• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Something has to be done about the ridiculous accurate hipfired mgs!!

While a few are saying that hipfiring is too accurate (I'm not), the majority arguing are not against hipfiring the MGs. They are arguing the fact that you handle the heavier MGs as quickly and easily as the lighter SMGs, which is clearly wrong. That is why the suggestion for the extra mouse click has been on the forums since nearly the beginning of the game and is repeatedly being brought up.

There is also the issue of moving while firing which I think has mostly been fixed in Classic mode (or Classic Weapons Handling setting), in Realism I'm not sure and not entirely clear on that.

I just tested this with the MG-34 against the PPSH-41. The PPSH-41 appears to have an 'artificial' jump in recoil, artificial as in the recoil doesn't seem to be constant. My guess is this was included to reduce "running and gunning" gameplay. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also shot at some bots with the 34 unsupported. 50 meter shots can be accomplished but you'll burn up a ton of ammunition in the process. That being said, 50 meters is not a very far distance and the MG will still lose out to accurate fire.

Upvote 0
mgs were used hipfired in urban environments for its penetrative properties and high rate of fire. and i don't think anything spewing metal projectiles out of a barrel over a foot long is going to be "inaccurate" in any sense of the word, it would be quite accurate, but you'd need to walk your fire onto the target using tracer or impact kick up as cues. if anything, the game version has been "balanced"

Upvote 0
Well you would say that, you made this thread. :p

I've seen more people fail at hipfiring MG's (even when I'm practically inside them) than being successful. The max range in general has been 20 metres, and you can damn well bet it wasn't first shot first hit because they fired on the move. Only the chaps with the rolled up sleeves have had consistent success, and even then I find that if you know they're coming (and who doesn't? These guys don't crouch walk and they shoot at things along the way) you can take them down before they get a shot off.

Now, with practice, crouching (reduces recoil) and keeping still (also reduces recoil), you can extend the hip-fire range to 50 metres but you have to be in the open somewhat and are a sitting duck.

Also, how come I don't see threads saying that hip fire on the bolt actions is ridiculous? You can do these 50 metre hip-shots while jogging along. :D
Woahrly does 60 Meters from running while turning with mg34 if you ever encounter him online ;)
Rifle hip shot is far easier to do in reality and mostly only Clans practice it. Its also not possible to clear a Room with it.
I am not against standing and shooting with mgs though. Just a little but more preparation time would be nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I agree. MG recoil tends to get exaggerated in movies/games.

All that weight soaks up a good deal of the recoil.

One handed 30-06 belt fed MG. ;)
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQG6eXpq3A[/URL]

If you look downrange, his shot spread is maybe 15-20 ft. Not necessarily a tight nit group in the center of a bullseye. Good chance he would have missed someone standing down there.

Upvote 0
If you look downrange, his shot spread is maybe 15-20 ft. Not necessarily a tight nit group in the center of a bullseye. Good chance he would have missed someone standing down there.
Yeah I mean, MGs don't handle well. I s'pose people are referring to that when they say MGs are uncontrollable. I just mean they while uncontrollable, they don't actually kick all that much so these games where you fire an unsupported MG and your muzzle points perfectly vertical after three rounds aren't doing it right. I'm still in favor of MGs being uncontrollable.

Upvote 0
You guys realize he did that ONE HANDED. Obviously, he wasn't shooting for groups with one hand. Just shows the relative controllably of a heavy automatic weapon with a powerful cartridge.

Even without a second hand supporting the fore end of the gun, it doesn't dance as much as one might expect it to.

Add proper stance and a second hand on the MG and you could definitely make some decent hits a close range, using bursts and point shooting.

Full auto fire is not for precision, anyway. Ask the guys who use select fire M4's in combat. Full auto is rarely used unless you're at extremely close quarters, and that's with a rifle with a low recoiling cartridge, and the rifle is designed to be ergonomic.

Upvote 0
Full auto fire is not for precision, anyway. Ask the guys who use select fire M4's in combat. Full auto is rarely used unless you're at extremely close quarters, and that's with a rifle with a low recoiling cartridge, and the rifle is designed to be ergonomic.

You are disregarding the ROF. An assault rifle or smg that fires maybe 300-600 rpm on full auto will typically have a more "felt recoil" than a machinegun that fires 1200 rpm. At lower rounds per minute, the human body reacts and tries to compensate the "kick". For high rate-of-fire mg's, the recoil feels continuous, allowing the shooter to relax into the "push".

In short burst fire, the recoil of a mg will feel similar.

Upvote 0
With the upcoming implementation of the Mg42 its time that TWI is finally doing something about this horrible stupid possibility to hipfire the mgs like Rambo or Stallone on Lsd. In Ro Ost it was nearly impossible to be so effective with a hipfired Mg34. You could only get kills with badass luck. In Ro2 the Mg34 and Mg42 are super accurate and super

Upvote 0
I'm sure invading Allies would have liked to see this implemented during WW2.

IRL the MG42 is a VERY stable and reliable high ROF mg, why else would have been copied in many varients for over 50 years?
Well I just meant when firing unsupported. Honestly I don't know what an MG42 does when you fire it without supporting it but I know it doesn't go vertical, so sway seems like a better bet.

Upvote 0