• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So, what is the point of the DP-28?

^ this

this is not a game where things get balanced trough weapons or soldiers physics, but trough map size, map layout and lead in reinforcement from the get go.
this game gets balanced so that both teams have the same number of players. (auto-balance) if it were "realistic", the game would force the germans to have less players, or reinforcements most of the time.

Upvote 0
:eek: the middle mouse button like the mg-34? i guess i just never tried that.:eek:
Naw, just quickly tap the fire button. (Rate Of Fire is low enough to do it fairly well ^^)

alas I don't think there is anyone with a lvl 50 DP.
As a player with the Allied Machine gunner being my most played class with a level 50 DP-28 and a level 27 MG-34, I find that comment really "offensive". :p

I use the DP-28 as an Allied MachineGunner because my team knows that no Axis player would pick it over the MG-34, so I receive less friendly fire and grenades, as well as actually getting ammo from my teammates more often! That and I love the way it looks, fires and handles (Gotten hip-fire with it down very well). It also attracts Axis players, whom often end up walking into my sights... :D

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
While I rarely pick the MG as a class I often pick one up from a dead guy when I see the team needs some suppression fire.I may be crazy but I prefer the DP-28 because of its sight like was said before the mg-34 sight blocks half the screen.

Another advantage the DP had over the Mg-34 historically.Was that it was fielded in far greater numbers.It was much cheaper to mass produce and while maybe not as high quality as the MG-34.Like all Russian weapons it was highly reliable and proved to be highly effective serving the LMG role.

The Russians often had over double the numbers of LMG's in a battle compared to the Germans.The Germans built whole squad tactics around the MG and often took 2-4 people to deploy it having ammo carriers and a spotter.While the DP was a stand alone weapon so it was easy to deploy in large numbers.

Two things IMO that would help balance the MG's in the game without loosing historical accuracy.Would be to make the DP easier to fire from the hip (which it was in RL) and maybe give the Russian side one more mg role slot.This would reflect the greater numbers of LMG's in the red army.

Upvote 0
Two things IMO that would help balance the MG's in the game without loosing historical accuracy.Would be to make the DP easier to fire from the hip (which it was in RL) and maybe give the Russian side one more mg role slot.This would reflect the greater numbers of LMG's in the red army.
not the worst suggestion i've seen around here ;)
+1

Upvote 0
Nevertheless, the Russian advantage in small arms combat was in fact their numbers over the Germans, not their infantry weapons. During the Easter front: a single division of Germans held off five divisions of Russians, until their Machine guns were out of ammo, they then simple withdrew. The Russians took massive casualties, but, they won the ground regardless. The Russians never seemed to have a lack of manpower.

this game gets balanced so that both teams have the same number of players. (auto-balance) if it were "realistic", the game would force the germans to have less players, or reinforcements most of the time.

lol, for how often we seem to make the point of 'This game is set in Stalingrad!' so few of us are actually imbued with any factual knowledge of the event.

As for the DP, I like it. I find the MG easier to use, but not as rewarding. I love the heavier sound the DP makes when firing and it's always great to hear that bang followed by watching another enemy drop. With the MG its more like, 'Whirrrr!!', sounds almost like a sewing machine. I do like the extra ammo though, that ammo counter on the DP sure is neat, just counts down oh so quickly when in action :)

Upvote 0
lol, for how often we seem to make the point of 'This game is set in Stalingrad!' so few of us are actually imbued with any factual knowledge of the event.

from what i've read here over the past few months i must say there are some very knowledgeabale history buffs around that know their sh!t (thumbs up to you guys!).
compared to most people i know, i have a vast amount of knowledge regarding ww2, still some of the stuff i stumble upon here is news to me, and i appreciate every bit of knowledge i can gather. don't underestimate history nerds, they are a force to be reckoned with! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What benefits does the russian machine gun hold over the MG34? The MG34 has faster ROF, nearly the same accuracy, single fire, barrel that can be replaced, and at level 50 you have 550 max ammo with 250 per belt.

I'm just kind of bummed because every machine gunner (including me) just pick the MG34 instead of the DP when we reach the level where you can switch weapon load out. I liked the gun when I was leveling my MG class but I couldn't justify playing with it after getting access to the MG34. The only real benefit I can see is being able to visually tell how much ammo is left in your drum, but with 250 rounds who needs to count?

Am I the only one? Does anyone have some good stories of the DP28?

Well besides the easy method of determining how much ammo you have by looking at the weapon, I also believe the DP28 doesn't heat up as fast, thus you really don't need to worry about changing the barrels.

And towards your comment about "Every Machine Gunner" just picks the MG34 when they can choose both.... I don't.... when I'm Russian, I use their weapons and when I'm German I use their weapons.

On rare occasions I will use the enemy's weapon but that's like once a month.

Upvote 0
Baring in mind that as some point almost all ppl will get this unlock, in the interests of not having a weapon effectively (and i guess unrealistically) disappear from the game, phaps it could be better handled if you unlocked the 'chance' to spawn with an aquired enemy weapon.
By selecting the option you would have a random chance to spawn with one, making it a relativly rare - and therefore somewhat special - occasion

Upvote 0
DP 28 is a better 'locking down point' gun since it doesn't overheat. You can just keep firing.

Often times when using 75 round drums I end up with 2 smoking barrels after a heavy firefight.

That being said I would like to see a DP hipfire buff, since I really do like it.

I have destroyed the barrel on a DP in combat though... Although I had some very useful teammates who kept restocking me with ammo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0