• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Split Screen! Woohoo!

It was announced / unveiled as a title for SteamOS. Make a guess, will it have proper controller support or not? Think hard before you guess! :p
Doesn't necessarily mean anything. From what I heard Steam controllers are meant to work with games that don't support controllers. But of course, those are going to be expensive as hell and I'm sure many people already have their own preferences of controllers, whether it be Logitechs or most often XBOX 360 controllers. THOSE are what I'm asking about.

Upvote 0
If it's a SteamOS title it should support Steam controller natively (not legacy/kb&m emulated)

**** xbox crap, it has been the standard for controller PC gaming for way too long
Why should we have to upgrade? I use my XBOX controller for everything and I don't want to have to use that funky Steam controller. The Xbox 360 controller is perfect. Comfortable and compatible with almost anything.

Upvote 0
In this case we mean "LAN co-op" as well as standard. Sorry, not planning on split-screen.

I'm pretty sure most people consider LAN support as... something automatically included in most online-multiplayer titles? It's really weird for an online game to NOT support LAN unless it's some BS EA-Games or Blizzard or GFWL thing.

"Local Multiplayer" signifies "one machine and one copy of the game" for most people. I'd really recommend fixing the tags on the steam page before every discussion on the Community Hub and half the reviews post-release dissolve into "Where's the local co-op we were promised? I only see online and LAN here"

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure most people consider LAN support as... something automatically included in most online-multiplayer titles? It's really weird for an online game to NOT support LAN unless it's some BS EA-Games or Blizzard or GFWL thing.

"Local Multiplayer" signifies "one machine and one copy of the game" for most people. I'd really recommend fixing the tags on the steam page before every discussion on the Community Hub and half the reviews post-release dissolve into "Where's the local co-op we were promised? I only see online and LAN here"
Exactly. Pretty much every game supports LAN. Local Co-Op means just one computer and multiple people.

Upvote 0
I got a better idea other than changing the tags; add split-screen to the game.

It would be so awesome, please consider it TWI.
Agreed. It is built right into the engine anyways. They could make it so that the split screen player shares the same perk levels as the player that is logged in. Steam big picture also has a feature in progress that allows each player to be logged into a ssteam account so that could be used too. Kf would be an awesome game for split screen, I hope twi gives it some thought.

Upvote 0
I got a better idea other than changing the tags; add split-screen to the game.

It would be so awesome, please consider it TWI.

Yes please. Every co-op game should have split-screen on PC. This is a great way to help convince console players that PC is definitely the jack of all trades. I hate it when a game has split-screen on consoles but not on PC. Our PCs can handle it (even better) and we usually have at least one 360 gamepad.

Upvote 0
If the PC version isn't getting it, I see no reason the PS4 version would. It just wouldn't make sense at all to make that feature console exclusive and I hate it that many developers actually have that mindset.

Well it seems like it would make sense to me, as consoles are more often played from the couch, thus encouraging more streamlined co-op. I know that games with split screen on PC exist, but I don't know anyone who's played them. It might become bigger once SteamOS gets off the ground, but until then it seems like the couch is predominantly dominated by consoles. I see where you're coming from though , as it seems like it would be 'relatively' easy to add split screen for pc if they already have it on consoles. So if they said no to pc, does that apply to all other systems? I hope not.

I feel that split screen co-op shouldn't get overlooked for consoles, especially for a game like KF2. It provides an opportunity for new players (aka friends/significant others who don't own the game) to be much more likely to be exposed to the game. If PS4 owners can simply plop down next to some friends and show them around and have them experience it for themselves, I feel like the audience for the game could be far more widespread.

This way they don't have to buy it, and can treat the session as somewhat of a trial. If they like it enough (which everyone will of course :D) then they can go back and buy it on their console/pc at home. Or if they don't have that option or choose not to, at least they've become aware of the world of KF and will keep an eye out for it and future installments down the road.

Plus split screen with KF2 sounds like a goddamn blast. Non-stop hilarious good times, killing zeds with friends from the comfort of your couch.

It seems like a great way to advertise for tripwire.

Of course the arguments against split-screen arise: extra cost of development/potential loss of sales (people who just play it at a friend's house without purchasing it themselves), and optimising the game to share it's resources/downscale for a smooth multi-player co-op. Optimisation seems like one of the biggest costs of development time, as everyone would need to get stable FPS/ turn the eye candy down to make the game work when dividing its resource draws. Also progression might work strangely with multiple players on a single account, so that would have to be taken into consideration as well.

After all's said and done though, I'm sure tripwire would love to add split screen if it was easy, so the question is, would it be worth the time and resources if it wasn't? And if not at release, would that be something that could expand their sales if they add it at some point down the line?

EDIT: Just food for thought, but I for one don't own a console, and only play pc. That being said, I'd very seriously consider getting a console if split screen was an option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I'm saying is that I love split-screen and local multiplayer of all kinds. I play two+ player games on my PC all the time. I have it hooked up to a TV after all and I have multiple controllers. It never makes sense when a game that is both on consoles and PC doesn't support split-screen on PC. There's absolutely no reason for that to happen because the feature was already developed for one platform so it might as well be added to the superior, more powerful platform as well.

Upvote 0