• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Starcraft II

Again, I would appreciate it if you had actually read my post. That being said, I've stated my opinion, and have no intentions of starting a flame war with a fanboy.

When Activision/Blizzard (which unfortunately are the same company these days in case you forgot) break up or decide to start treating gamers like human beings again, I will look forward to getting this.

Upvote 0
I'm one of the few people who actually likes the Terran music in StarCraft II, btw. I liked the old one too. It's one of the very rare instances where a soundtrack never gets on your nerves but is still very memorable. I'm not sad to see it go though and I think the new direction that highlights the western and colonization elements of the Terrans is both fitting and cool.

I love the new terran tracks. For me though I need faster music when actually playing. I listen to the SCII music a lot outside of the game though.

Upvote 0
I was thinking of getting this game but most likely won't, for one the region locking pisses me off as I have a lot of NA friends I'd like to play with. Also aside from the good SP the MP seems to be totally structured around competition, there's no space for the casual gamer at all.

I've watched my flat mate playing, he's in the diamond league, and from what I've seen it's basically all rush and micro the hell out of everything, if you can't play like a pro player you will be smashed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've watched my flat mate playing, he's in the diamond league, and from what I've seen it's basically all rush and micro the hell out of everything, if you can't play like a pro player you will be smashed.

The ranking/league system actually works quite well when matching you against people of your skill level. So if you cant play like a pro player there are the 4 leagues below diamond. Theres even a few challenge missions that are designed to give you a good start in multiplayer.

Upvote 0
I was thinking of getting this game but most likely won't, for one the region locking pisses me off as I have a lot of NA friends I'd like to play with. Also aside from the good SP the MP seems to be totally structured around competition, there's no space for the casual gamer at all.

If you suck you will only be put up against people who equally suck (unless you get a string of wins in which case it will throw you up against someone better to "test" you and potentially move you into a higher league). There's plenty of room for casual players. Not to mention you can just play custom unranked matches instead.

Also, if you don't play for a while, you accumulate bonus points so that your next victory is worth far more than usual (depending on how long you don't play)... meaning you don't have to play constantly to stay on the board.

The matchmaking service is really one of the best (maybe the best?) ones I've seen, despite Bnet2.0's other shortcomings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've heard there's a rumor that you can get into an international invite-only "pro" division... anyone know if there's truth to this or how to get there? Do you just have to stay #1 diamond for like 6 months or something lol?

Yeah there are plans for an invite only proleague. Being #1 in a diamond division doesnt mean much. Some divisions are stacked (Medic Alalamo has 8 of the top 100 NA) while in divisions like mine I was #1 for a while and am ranked 3000th on the NA server.

Upvote 0
So.... you're saying the points you accrue from victories and being #1 in diamond does not determine your potential of getting into pro league? ... so how the hell do they determine who gets in? Win/Loss ratio?

Noone knows. If there was a ladder season there would have to be an official ranking somewhere so we'll have to see when and how Blizz implements it. For now you can look at the third party site; [url]http://sc2ranks.com/[/URL]

Blizzards released top 200 and that page had some differences compared to the site, but nothing too major that it would make it a useless resource.

Upvote 0
The game's been sitting on my shelf unopened since launch day. I finally had time to sit down and play it yesterday. It's really really good. The amount of detail and production value is amazing. Graphics are better than the beta and sometimes look like they are hand drawn concept art. I played through 3 or 4 single player missions and every one is unique and expertly designed. Extremely pleased with the game so far, and that's coming from someone who's not the biggest scifi fan and hasn't been seriously into an rts game since Age of Empires 2.

Upvote 0
Wow that was a hilarious replay. The toss player shoulda started attacking the Zerg buildings a lot earlier instead of trying to chase a round a well microed speedling though...

That drone becoming a "refinery" (I dunno why I'm a Z player and all but I can't rememer the name for some reason) at the end was brilliant. I dunno if I would've had the presence of mind to do that.

Upvote 0
Started playing mp today. Got placed in Bronze league with a 2 and 3 record. My second to last placement match was against a 13 year old who beat my ***. That was upsetting.

Then I started playing normal league matches and lost every single ****ing one. This game is so damn hard. I'll spend the first 15 minutes building up a massive army just to have it sent out and be eviscerated in 10 seconds.

And then there's the cloaked enemies you can't fight at all unless you make them visible. How the **** do you combat that?! I'll build up a huge *** army and then have 2 cloaked bastards stroll up and destroy all my buildings like I'm not even there.

Or then the one time I destroyed this dude and what I thought was all his **** but little did I know he had another base on an island where he amassed a group of 10 air units that I was virtually defenseless against. They rolled my massive army over.

It's like the only chance I have is to get units out the door and do some early damage but by the time I feel I have enough units my opponent already has a solid defense. So I amass an army only to have his army be equal in size but be filled with elite troops. Or I'll amass a big enough army only to be countered by some ****ing troop that exploits my only weakness. The amount of things you have to consider is ridiculous.

Bottomline, I suck balls at this game.

Upvote 0
Haha don't worry man you'll get better. I feel your pain. I lost all but one of my placement matches but worked my way up to gold in about a week, then got demoted to silver when I got my *** handed to me. Now I seem to be in a much harder silver league (either that or everyone's gotten better) so I'm gonna have to really bring it to move up. I wanna get to plat at least.

Just go to sc2armory.com they've got all the units listed there with their abilities, damage, health, armor, etc. Very helpful

As for stealth units, yes you need to have detectors at every key point in your base and DEFINITELY with your army). The detectors in the game are (someone posted this for me when I asked so I'm posting it for you):

Zerg -
1. Spore crawler
2. Overseer
3. You can use infestors to reveal invisible units with fungal growth.

Protoss -
1. Photon Cannon
2. Observer

Terran -
1. Missile Turret
2. Scanner
3. Raven
4. You can use ghosts to reveal invisible units with EMP.

Watch a couple "pro" replays to get some ideas. Just ask on the forums who to look up.

Basically you have to play very very fast and be aggressive. Gameplay in the campaign is totally different from MP (campaign most missions, I at least was turtling up till I had a huge army and wiped the map clean) If you turtle in MP you're probably going to get ****ed, especially if you're playing Zerg (well no, DEFINITELY in that case). Harass your opponent, and scout CONSTANTLY so you know what he's up to. (even if that means sacrificing some units) and expand when the time is right.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking "just a few more units then I'll go". That game Ziggy posted... ONE zergling won the entire game.

And pick your battles... try to always be at the advantage in fights... use distractions etc. The options are limitless.

And if the dude's base is heavily defended, either drop in from behind on his mineral line, or just let him waste resources on immobile defenses while you take over the entire map.

A good 50% (or more?) of games are over in less than 15-20 minutes so keep that in mind... I'm talking 1vs1 here (all I play)

Last edited:
Upvote 0