• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stand Alone game

Stand Alone game

• Stand Alone game

Votes: 40 12.0%
  • DLC that requires RO2

Votes: 138 41.4%
  • Free

Votes: 155 46.5%

• Total voters

hanky

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2011
So let me say after seeing the new trailer It looks like the Rising Storm team isn't messing around. This game looks like its being worked on by a pretty descent team and is probably going to be a very good game.

But many people are worried about the player base. So I wanted to start a poll if people think this game should be a stand alone game. That way people who don't want to buy RO2 can have the option to just pay for this game.

My proposal is to sale the game as a stand alone game for around the 10-20 dollar range.

If you own the first RO2 you can maybe get a discount on RS.

So let me say after seeing the new trailer It looks like the Rising Storm team isn't messing around. This game looks like its being worked on by a pretty descent team and is probably going to be a very good game.

But many people are worried about the player base. So I wanted to start a poll if people think this game should be a stand alone game. That way people who don't want to buy RO2 can have the option to just pay for this game.

My proposal is to sale the game as a stand alone game for around the 10-20 dollar range.

If you own the first RO2 you can maybe get a discount on RS.

I think it's a little more complicated than that, you can't just sell Rising Storm independently, that means the Rising Storm team would have to buy the engine or create their own is it not? The RS devs would sure know this better then me :)

I don't mind paying for a well made/researched Pacific Front game like RS will be. Last trailer has convinced me of their dedication which I interpret as an important quality factor.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your kind comments guys.

As has already been mentioned, this is indeed a complicated matter - there is the question of the license, of course.. and these things are not cheap.

There is the question of the incredible complications if, for example, someone got RS as a standalone, then decided to get HoS as an 'expansion' to it... etc. etc.

My head hurts a little after preparing for today's publicity push and thinking about this certainly does not improve the matter. ;)

One thing you can count on, though, is myself and the team are going to be busting a gut endeavouring to live up to everybody's high expectations.

Reactions: Bashenka
Upvote 0
Well I'm not sure, and franky don't know. I assumed that TWI owned a license for the UT engine and as long as it published by them it's under the license. But I really don't know. Just what I thought sorry if Im wrong.

Lets just say for a second they could. Would you oppose the idea of RS being its own game? Game/Price wise.

Again I'm not sure if its possible. But wouldn't it be easier to sale a full game for a cheap price than a Expansion from another game? Again this is a question and total open to discussion not going to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
I would prefer standalone myself. Purely for the reason that HOS got a really bad launch. I think that as a standalone RS would do better in the current state. But I'd like a standalone that sorta blends in with the base game. The british arma update was something like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I think if the game is quality enough it SHOULD convince some people to try out RO2 also, or dust it off again. Now with the SDK on the ground floor and a pretty obvious large content/gameplay update coming up for RO2 it should be a pretty damn decent game to play again.

Hopefully RO:Classic will bring back some oldies, and attract some realism people. While the original mode will keep it's nice base.

But bah, I'm rambling. IMO I think it should be paid, but it needs to have quality which is pretty obvious to have after the trailer. Isn't it TWI decision though?

Upvote 0
I said Stand Alone, just because I think the guys should get PAID. :)

Let's hope I feel that way when its released.

I agree with this sentiment. To repeat what has been said in previous threads, the RO2 player base could not survive the splitting that would occur if Rising Storm is a paid DLC. Rising Storm needs to either be a free mod or a paid standalone. The standalone method is often used for expansions, for example Company of Heroes, Men of War, Red Dead Redemption zombies, and the new Shogun 2: Total War expansion. Bad Company 2: Vietnam is not standalone but the game is so huge that it worked fine.

I don't think that RS would have to cost in order for the team to get paid, though. The release of Rising Storm as a free mod would absolutely drive RO2 sales through the roof, especially coupled with a sale. Anyone who has read the statistics on Steam sales knows that a reduction in price for a sale leads to a many-fold increase in dollars sold. I think one statistic was 75% off => 800% increase.

Upvote 0
I am for a DLC.

The risk is to split the community is RS succeed and see it die like MN if it become not enough popular.

Personally, the ideal is maybe a different game/UI/launcher. But an unified browser.

Something like: When you're playing HOS and want to join RS, just click the server and it will close HOS, launch RS and automatically join. And vice versa.

So people who are playing HOS will be aware of the RS servers and not completely "forgot" the game like it happened to MN. And vice versa.

Upvote 0
I can't really vote yet. I'm sure the RS team will do a great job with what they have, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking of the current HOS gameplay that I am not too happy about. Will it be addressed by TWI or will it carry over into Rising Storm?

If it does, then sadly I will say I will be a bit disappointed. Not in the work or the maps, textures, sounds etc, especially from a mod team. Just that it will be more of the same in a different setting. I guess what I am saying is that a lot depends on how TWI handles things now with the base (realism) game and just what direction the RS team goes if TWI doesn't change anything.

Just a side note: A bit bummed out about SLYK and DRECKS no longer being on the team. I have been following their maps since early COD and I personally think they had created some of the best maps around for ROOST. Now from what I gather, I'm sure we will see some great, industrial style maps for ROHOS from DRECKS, but from what little bits I have picked up about SLYK (and I could be wrong, don't quote me), he was not happy at all with how ROHOS turned out. A shame really, his mapping style is greatly missed.

Upvote 0
but from what little bits I have picked up about SLYK (and I could be wrong, don't quote me), he was not happy at all with how ROHOS turned out. A shame really, his mapping style is greatly missed.

As Slyk left before the release of ROHoS, I would not infer too much about the nature of RS from that fact.

Upvote 0
As Slyk left before the release of ROHoS, I would not infer too much about the nature of RS from that fact.

I know, that doesn't really say anything one way or the other about RS nor about the current talent there as I'm familiar with more than of few of those on the team from previous mods/projects and here on the forums. More of a comment on ROHOS.

To be honest, I am looking forward to all the projects and mods for ROHOS, but I am no where near as excited about them like I was prior to the game's release. It has nothing to do with the team members of RS (or IC or IE or any of the other mods out there) as I have all the respect for those people who can put so much time and effort into projects and give us extra enjoyment out of the game.

Reactions: [Splat]= Zocko
Upvote 0
I would pay 15-25€ for this game, i think it should be released as an Addon. If u dont own HOS u will be able to buy RS with HOS in a bundle (with an HOS discount ~50%) totally 38€ or even cheaper.
Maybe there is a way to play RS and HOS Maps on the same Server, so there would be only RS servers and only HOS server and mixed Servers like Vyllis said (i hope that this will work, i guess the split in the community will not be that big if you do it this way).

Sry for my english :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Meismenotyou
Upvote 0
Please stop kissing up and saying we should pay for this. We have no idea if it's just another RO2 but in the Pacific. Have a donate button so the people who want to pay for it can donate ( not that they would ).

Um... even if it's another RO2 in the Pacific, it would still be a very worthy buy...

Upvote 0