that deadly, then the spawning of fleshpounds needs to be toned down and so should the instarage. I'm getting 4 fleshpounds, 2 instaraged, with 2 Blasters, 2 Bombers, and 2 Trappers along with quarter pounds and scrakes.

I also think Blaster damage for how fast they shoot is a little much, they are brutal and have a huge range. It's really crazy lol. For many that I've played with/spoken to and occasionally me, it is rage quitting crazy. I like the game being harder, but it needs to be enjoyable.

I think the making them easier to kill was a right step in making them enjoyable, but they're still more maddening than fun.

(This is a 6 man HoE observation)

Reactions: Chill_it_B
Upvote 0
I'm hoping for improvement with the production release. Without getting into a full gripe session I'll just say that at this point I don't enjoy the Beta.
A couple of quick things.

Like others said the EDARS are out of place in the "zed" horde, they lead me to wonder what is next, aliens and spaceships, flying drones, tanks and so on. IMHO, examples for more consistency with the zed theme would be something like a smaller less powerful husk with a small multi-shot husk cannon instead of the EDAR Bomber, maybe something like a Gorefiend that throws knives/stars instead of the EDAR blaster, and Siren variant that drags you in like KF1 instead of a trapper.

The EDARS are too tough to kill. They are a combination of too many, too resistant to damage, too evasive, have too much weapon range and too fast. I hope that the BETA will give enough data to balance those factors.

For reference I play HOE with 6+ players, have 2300 hours in the game and have run a KF2 server for a year+.

Upvote 0
ShingoMurata;n2320700 said:
Hehe. Cute. I do love how toxic the community has become, but at least it was actually a breath of fresh air to come across new players who haven't been tainted yet and are very nice even if they need more carrying than usual...

I and the others who echo my thoughts all have thousands of hours and have generated god knows how much in market commissions, but as I implied, this kind of bite-the-hand-that-feeds mentality is why it's a "not bad" chart (under the circumstances) and not a great one with signs of any real momentum being built... It _should_ be even fivefold more by now and even I was shocked to see the stagnation there after a year still but it speaks for itself like I said

Your 1000s of hours claim means very little since just about everyone in the forum usually has around the same amount, for more or less. And unless you're a genius in business modeling, I doubt you should say what the population figures should be like at this point. KF2 isn't like Battlefield or Call of Duty, and not everyone is into these survival horror games. It's still doing well with the population it has currently, unlike other games i know where they've stagnated horribly.

Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2320755 said:
Your 1000s of hours claim means very little since just about everyone in the forum usually has around the same amount, for more or less. And unless you're a genius in business modeling, I doubt you should say what the population figures should be like at this point. KF2 isn't like Battlefield or Call of Duty, and not everyone is into these survival horror games. It's still doing well with the population it has currently, unlike other games i know where they've stagnated horribly.

Apparently you want to "nah" everything I say for the sake of it, but there are actually a couple of intelligent recent responses here by guys with a clue, so that's something...

Look, like it or not I've been playing shooters for 20 years and mostly at a high level, and even with how hard the game is unmodded currently... I _still_ carry every HOE game I play with randoms whether I'm playing my typical two pistol gunslinger build or AK RPG mando or XBOW only sharpie or any of the styles I'm known for, and that's why I A) know what I'm talking about and B) can spot folks who don't a mile away

Here are the top problems with the game that casuals _don't_ talk about:

1) The spawning, which is often fine, but if you find yourself in a game where your whole team dies every wave and you go nuts laying down one instant headshot after another to stay out of trouble and keep the game going, the "game conductor" gets especially excited after giving you like 5 MVPs in a row and literally starts spawning armies of big zeds 2 metres away from you... I've literally had squads of pre-raged fleshpounds instantly surround me in their spawn areas, and all it does is make the game arbitrarily difficult... It happens especially frequently in the beta because 10 wave HOE is way harder now, so it's especially full of guys who feel _entitled_ to play on hardest owe to being level 25 or having 1k+ hours like you say when all they do is scrub one game after another because they can barely make it out of wave 1 alive without someone like me to babysit them (problem has existed for like 3 years and is worse for hard carry players like me every time the game gets harder)

2) Corpses blocking shots... Again, most players don't seem to have the depth of palate to be able to notice this problem, but here's how it works... Projectile weapons don't seem to have problems, and that includes some unexpected weapons for some of you. Shotguns are _all_ projectile, _not_ hitscan, and there's a guy above me who's confused about that... He says they're "inaccurate", probably because with projectile weapons you have to aim in front of your target unless they're coming right for you. The hitscan weapons are mostly the pistols, assault rifles, and the subbies. _Those_ weapons don't penetrate corpses for me. What that means is that if a line of crawlers is coming for me and I kill the one at the front, the second one has a temporary shield from me whilst running through the corpse of his friend at the front... The penetration just stops working as soon as the zed's dead basically, and I've literally had flying jiblets block headshots in rare black swan scenarios. Whether that's an easy fix or a limitation in the Unreal engine, I don't know, but it drives me _nuts_ having to double take crawler piles before checking my six or whatever just in case one of my swagnum shots got jipped...

3) Relatively minor maybe, but I think everyone will get me here... The way zeds glitch around whilst jumping over things or coming around certain corners. I've actually gotten used to throwing my aim dead high to headshot a bloat jumping 6 feet into the air to get over a 25cm fence. For me though the most annoying part is how quickly zeds can come around corners... Have you ever checked one of your flanks and been sure it's clear only to be kicked in the side of the head by a crawler 2 seconds later when you gave it your back again? Watch how zeds run around... They just Pac-Man their way around corners at full sprint without breaking stride, so it can _look_ like a flank's clear enough for you to hit a few headshots before checking it again, when in fact an army of stalkers is about to charge full pelt around a corner the instant you turn away...

Those are the worst problems for me and the artificial difficulty they provide basically means having to play like a paranoid schizophrenic even at the best of times in order to avoid from having armour and health jipped off of you in the most irritating ways, and players who are too proud to just man up and lower the difficulty make it worse... You know who you are

Reactions: missing_trigger
Upvote 0
I have 3 dedicated servers and I had to remove this second beta from the servers because nobody liked the beta modifications. The players do not want to see weaker weapons, do not want to see the robots next to the meat zeds, most did not like the weapon upgrade system or the reward of prestige. They are players who are accustomed to playing the well-known old KF and who migrated to KF2. They are players who invest time and money in the game and hope that the game stays as it is. Most of the reviews in the second beta announcement are of negative criticism. Talking to my friends who play, it's clear everyone will abandon KF2 if those beta changes are for the next official update. I particularly did not like anything about this beta, if I have to give a suggestion, put another difficulty above hell or put a customization mode to give the player freedom to choose what they want in the game, maintaining the original. I did not find it fun to play the first beta and neither the second, I am really sad to see people complaining that they do the daily missions and that they do not receive the boxes of the safe, I am sad to see appearing 2 bosses at the same time at the end of the match, among other things more serious as the incidence of bugsplat error in the players pcs. I love playing KF, I have more than 4000 hours in kf1 and over 2000 hours in kf2, I play KF2 3 hours a day. I invested a lot of time and money in this game and would not want to see it being modified as it is in BETA. If the next official update come out with these modifications and the robots, unfortunately, I will close the 3 dedicated servers I have and remove the game from my computer, as many will do, but I believe that TW will answer the rescue requests to save the glorious classic KF.

Upvote 0
phmarj;n2320804 said:
I have 3 dedicated servers and I had to remove this second beta from the servers because nobody liked the beta modifications. The players do not want to see weaker weapons, do not want to see the robots next to the meat zeds, most did not like the weapon upgrade system or the reward of prestige. They are players who are accustomed to playing the well-known old KF and who migrated to KF2. They are players who invest time and money in the game and hope that the game stays as it is. Most of the reviews in the second beta announcement are of negative criticism. Talking to my friends who play, it's clear everyone will abandon KF2 if those beta changes are for the next official update. I particularly did not like anything about this beta, if I have to give a suggestion, put another difficulty above hell or put a customization mode to give the player freedom to choose what they want in the game, maintaining the original. I did not find it fun to play the first beta and neither the second, I am really sad to see people complaining that they do the daily missions and that they do not receive the boxes of the safe, I am sad to see appearing 2 bosses at the same time at the end of the match, among other things more serious as the incidence of bugsplat error in the players pcs. I love playing KF, I have more than 4000 hours in kf1 and over 2000 hours in kf2, I play KF2 3 hours a day. I invested a lot of time and money in this game and would not want to see it being modified as it is in BETA. If the next official update come out with these modifications and the robots, unfortunately, I will close the 3 dedicated servers I have and remove the game from my computer, as many will do, but I believe that TW will answer the rescue requests to save the glorious classic KF.

Nah.

None of these problems exist... Why, what are you talking about?

Seriously though, this guy gets it... For me it's like Derpwire added what was a much needed extra difficulty, but replaced HOE with it... Half of the guys on HOE were out of their pay brackets _before_ the update, so it's become a solid 75 – 80% now that most players can hardly finish wave 1 without spending 10 minutes at the end trying to kill bloats and EDARs with knife stabs and elbow hooks

Upvote 0
phmarj;n2320804 said:

I did the same yesterday, also hosting 3 servers, took out 2 servers, and left 1 in non-beta, server is full, my friend that is still in beta said that there are almost no servers avaliable anymore and in those all of they are almost empty. For me the reason wasent the new features in the beta, but the stupid "fix" on reload cancelation, it just removed an important feature in the game that worth more then all of those new features in the beta, and also, the worse part, it seems devs dont care to listen to us, so I am in the dilema if I keep this server running with out updates ( for who that somehow backup and hack steam not to allow it to update the game ), or just leave this game and goes back to kf1 or to any another game, I will see what will happens, but I am betting people will go back to kf1...

Upvote 0
DeadPlayer123;n2320807 said:
I did the same yesterday, also hosting 3 servers, took out 2 servers, and left 1 in non-beta, server is full, my friend that is still in beta said that there are almost no servers avaliable anymore and in those all of they are almost empty. For me the reason wasent the new features in the beta, but the stupid "fix" on reload cancelation, it just removed an important feature in the game that worth more then all of those new features in the beta, and also, the worse part, it seems devs dont care to listen to us, so I am in the dilema if I keep this server running with out updates ( for who that somehow backup and hack steam not to allow it to update the game ), or just leave this game and goes back to kf1 or to any another game, I will see what will happens, but I am betting people will go back to kf1...

That's the one complaint I don't have heh... Never abused reload cancelling and I did just fine without it, although one of the best players I know who's on KF2 every day told me that it was confirmed to be staying in the game, so I can see why it might piss a whole bunch of folks off to see it fixed now that they've embedded it into their play styles...

Perhaps the reload times could all just be lowered slightly and then there's no need to abuse sloppy game mechanics

Reactions: Chill_it_B
Upvote 0
I have no need to lie. If I'm spending my time posting my opinion here it's because I care about the future of KF2, like I said, I spent and spent a lot of time and money on this game. Increased difficulty is not the problem for me and for many who play with me. The problem is to change things that have been in the game since launch. Adding robots to a game where enemies are flesh, taking firepower out of weapons, directly altering gameplay, etc. are problems that are troubling conservatives and veterans. Of all, I repeat, of all that I know and play with me, none of them liked the changes. I respect everyone's opinion and I want mine to be respected. Whenever I'm online playing, I see one or the other falling and complaining about the famous "BUGSPLAT", it deeply irritates some who come to me asking if they have something to do to lessen the problem. But, as I said, these problems are tolerable and do not make players stop playing, but this beta is being different, some have already stopped playing and have gone to other games, saying that the game was very different from what it was. Anyway, I have been following the posts on Steam about this second beta and one of the posts caught my attention, see ...

3tIWCfg.png

Upvote 0
phmarj;n2320817 said:
I have no need to lie. If I'm spending my time posting my opinion here it's because I care about the future of KF2, like I said, I spent and spent a lot of time and money on this game. Increased difficulty is not the problem for me and for many who play with me. The problem is to change things that have been in the game since launch. Adding robots to a game where enemies are flesh, taking firepower out of weapons, directly altering gameplay, etc. are problems that are troubling conservatives and veterans. Of all, I repeat, of all that I know and play with me, none of them liked the changes. I respect everyone's opinion and I want mine to be respected. Whenever I'm online playing, I see one or the other falling and complaining about the famous "BUGSPLAT", it deeply irritates some who come to me asking if they have something to do to lessen the problem. But, as I said, these problems are tolerable and do not make players stop playing, but this beta is being different, some have already stopped playing and have gone to other games, saying that the game was very different from what it was. Anyway, I have been following the posts on Steam about this second beta and one of the posts caught my attention, see ...

3tIWCfg.png

Lols settle down mate I'm on your side! Only sarcasm as I've already been nay-sayed, I agree with everything you said

And yeah the reason I'm here is the same as yours and also that KF2 is 99% awesome... That's why we all suffer the long loading times and deleted configs and updates that make one wonder whether the developers even play their own game

I like the increased difficulty too but I think an Impossible should be added beyond Hell On Earth so that guys who like controlled difficulty mod—or at least the challenge of having to do three people's work instead of one on account of playing with guys who are still learning—can get some decent practise in and ideally without being trolled by having the game conductor bully you by overwhelming you with pocket SC / FP spawns if you're rescuing every wave, if the corpses all over the floor stop being penetration-proof for the deagle and swagnum, and if maybe stalkers are gotten rid of now that there's so much variety or at least make a wee bit more sound now that the weapons are all so loud

If they can handle that then you guys can pressure them to get rid of the robots and the crosshair and let you all reload glitch worse than before for all I care heh I'll be back for sure

Reactions: phmarj
Upvote 0
ShingoMurata;n2320818 said:
Lols settle down mate I'm on your side! Only sarcasm as I've already been nay-sayed, I agree with everything you said

And yeah the reason I'm here is the same as yours and also that KF2 is 99% awesome... That's why we all suffer the long loading times and deleted configs and updates that make one wonder whether the developers even play their own game

I like the increased difficulty too but I think an Impossible should be added beyond Hell On Earth so that guys who like controlled difficulty mod—or at least the challenge of having to do three people's work instead of one on account of playing with guys who are still learning—can get some decent practise in and ideally without being trolled by having the game conductor bully you by overwhelming you with pocket SC / FP spawns if you're rescuing every wave, if the corpses all over the floor stop being penetration-proof for the deagle and swagnum, and if maybe stalkers are gotten rid of now that there's so much variety or at least make a wee bit more sound now that the weapons are all so loud

If they can handle that then you guys can pressure them to get rid of the robots and the crosshair and let you all reload glitch worse than before for all I care heh I'll be back for sure

I'll wait for the final result. It has been proven that these changes are not appealing to most veteran players. Let's wait and see if we'll be met or ignored. Thank you for agreeing with me.

Upvote 0
I don't play the beta - I just wait for official patches - but I read the forum most days and keep an eye on changes and feedback... I had a feeling that adding robots wasn't a great idea, and the M99/Railgun balance has never sat well with me, but the main problem might well be the upgrade system.

If the intent is simply to nerf everything in order to force the player to spend more to obtain roughly the same result as before, where exactly is the fun? What is the point? It just sounds like grinding for grinding's sake. When I first heard of the upgrade system I had something more cosmetic and utility-based in mind; i.e. purchasing specific components for guns, that physically appear on the weapon and allow for some kind of additional function, as well as being a cosmetic addition in itself. A global weapon nerf in which you essentially have to buy back previous utility levels sounds like the worst possible interpretation of this concept.

I hope I am proven wrong, but the feedback both here and on Steam is worrying, and the lack of dev responses doesn't bode well either. I can't recall a major KF2 update being viewed with this much scepticism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is this game even salvageable without major gameplay revisions?
Honestly, I find the basic gameplay scheme to be really really dumb.

- The majority of the maps are corridor clusterfucks where scrakes spawn around corners and instagib your intestines.
Every time I try a new map, I'm instantly disappointed because the map designs seem so lazy.
There are typically specific, less-bad camping spots on most of the maps, which generally share the trait that they're more open so you actually have some space to maneuver.
Deviate from those spots, and you're liable to get insta-gutted by a dumb scrake that spawned behind a corner, or quickly get blinded by and/or inhale a lung full of green **** that the devs seem to love, and then get toasted by a husk or something.
Or a group of fleshpounds spawn right behind your back and charge at you with an attack that can't be dodged... then a scrake spawns around a corner again and slices your stomach open. Have I mentioned that I hate around-the-corner spawning scrakes?

- The amount of money you make depends on how many zeds you kill, which promotes selfish behavior, instead of some sort of reward system based on what proportion of the team survived or something.
Now we have this dumb upgrade system where you can spend 3000+ upgrading everything to "tier 5".

- Whenever you die, you only drop the current weapon you're holding and the other ones simply vanish.
Not sure what the point of this is, other than to frustrate the player.
Then, when you respawn, you have to try to run back to where you think you dropped the gun, and then try to make it to the trader in time, which often fails, leaving you with very little ammo so that most likely you'll die again.
If you upgrade more than one gun and you die, well then you're boned, because you're losing all but one.
Also, why can't you hold more than one gun of the same model? A teammate with the same model of gun that you dropped can't pick it up for you because of that.

This is just sort of an unstructured rambling post, but it's so frustrating because this game seems to have so much potential, yet there are so many issues that destroy the fun so often.

Upvote 0