• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Studio photographs for promo art

I would much rather have an artistic representation, sure pictures can be used as a source, but the image should portray a feeling an emotion. And not just be a picture explaining the game. In my opinion the second RO boxart, was a really nice one (if they left out that darn sniper).
red-orchestra-ostfront-41-45.jpg
I agree -- I really like artistic representations of things done in a really creative style. I loved that image used for the main menu (seen above) but the freaking sniper at the bottom totally messes it up! Honestly why they decided to include that I will never know.

Upvote 0
Again, I wasn't talking about the design of the box art. All I'm saying is that REAL photographs or (digital) art look much better than renders. I think we can all agree on that.

About the box art...

So a soldier on the front cover instantly means generic and boring POS? That is simply not true. You can have a soldier on the cover and still have an artistic design. And like it or not, those BF pics are actually pretty good designs.

Some of you keep mentioning that you want 'artsy and mysterious' designs but what do you mean by that? Miro's design? Sorry, but that doesn't speak to the imagination at all (I know that Miro's a good designer though). You can't expect the average consumer to recognize the skyline of Stalingrad, and even then, a picture of bunch of ruins draped in depressive colours is not very attractive at all. It doesn't really show what RO is about either. Just a lot of brown and black.

If you want artsy, look at this pic. Lots of pictures of soldiers, yet still very artistic and far from generic:

Spoiler!

More here.

The reason why it's good to have depictions of German and Soviet soldiers on the PR art is because, well, RO2 is a first person shooter. It's a war game. RO2 is not a unique snowflake in that regard. People are drawn to pictures of people. It's in our nature.

As for period photographs, that's also a possibility, as long as TWI can find high-resolution versions of the good ones. Combat photographs are often of poor quality and low resolution though. I liked the picture that TWI used in the press kit, the one with the Soviet soldiers crawling through a trench. The cover of RO's special edition is a good one as well, I agree. But yeah, it would look much better without the sniper. :p I'm sure TWI will come up with a great cover.

Upvote 0
Those pictures you show there are not what I call artsy and if anything i call it generic. Sure showing charcoal pictures makes the display more refined but it doesn't make it display an emotion or feeling, which is what we meant by artsy.

the posters of that guy give a much better idea of what I mean (great and powerful images):
Spoiler!

You don't have to see and know that a skyline is Stalingrad (heck miro's picture isn't even of Stalingrad afaik), you don't have to see in the original RO box art that those running people are Russians. Its about conveying an emotion for me. And that is what for instance Miro's box art shows. As showcased before a box art doesn't have to be an American style box art that shows exactly what the game is about.

For instance this would in my opinion be a good picture for a box art as well:
Spoiler!

Loads of people do not know that it is the barmaley fountain in stalingrad. But the thing is you do not need to know that. Look at the box art of for instance heavy rain. You see a origami in the rain, that doesn't tell you that it is a detective game either. The key is to set an atmosphere for the game.

And the BF3 picture both got the blue and orange issue and the solo dude in the center with some cool stuff around him clich

Last edited:
Upvote 0