• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Starting to get Obsessed

I am starting to get obsessed with HoS and I haven't ever played RO before.
I think it's just everything about this game that turns me on.

The thing that turns me on the most is the developers :)
the interaction iv'e seen just from being on these forums a few days is incredible, I'm not surprised loads of the Call of Duty community is lapping this up.

The other idea I love is TWI giving mod tools out, So come release day some great mod's will follow almost intermediately. The choice this game is giving from release is almost overwhelming.

I really hope my clan picks this game up and rolls with it :IS2:
I remember myself, I had exactly the same excitement 2 years ago, when I installed the game and went into my first battle, my heart was pumping like crazy. After the first 20 minutes I realised that, what I was playing was waaaay much "more" than what I was thought it would be.So much satisfaction, so much adrenaline, so much nearly everything. As someone earlier said it's a lifetime subscription. And believe me the one thing you will always remember will be your first kill. The sensation and the feel of accomplishment. Just awesome :)

Upvote 0
Just be warned... it is a lifetime subscription. When i got hooked up with the ut2k4 RO mod back in 2005 it never really let me go until this day... it's f*cking addictive.

Agreed! Was here from the very first day of the very first beta. Been a huge fan ever since. I still miss the helmets flying off from head shots and rifle slings. :)

Get ya some RO.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I'm not sure what the big deal about tanking in RO is.

It strikes me as being infinitely better in DH, and I could never go back to tanking in vanilla RO now. I tried it a couple of times last week and it just irritated the hell out of me.
Yes but not everyone tries mods. The devs have to talk about tanking from an RO versus RO2 perspective because they can't take credit for a mod team's work.

Regarding what you are saying about DH vs RO tanking, they are about the same for me, mainly because the primary issue I have with both is the necessity of having a separate driver and gunner. I love this feature and it is awesome when it works, but 99% of the time in RO and DH, I get a moron with no mic that drives me straight into a line of waiting enemy tanks despite me screaming STOP or whatever.

So basically regardless of whether I'm tanking in RO or DH, I get the same experience unless I have a friend that is available to join me. The ballistics, new tanks, and improved features in DH don't make much of a difference when the human element gets in the way.

Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
"The ballistics, new tanks, and improved features in DH don't make much of a difference when the human element gets in the way."

Yeah, absolutely agree on that (I know the feeling... from both perspectives :D) but as I tend to grab a JP whenever possible (I refuse to play as a tanker if I'm forced to join the Allies) I prefer to tank snipe on my own. Unless you're tanking with another regular player with a mic whose gameplay style you're familiar with, taking a gamble on some random guy who just happens to hop in and start driving is rarely worth it.

Upvote 0
OK I bought it a couple of days ago, Been playing a lot of different style's of maps around 7 hours so far, felt quite slow and the controls seemed some what over complicated for no reason, like having to press crouch to get up from prone instead of just pressing space bar which your thumb is always on ready to press ,crouch means that I have reach to the button to stand.
Also like in Cod1 it has the scroll through weapons to select nade, In Cod2 they ditched that in favour of nade having it's own button which I find is quicker to select, plus that means you have easy change of your pistol-primary as well.
Same with the binoculars etc.
All in all though found it really fun, Some what frustrating at times but obviously with time and getting to know the maps and other functions.
I really like the melee where you can charge it up and whack! and the bleeding dismembered body parts is pretty cool.

Pretty impressed so far :)

Upvote 0
OK I bought it a couple of days ago, Been playing a lot of different style's of maps around 7 hours so far, felt quite slow and the controls seemed some what over complicated for no reason, like having to press crouch to get up from prone instead of just pressing space bar which your thumb is always on ready to press ,crouch means that I have reach to the button to stand.
Also like in Cod1 it has the scroll through weapons to select nade, In Cod2 they ditched that in favour of nade having it's own button which I find is quicker to select, plus that means you have easy change of your pistol-primary as well.
Same with the binoculars etc.
All in all though found it really fun, Some what frustrating at times but obviously with time and getting to know the maps and other functions.
I really like the melee where you can charge it up and whack! and the bleeding dismembered body parts is pretty cool.

Pretty impressed so far :)
I think you posted this in the wrong place ... since you're talking about RO1.

And on that subject, just keep playing it! The control scheme feels totally natural once you get enough practice.

Upvote 0
I am starting to get obsessed with HoS and I haven't ever played RO before.
I think it's just everything about this game that turns me on.
What ever you do... don't buy this game
It will make every other game you have ever or will ever play NOT FUN!!! It will eat your soul and you will never want to play another game EVER AGAIN!!!

And yes, it is totally normal to be turned on by this game, I sport a giant teepee every time I get on the forums:D

Upvote 0
What ever you do... don't buy this game
It will make every other game you have ever or will ever play NOT FUN!!! It will eat your soul and you will never want to play another game EVER AGAIN!!!

And yes, it is totally normal to be turned on by this game, I sport a giant teepee every time I get on the forums:D

To late, he bought it =P

But I agree, maybe not "another game" but "another FPS", ever since I got RO I've been disappointed with all FPS I've played, except Killing Floor.

There is just something about the way TWI makes the weapons that nobody else can compete against it.

:IS2:

Upvote 0
The only way I could get space-bar to get me up from prone was to use it for crouch. Making it no use for jumping any more or is their another way? :)

Edit: well I just changed space-bar to prone while this does get you up from prone it renders space-bar useless for using it to jump which is what I was sort of getting at, The only position you can go from prone is up so it would make sense if it's default button was jump not crouch or prone it self because it forces you to use another key unnecessarily

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I have "C" to jump.

You don't really need jump in RO unless you have to climb something. In combat is useless anyway, and it drains your stamina.

Yeah that's a good point m8, I hope they change this for HoS as it looks to use jump a little more, I know it's not a massive issue but anything to streamline the controls can only help gameplay.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's a good point m8, I hope they change this for HoS as it looks to use jump a little more, I know it's not a massive issue but anything to streamline the controls can only help gameplay.

The controls in HoeS look like they are gonna be very streamlined, but I think the need for jump will not change.

I don't think real soldiers jump around shooting when they can go prone or simply run to cover. So I suppose its usage would still be limited to obstacles... well, with the mantling system, maybe not even for that.

Upvote 0

From the PAX videos, it looks like RO2 plays much smoother, and that they have put a lot of effort into making the controls more intuitive and fluid, so i am very much looking forward to that!

RO1 did suffer a bit from somewhat stiff controls/movement, and most of it comes down to the engine it was on beeing outdated, it doesen't support things like animation blending and the like, which puts restraints on what they could do, as anims cannot be interrupted without breaking them, but the new engine does support blending, and that's a huge plus for a game like this.

As for RO1, you'll get used to it, it's not perfect, but once you get familiar with it and start to play for real, the figting is just so immersive and the playstyle greates such a cool atmosphere, that you will forget about the minor imperfections with the controls and movement, the game just sucks you in, and offers something that nothing else seems to do.

Upvote 0