• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Spawning on a squad leader?

I'm not totally against spawning on squad leader, it is supposed to help promote team work but I could easily live without it.

However, part of the problem is where players actually spawn. For example:

- As an attacker, you should not be able spawn on squad leader in or behind an objective you are trying to capture. Maybe spawn nearer to the objective than the current spawn points, but too far forward should be a no-no.

If little things like that example above were fixed, I think many people would have less issues with it.

Upvote 0
I was top of the leaderboard yesterday as SL1 with 4 self defense kills. I only got points from a couple of caps & one arty round, it all came down to positioning myself in a strategically sound position near the cap, staying alive and spewing out teammates. We won the round and that was part of the reason, we could get our guys into the caps faster than they could.

It's an example of how failed the system is when that is an effective way to play SL1. If I'm another SL, I'll worry less about being a spawn location, but with SL1, it can be a deciding factor in the round. :rolleyes:

I'd rather have rally points.

Upvote 0
I'm not totally against spawning on squad leader, it is supposed to help promote team work but I could easily live without it.

However, part of the problem is where players actually spawn. For example:

- As an attacker, you should not be able spawn on squad leader in or behind an objective you are trying to capture. Maybe spawn nearer to the objective than the current spawn points, but too far forward should be a no-no.

If little things like that example above were fixed, I think many people would have less issues with it.

I can think of a hackish way (making up function names here):

Code:
function bool CanSpawnOnSL( Pawn SL )
{
     if(!SL.InCapzone())
     {
           if(VSizeSq(SL.Location - SL.OrigSpawnLoc) <= 25000000)
           {
                  return true;
            }
      }
}

Save an SLs spawn location, don't allow spawning on this is SL if he's in a cap or more than 100m from his spawn location.

Upvote 0
Before Rising Storm was released you could not spawn on SL if he was in cap or visible by enemy. After RS came out the cap zone limitation suddenly went away, not sure about the visibilty part though.

You are wrong, I think. It has been a server side setting since release of RO2. You can not spawn on SL if he is too far inside the cap zone from the edge of it. Squad leader can be on edges of cap zone which allows players to spawn on him. If he is too far from the edges players can not spawn on him. This tactic is also known as a "zerg hive" where SL only concentraces on hiding around edges of cap zone to maximize the attacking potential.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was top of the leaderboard yesterday as SL1...

It's an example of how failed the system is when that is an effective way to play SL1. If I'm another SL, I'll worry less about being a spawn location, but with SL1, it can be a deciding factor in the round.

I dont see how this is a example of a failed system.
You did an exellent job as a SL (spawnpoint), and therefor got rewared with points.

For me its the example that the system works perfect.

Upvote 0
I dont see how this is a example of a failed system.
You did an exellent job as a SL (spawnpoint), and therefor got rewared with points.

For me its the example that the system works perfect.

Perhaps he is referring to the fact that Squad Leader 1 gets most of the players auto assigned to that squad, and the other squad leaders are just there for 'decoration' :p

Upvote 0
I dont see how this is a example of a failed system

If TWI's goal was to have the SL's primary role be that of a mobile spawnpoint, then I'll agree, it is a success since you can rack up the most points this way as SL1.

As a player, I find it dull and simplistic. I'd rather be rewarded by calling arty and leading my squadmates into the cap.

Reward teamplay and unit cohesion instead. Maybe the longer a squad stays together, the greater their resistance to suppression, give points for protecting your squadmates. Things like that could help, especially if it was easier to pick out your squaddies on the battlefield.

Upvote 0
They really should do a better job of making squad assignments more even.

I think others have suggested that if you make the Squad Selection Screen the default screen instead of the Class Selections screen, most players would then select their class and choose a squad and it would mostly even itself out. Just swap the two...

Upvote 0