• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I've always seen the knife-run option as being a concrete way of representing your decision to move faster.

Basically, if you want to move faster, you are now limited strictly to a melee weapon, and in order to draw a more powerful weapon to defend yourself, you must slow down and make the appropriate switch. In a way, it's an implementation to effectively handicap the option of running.

Besides that, the speed boost you receive from drawing the knife is relatively insignificant (even more-so when you are fully encumbered). It was noticeable, but not by enough that I would holster my guns during combat to run away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So let me follow this...

Counter-Strike has a lot of players.
Counter-Strike has increased running with the knife.

So thus a lot of people like increased running with the knife.

I'm sorry, but that's called a fallacy...which is not proof at all.

Edit: And how does sprinting make the game cheesy and ghetto-ish? That's just equivalent to a "NU UH" statement. The reason he said that knife-run is cheesy is because it's silly that holding a knife suddenly imbues you with extra running speed. What's so cheesy about sprinting?
Point1. Its simple logic. If people hated knife increase, they would have switched.

Point 2. Already had to explain that one to someone else. A huge ffing azz bazooka in your hands and a knife on your belt is much more cumbersome then a knife in ur hand and a bazooka strapped on your back. Whalla, again simple logic.

Upvote 0
Point1. Its simple logic. If people hated knife increase, they would have switched.

Point 2. Already had to explain that one to someone else. A huge ffing azz bazooka in your hands and a knife on your belt is much more cumbersome then a knife in ur hand and a bazooka strapped on your back. Whalla, again simple logic.
So now you are trying to run with a heavy rigid object strapped to your back while trying not to stab yourself. Putting something on your back doesn't make it any less heavy, just distributes the weight somewhere else, and since you don't use your arms while running there is no real reason while holding something smaller would help.

If Tripwire was to add sprinting, it should be done in the style of lowering your weapon with a percentage speed bonus based on your current speed, which should be proportional to how much you are carrying. This would make melee types who want the speed more viable since they would still be running at the fairly fast default loadout speed with the ability to sprint even faster, while the person carrying a bulky weapon like a flame thrower would be much less mobile, but still able to get a slight speed boost

Upvote 0
No people would not have switched.

To what? Counter-Strike: The Non-Knife Speed Edition?

You can't say Because people like A and A has B then people like B. I like going to the zoo and the elephant pits smell awful. This doesn't mean I like the smell of elephant cages.

I'm not saying people should run around holding a bazooka sprinting. It should be like most other games where you "sling" the weapon and can't fire it while sprinting, and when you stop it still takes a few seconds to "unsling" it.

Upvote 0
1) adds to immersion, which i always think is a small part of the game
2) makes it feel realistic ( and no i am not saying this should be RO with zombies i just think that realism is a good thing in most cases unless the game is a parody
3) game will be more accessible to new players ( you said you wanted allot of people playing right? )
4) this may be just me but it makes games feel sort of cheep to me but hey i may be alone on this one

now please tell me why sprinting would ruin the game because im confused about that :confused:

I don't think sprinting would ruin the game, I also don't think it'd benefit the game. Switching to the knife or a lighter item is one of the small strategies that gives the game a flavour. If I had to use a toggle speed key then I'd be fine too.

I like calculating walking speed using weapon weight. Try running while holding a heavy box in front of you with a spoon strapped to your back then try running holding a spoon in front of you with a heavy box strapped to your back. You'll find it much easier to run when you're holding the spoon.

Having a set speed and a key to temporarily alternate with a 2nd speed is fine, maybe for those who want more arcade gamer feel but not so great for those who want a more immersive physics feel.

I'd play it with either way

Upvote 0
I think the knife switch will add a more challenging side to the game. If you decide to sprint away, you have to make the decision to be vulnerable. If you sprint around a corner and right into an enemy specimen, it's a challenge to then get your mind, while in a panicked state, to press the button to either switch to a weapon or slash with your knife. I accept the challenge. I could care less about the whole slinging my gun for good looks thing. Give me the dang knife.

Upvote 0
No people would not have switched.

To what? Counter-Strike: The Non-Knife Speed Edition?

You can't say Because people like A and A has B then people like B. I like going to the zoo and the elephant pits smell awful. This doesn't mean I like the smell of elephant cages.

I'm not saying people should run around holding a bazooka sprinting. It should be like most other games where you "sling" the weapon and can't fire it while sprinting, and when you stop it still takes a few seconds to "unsling" it.

Define "most other games'. Cause I've NEVER seen that in a game. Sling it then unsling it? You're just making it too complicated.

Upvote 0
I use the word "sling" loosely, thus it was in quotes.

The Battlefield series, most of the Call of Duty series, Brothers in Arms series, Gears of War (in a sense)...oh and RED ORCHESTRA, the list goes on.

My point is that you can't fire while sprinting in most shooters nowadays. You sacrifice speed for the ability to shoot and react. You also, upon stopping, have a moment of vulnerability as you pause to shoulder your weapon and so if you sprint around a corner you're not going to win the quick-draw against someone waiting for you.

I'm not making it too complicated...I just shouldn't have used the word sling. The weapon is lowered and unusable while sprinting.

Upvote 0
I use the word "sling" loosely, thus it was in quotes.

The Battlefield series, most of the Call of Duty series, Brothers in Arms series, Gears of War (in a sense)...oh and RED ORCHESTRA, the list goes on.

My point is that you can't fire while sprinting in most shooters nowadays. You sacrifice speed for the ability to shoot and react. You also, upon stopping, have a moment of vulnerability as you pause to shoulder your weapon and so if you sprint around a corner you're not going to win the quick-draw against someone waiting for you.

I'm not making it too complicated...I just shouldn't have used the word sling. The weapon is lowered and unusable while sprinting.

Plus, damn.. you guys wanted to make the game "less cheesy". If you want a game thats cheesy with a capital C, then its the Call of Duty series.

Plus, as explained above by Jaek AND by me. again, try to put a heavy object on your back and a light one in your hands, then vica versa. In the first situation you WILL be able to run a bit faster and move a bit more freely.

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra does it this way, though. >_>

I mean technically i could bind b to pull out my knife, and then have it switch to last weapon when I let go of the key. Then holding it would be the exact same as the sprint we want, with the same exact functionality.

That's why I think it's kinda silly..

Upvote 0

Yes, you shouldn't have said sling. I was right, I haven't seen a game where you actually SLING your weapon. Lower it, yes. So don't flame me for actually reading what he said. I've played CoD/Battlefield/Gears/etc. I know that lots of games have a sprint function. -.-

...Try running while holding a heavy box in front of you with a spoon strapped to your back then try running holding a spoon in front of you with a heavy box strapped to your back. You'll find it much easier to run when you're holding the spoon...

Upvote 0
Just join the Army....Any Army, if You slung your primary Weapon (BTW You are not allow to have a sling on that weapon In BFC anyway)...Then expect to have an hairy Ar$ed Sargent's size 10 up your Backside... It just doesn't happen.....Ever
Sprinting with any load will have consequences, rapid heartbeat and respirations will cause serious stability prolems when re-engaging with primary weapon, add to that an adrenalin kick and all of a sudden aiming becomes impossible until You have control over all these factors... Most are trained to go crouched and to regain a normal breathing pattern before firing, this does have it's problem and can be reflexed in the game (Slower movement for a time and as I've already said uncontrolled aiming (even in Ironsight mode) for a short time).
Knife/pistol rolling is Soooooooooooooo CoDv ( that's why i prefered UO:D)

Upvote 0
Ok fine...if we're going to discuss weight distribution in a realistic sense then you shouldn't be able to move while switching weapons.

After all...you're trying to put that LAW on your back in a sling or whatever and then withdraw your knife. That's quite an ordeal to do while running and in 1 second. "I need to be able to run so I'd better holster my big gun on my back, but I can whip it out near instantly at the first sight of zeds."

Upvote 0
I think having the knife out between waves will help me personally. I used to play alot of airsoft. When I was bored, or in between rounds, I would just shoot stuff. Randomly. I ran out of ammo pretty quickly. If I have a knife out in this game, it will draw me away from being trigger happy and wasting precious ammo. Of course, that's just me.

Upvote 0